Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Howa 6.5 Grendel

Looks like Howa is finally going to sell a 6.5 Grendel bolt action with a mini action. Looks like it'd be a sweet lightweight hunting rifle...

Anyone else going to buy one?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Looks like Howa is finally going to sell a 6.5 Grendel bolt action with a mini action. Looks like it'd be a sweet lightweight hunting rifle...

Anyone else going to buy one?
    Probably not but I thought it was interesting with the shorter-than-short action.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Probably not but I thought it was interesting with the shorter-than-short action.
    Ya I know some folks have been using the CZ mini mauser actions for builds. Never really wanted one bad enough to build one myself.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm a big Grendel fan & shooter, but to me its main reason to exist is to be used in AR/AK actions.

If I go to a bolt gun I'd jump straight to 308 based cartridges (.260, 6.5CM, 7mm08).

Grendel is optimized for the AR, is inherently accurate without extreme measures required, etc. That's where it shines.

If I had infinite budget I might setup one as a kid rifle, or just for fun. But at costs similar to what I can build a nice AR, I'll probably do that instead.

Unless they ever offered it with a manlicher stock, then I'd be suckered in. Unlikely with howa, but not out of the question with CZ. I do regret not buying a 527 in 7.62x39 when they were cheaper.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Weight is the biggy. With the #1 barrel model with a scope, the weight is 6.7lbs. For a backpack hunter, that's a nice lightweight rifle in a 3-400yd rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thought I'd dig this back up. I bought a barreled action, scored a stock on ebay for 28 bucks, hacked it up (shortened the for end, reprofiled, and painted it) and have a cheap mountain rifle.

All together unloaded it 6lbs 4oz. Scope is a leupold 2-7x33 lr duplex.

I'm pretty happy with it, and it shoots well too. I hope to take a few large critters with it this season (if not with a bow).
    Last edited by J-Dub; 04-20-17 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking grendel!

I went the barreled action route through brownells. I don't have a completed pic with me at work, but here is a quick pic of mine when I received in and the boyds stock.

(From the top: winchester m70 in 6mmBR, Howa grendel in 6.5, girlfriends mossberg MVP)

Feedback Score

Howa 6.5 Grendel

I run one of the Howa Mini's in 223 with the heavy barrel. Really like it. It is light, handy and a tac driver for fox, bobcat, coyote. I'll bet that 6.5G is a sweet setup in that platform.
    Last edited by user; 04-20-17 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will say if anyone from mcmillan or manners sees this, please start producing stocks for the mini action.....please!

Feedback Score
    The 6.5 Grendel is an interesting round. The ballistics on it are crazy....like most 6.5's seem to be.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast