Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FNS discharged in officers holster?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    This is one of the shitty things about light bearing duty holsters. Safariland makes a hell of a retention system but their desire to make a holster for multiple lights leaves me kind of put off. My Raven Concealment holster has a little gap around the trigger but not nearly as big. I'm kind of starting on a rant here but I think Safariland's recent near total take over of the police duty gear market hasn't been such a great thing.
    Good point about the holsters but I think some level of professional responsibility on the part of LEO's (or anyone carrying a gun for a living) needs to be maintained. At my academy we were taught to be extremely careful of such things and especially cords or what-not in and on jackets. They even had an instructor with scissors inspect our jackets and cut those doo-dads out on the spot. If a person doesn't test their gear and clothing for issues then they are a statistic waiting to happen.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Good point about the holsters but I think some level of professional responsibility on the part of LEO's (or anyone carrying a gun for a living) needs to be maintained. At my academy we were taught to be extremely careful of such things and especially cords or what-not in and on jackets. They even had an instructor with scissors inspect our jackets and cut those doo-dads out on the spot. If a person doesn't test their gear and clothing for issues then they are a statistic waiting to happen.
    I agree wholeheartedly and I personally do just about anything to avoid wearing a coat because they make getting at gear a pain in the ass but I still wish there wasn't so big an opening that I can reach my index finger inside and touch the trigger. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Literally every pistol manual on earth recommends an empty chamber. This is ass-coverage. The HK VP9 manual has the exact same bullshit in it.
    That's not even close to true. Ruger, FN, and H&K manuals are the only places I've seen that. H&K striker-fired guns say the weapon must be clear (empty chamber) when carried in a holster, and their other guns must be decocked or on manual safety.

Ruger's wording is wishy-washy:

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol
    with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber
    should be empty, and the slide should be
    closed
    Here's from my PPS manual - the same exact text is in the S&W M&P manual:

• If you wish to restore the magazine in your pistol to its full capacity, depress the magazine
    release and remove the magazine from the pistol. Remember that there is a round in the
    chamber; therefore, the firearm should be holstered or safely secured during this process
    without touching the trigger. Load one cartridge into the magazine to replace the one
    which was chambered when you allowed the slide to carry forward.
    My XD, Glock, Kimber, Kel-Tec, Beretta, Sig, and Springfield manuals don't say anything either way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123