Thread: 20" Custom Build for 600 Yard Steel Shooting

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

20" Custom Build for 600 Yard Steel Shooting

Ordinarily I wouldn't whore my guns out on the internet, but this forum gets more exposure than the Precision Semi Auto one and it may help somebody. If you want to read about the full development of this rifle, click here.

Here is a 5 shot group at 100 yards using a handload recipe I got from a member here. I won't post it as it is over max, but it is a 77gr TMK bullet in LC brass.

I have shot 1.4" at 300 yards as well. Pics are in the thread linked above.

At 600 yards I was ringing a 10" gong with such boring reliability that I actually began to worry about hurting my barrel life due to heat. Believe me when I say that you can sit there and knock down steel plates like it's a video game. It's so heavy there is virtually no felt recoil and zero muzzle rise, but without the suppressor it is not terribly unwieldy.

In short, I made this rifle in order to engage 4" gongs at 600 yards as well as hunt at night using an ATPIAL-C. I feel as if I've made pretty decent choices regarding the parts chosen in order to be reliable, accurate, and durable.

I shot it out to 742 yards (confirmed with a laser range finder) for an accuracy test (technically, precision ) and achieved an 8" horizontal spread and a 5" vertical spread... This rifle is chambered in .223 Wylde.

Parts list:

Lower
    Noveske chainsaw lower
    DD LPK
    Geissele SSA-E Trigger
    BCM Rifle RE and buffer/spring.
    Magpul PRS w/ PMM QD Mount
    BCM Gunfighter Grip
    TAB Gear Sling

Upper
    VLTUR MUR Upper
    Geissele Mk4 15” DDC
    BCM BCG / Mod4 CH
    Geissele gas block, BCM rifle length gas tube
    Atlas Bipod
    Krieger 20" 1-7.7" Twist DHM w/ AAC 51T FH and M4-2000 Suppressor
    ATPIAL-C (Not pictured)
    Surefire M600V
    Troy Front and Rear BUIS

Optic
    Nightforce F1 SHV FFP Illuminated 4-14x50mm
    Bobro dual extended 30mm 0 MOA mount
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-04-16 at 09:07.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Damn dude, that thing stacks those 77gr TMK's! Glad to see it all worked out.

Feedback Score
    What factors led to your decision on the 4-14x50 scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice build! You dropped some good coin on that, but from the sound of it, well worth it!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can relate to your concern about getting a top-notch barrel that shoots great, and then "using it up".

May I suggest that right now, after having some rounds through it, would be the perfect time to nitride it. I don't know what it costs but I'm starting to believe in it.....

http://www.blacknitride.com/

Feedback Score
    Awesome rifle OP. I don't think you want to do nitride after the barrel extension has been installed/pinned/gas hole drilled etc. Nitride process will loosen the extension/wreck the barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nicely executed, Euro
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Damn dude, that thing stacks those 77gr TMK's! Glad to see it all worked out.
    Heck yeah it does. Can't wait to see what happens when this rifle gets some rounds through it. If this is anything like my .308 Krieger groups will really start to shrink after a few hundred rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by greg500sw View Post
    What factors led to your decision on the 4-14x50 scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mainly impatience. I wanted a Night Force but didn't want (nor need) the $2,500 high end stuff. This was $1,250 and a brand new model. They literally just started shipping this to dealers within the last few months and I didn't feel like waiting until next year's SHOT to get the 5-20. The 5-20, to be honest, is what I should have gotten given my requirements for this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I can relate to your concern about getting a top-notch barrel that shoots great, and then "using it up".

May I suggest that right now, after having some rounds through it, would be the perfect time to nitride it. I don't know what it costs but I'm starting to believe in it.....

http://www.blacknitride.com/
    Joel Kendrick uses that exact company, IIRC, to win the 600 yard IBS competition. (twice) I'm not sure I can do that without having to reinstall a barrel extension (and possibly lose the gas port being lined up with TDC of the barrel) however. I really wish I had known about this beforehand as it would have made a lot of sense from an economical POV. It more than doubles the barrel life.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My understanding is that there is no need to remove the barrel extension for black nitride-- I think that's the way they are generally done, had one done that way myself and doing another soon as I get a few rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    Most all nitride / QPQ factory barrels have that process done BEFORE any gas hole/BE work. For a good reason.
    There are a few companies that will do it after the fact, but at your own risk. Many documented cases of ruining perfectly good barrels. The process is too stressful and the BE can loosen up. I personally wouldn't risk a known-good barrel I love to a gamble like that.