Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MP5 vs MP5K-PDW

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Any more info or a source on this?
    Check your PM re source.

Best guess is they will formally announce at the NRA show. Supposed to be available this summer.

It seems CZ, SIG and MKE/Zenith are doing well selling pistols intended for the Form 1 / SBR market and HK wants a piece of the pie.

NFA trusts, mostly driven by suppressors have changed U.S. civilian market and concurrently driven up the popularity of SBRs. I mean Ruger released a suppressor - that is pretty main stream.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in an SP89'ish pistol if I wasn't going to Form 1 it.

I'm curious what barrel will come on these, K or PDW?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    The full size MP5 is better ergonomically and more fun to shoot.

Never gonna happen.

HK hates you and you suck.

Yup.

The stocks are just accessories, and are noted by the "A_" nomenclature.

The PDW has a 5.8" 3-lug barrel, and IMO is an el Camino.

A K-gun has a 4.5" barrel that sits flush with the tripel tree.
    Those LED Surefire hand guards are sweet. The A2 is smoother to shoot and the A3 looks cooler. B&T makes a crap ton of parts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the OP, the easy answer is to get both. I bought the Z5-P first because it was in stock locally at the time it came out, and filed eform 1 the day I bought it. I also have a POF5 and a remarked HK94 but also plan to buy the Z5-RS sometime soon as a corporate purchase. We've done the corporate owned route on a couple of MK18 clones and that has worked out great so far.

For the HK news, here is a little bit on that from one of the best sources out there: http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/05...-new-firearms/

The problems with HK importing a new MP5K variant would be both the German export permits and the ATF's scoring system for imports. HKUSA would have to make some superficial changes (or have marketing reclassify some parts as "match") to get it to 75 points. It is doable, and HK does want to do it since they have hemorrhaged too much money as of late. A nice higher profit item that they can do volume with would help the balance sheet. "SP5K Match Target" or "SP Expert" anyone?

Feedback Score
    What import rules apply to HK that don't apply to MKE or POF?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    What import rules apply to HK that don't apply to MKE or POF?
    None. From my understanding (based on a conversation with a guy from HK Germany at SHOT) was that HK's German management wasn't interesting in playing the game to get the approvals due to German political pressure. Basically the German media has painted HK as the "merchants of death" responsible for all violence in the world - even to the point of creating tv drama as a thinly veiled attack on HK. Exporting "military style" weapons has been a problem since that creates problems at home.

The good news is they had a major senior management change last month and apparently now the obstructionists have left. HK's finances aren't very robust, so making money by exporting becomes a survival strategy for management that wants to stay in business.

To avoid derailing the OP's original discussion further, I created a new thread on the SP5K here

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    With 9mm shoulder fired subguns, I want a small sized package such as mini Uzi or Mp5K. I own both and wouldnt want a MP5 if I have something that big might as well go a little bigger and get a Colt commando. I also happen to own a micro Uzi in Israel, which I would not have bought it if the law allowed me to buy a closed bolt mini Uzi or MP5k.
    What makes you prefer a closed bolt? I'm not too well versed on on sub guns, but from reading a while back I remember people showing a preference for open bolt's. Now that could be just because of the whole NFA drama that surrounded them.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    What makes you prefer a closed bolt? I'm not too well versed on on sub guns, but from reading a while back I remember people showing a preference for open bolt's. Now that could be just because of the whole NFA drama that surrounded them.
    I can't think of any reason why anyone would prefer an open-bolt SMG to a closed-bolt SMG. Literally none.

Except from a manufacturing stand-point. Open-bolt SMGs are stupid easy to manufacture and dirt-cheap to boot.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    With an open bolt you rack the bolt to the rear where it sits until you pull the trigger. When you pull the trigger the bolt slams home stripping a round from the mag on it's way. So it is force you have to work against to try and obtain accuracy.

Closed bolt fires just like you AR round in the barrel, bolt closed pull the trigger.

If we don't need open bolts in assault rifles to avoid cook off, we sure don't need them in a subgun that produces a lot less heat.

I took a mini Uzi that was going to be scrapped to the range with a ton of full mags and tried to induce a cook off. I ran out of ammo and no cook off. I am trying to remember how many mags I took I think it was 20 something mags.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234