Thread: My thoughts on the "best" weapon for SHTF (long)

Feedback Score

Post My thoughts on the "best" weapon for SHTF (long)

I’ve really just been thinking about this a lot lately and wanted to write it down and share it. Due to me being long winded, I have shortened this GREATLY to get to the point but it's still long.

A couple weeks ago we starting talking about each other’s 300blk builds, and towards the end of the conversation he stated, “It’s too bad the 300blk isn’t a viable round for SHTF”. This stuck in my head, planted a seed and snowballed. I started thinking more about what a SHTF scenario would REALLY be like and all those never ending posts on forums that read something to the nature of “Would this gun be good in SHTF” or “What’s the best cartridge/caliber/gun for SHTF”. The more I thought on this, the more I realized the answer; “Whatever you’re most comfortable with”.

Let me explain. I really believe in the Zombie Apocalypse, though the stories/movies/shows are entertaining. I’ll just say that it’s physically, chemically, and biologically impossible and leave it at that. Though a 28 Days Later scenario theoretically could happen and you would “just” have to wait the virus out, but still be stuck in a desolated society trying to rebuild. More than likely, SHTF will be from some sort of natural disaster than an attack (but best to be prepared for either). In either case, other people, non-infected, of sound mind and body, are what you should fear the most. If you watch The Walking Dead, it’s gotten so (unless surrounded) they’re not even afraid or phased by the “walkers” anymore. They either ignore them, or nonchalantly put a blade to their skull (which they make putting a knife through solid bone look WAY too easy BTW). But every time another human comes around, they freak out and act like a bunch of apes at feeding time. That’s because we are horrible, selfish people who are unpredictable. They don’t trust outsiders, and the terrible truth is, they shouldn’t. There have been many disasters that, on a global scale have been small, in which this has been proven time and time again. The killings, looting, rapes are unfathomable. While these are committed by a small percentage of the people involved, this small percentage is EXPONENTIALLY higher than in a non-disaster setting. These disasters are also short lived until some other nation comes in and provides aid. Now imagine no one is coming and this is just how it is from now on. You really don’t know who you are deep down until your family is threatened, you’re starving, or dying of thirst, especially for an extended period of time. And by “extended period of time” I don’t mean, epic movie of the week story about a sports team/family who’s ship/plane crashed somewhere desolate and had to survive for a month. I mean, the world is gone, there is NO hope, and you must rely on yourself or each other to survive for the rest of your life/lives. Chances are, if you’re privileged enough to be reading this on any type of electronic device, you’ve never even been in a remotely similar position. I know I haven’t.

Now, back to my answer on “What’s the best blah blah blah for SHTF”. The usual answer to this is almost as redundant as the question, “AR-15, AK-47, 12 gauge, 5.56, 7.62x39, etc”, all great choices. There is a reason the militaries of the world depend on these. These firearms and calibers are usually chosen (for SHTF) not only because of their effectiveness, but because of their availability. However, there is something no one ever mentions and is at the core of what bothered me about my brother’s statement. Depending on where you look, I’ve seen statistics on gun ownership in America anywhere from as low as one-third of the population to 88.8 of every 100 people owning a firearm. Even at the lowest percentage, that’s A LOT of people, and even more firearms considering that the majority of those people own more than one. If/when SHTF, one of the first things that will disappear is ammunition. When even a whiff of a disaster is about to happen, people will flock to their favorite ammo depot and purchase what they can. Whatever is left will be looted the MOMENT shit really does hit that fan. And though the aforementioned ammunitions are technically more available, being produced more, they are also in higher demand and will be the first to go. As many of you know, it’s hard enough to find 5.56 or 7.62x39 at decent prices as it is today because we buy them out the moment the shelves are stocked. Imagine a panic beyond what we’ve already experienced with Obama. In addition, to those that state “this is why I reload”, I too reload some of my ammo, and though I do enjoy my time at the bench, and it is certainly more cost effective, it won’t really be an option in a SHTF world. The majority of us purchase our components online so that won’t be an option. Physical stores that carry reloading supplies are few and far between and will be picked over just the same as boxed ammo is, and so whatever components you have stored, will be it. Life’s not a video game, you won’t come across reloading benches in your travels full of the correct powder, bullets and casings you need, and you sure as hell aren’t going to be picking up your spent brass and carrying it with you, though I’m sure you’ve been planning on it.

So again I say, the best gun/ammo for SHTF is whatever you’re most comfortable with and enjoy the most. So pick something, get proficient with the firearm, learn how to clean it, practice drills, keep extra parts, and stock up on ammo; because the truth is, you can only carry so much with you, and the only other ammo you’re going to come across is most likely on someone’s dead body, and if it’s still on their body, chances are you’re the one that killed them.
    Last edited by FatedFrenzy; 03-05-16 at 09:55. Reason: Too long

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not many people are going to read your entire novella, it is WAY too long. You need crisp, bullet point thoughts and get to the point quickly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Not many people are going to read your entire novella, it is WAY too long. You need crisp, bullet point thoughts and get to the point quickly.

Agreed. I lost interest rather quickly.

Personally, I don't think the likelihood of SHTF is great enough for me to expend the emotional energy worrying about. But, I'm always willing to be convinced otherwise, as long as the argument is concise, relevant, and well-reasoned.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Was bored by the third sentence.

Too long dude.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I keep a screen shot of this response just to save time.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use your suggestion as a prime example of buying a future rifle for politically induced panics. Prime example would be that if I were going to build (assemble) a 7.62x51 AR platform rifle, it may be smart to go with .243 or buy a spare upper in that caliber. I still don't believe .300 blk is as plentiful as hunting calibers, although I am seeing it on the shelves more and more now.
    In a SHTF (insert yours here) scenario I still think going with a common caliber used by police, mil, and civilians is best along with rifle parts compatibility. So a basic quality Ar15 carbine in 5.56 would be my choice.

Feedback Score
    Yes, buy what you're comfortable with and need but think bulk and long term and buy before a panic, either politically or zombie induced.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You would probably be best off to have a multitude of calibers so you could adapt to whatever you come across.

Feedback Score
    you;'d be way ahead, instead, to stick with one caliber, preferably 223, and spend that other money on reloading components, maybe even a Corbin die and mold set for converting 22lr brass to .224" practice bullets. Also, Ciener Firearms make .22lr conversion kits for the AK, the AR, and the Mini-14. The military bases are full of 223. If shtf, that ammo will be around. So will .22lr. Other calibers, probably not, with the possible exception of 9mm and 308.

Lack of food is not more likely to kill you than people are. Not if you know what to do, which is kill a cow, walk off a mile with a hindquarter, and jerk the meat, the first few nights of shtf. If shtf, people will be shooting each other on sight, a lot sooner than the month it takes you to starve to death.

Whatever you choose, you'd better have a suppressed .22lr option, as in a handgun, with subsonic loads. Because making noise, and having flash at night, is going to be a very bad handicap.
    Last edited by helluva; 05-03-16 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

. And he shortened it