Thread: Chicago gun carry laws

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

Chicago gun carry laws

I have never kept up with Chicago's gun laws since I'm from out of state, but I'm going to start working in Chicago pretty soon so I am looking for insight from people who live in Illinois or in Chicago. I have tried looking up the actual laws online but I found it a bit confusing on Illinois' website.

I do know that out of state residents can carry in their vehicle without an Illinois permit, correct? Doesn't Illinois allow certain cities/areas ordinances that ban certain guns and mag capacities? I will be working/traveling through the south side and Bridgeport areas of Chicago if it matters. As far as I know the only problems I might have are with the Glock mags because of capacity. Do I need to get neutered mags to be legit? Also, what are the penalties for not complying? Just curious.

edit: I forgot to add, I do have an out of state permit
    Last edited by black22rifle; 03-11-16 at 20:24.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I believe those were superseded by the new carry laws.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Hi, I am an Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor, and I live literally across the street from Chicago. I am however not a lawyer and nothing I say is to be considered legal advice. You should always consult your attorney with specific legal questions. if you do not have an attorney, I can provide you with a list of firearm friendly attorneys.

If you are an out of state resident, and you do not have an Illinois firearm concealed carry license, then you MAY carry in a very limited set of circumstances. First, if you are legal to carry in your state of residence you may carry a concealed or mostly concealed handgun on your person within your vehicle. You may not exist your vehicle except for the sole purpose of storing the firearm in your locked trunk. If you exit your vehicle, you must leave the firearm within your locked vehicle or within a locked box within your vehicle.

You may also carry a firearm on the property of another person with the owner's permission. You may also carry within your domicile (temporary apartment, RV, or hotel room).

The Illinois state police website is outdated at best and is actually inaccurate when it comes to local municipal laws. For example, you may still be able to find the Chicago handgun ban which is long since defunct, but hasn't been removed. You can also find the Chicago firearm registry which was made defunct by the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Law.

If you are looking at Public Act 098-0063, don't. That will give you only a partial picture of the law. The original text of Public Act 098-0063 is outdated because it has been amended. Better to read the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Compiled Statute. This will include the amendments, but is still only a partial picture because FOID law and The Criminal code do apply. In addition so too do some municipal codes.

As for municipal codes, the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry act invalidated all gun bans, as they relate to hand guns. The regulation of hand guns is now the sole function of the state. However Chicago and some other municipalities don't feel magazines are part of the handgun and therefore have regulated capacity. Some too, such as Chicago, have regulated lasers.

Capacity in Chicago you say? Yes, well Chicago has an ordinance which (off the top of my head) limits a firearm to 12 rounds. However to my knowledge, and I follow this topic very closely, nobody has been arrested for having a magazine of larger than 12 rounds or for having a laser. I have also heard rumor though not confirmed for myself, that Chicago PD sent out a memo telling offers not to arrest for reasons of capacity.

What are the penalties for not complying with what specifically? Carrying a firearm on the street is a felony. Carrying a firearm with the super uber assault banana clip with the thing that goes up is a misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    I have never kept up with Chicago's gun laws since I'm from out of state, but I'm going to start working in Chicago pretty soon so I am looking for insight from people who live in Illinois or in Chicago. I have tried looking up the actual laws online but I found it a bit confusing on Illinois' website.

I do know that out of state residents can carry in their vehicle without an Illinois permit, correct? Doesn't Illinois allow certain cities/areas ordinances that ban certain guns and mag capacities? I will be working/traveling through the south side and Bridgeport areas of Chicago if it matters. As far as I know the only problems I might have are with the Glock mags because of capacity. Do I need to get neutered mags to be legit? Also, what are the penalties for not complying? Just curious.

edit: I forgot to add, I do have an out of state permit
    Last edited by AlphaKoncepts; 05-17-16 at 20:17.
    -Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; USCCA Certified Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
    www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com