Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC light reccommendations

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

EDC light reccommendations

So, I've been carrying a Surefire G2X tactical that I swapped the original tailcap with a clicky cap a long while ago. I like the light, and it does meet my needs/wants in a carry light, durable, bright, simple. Since things have been rather cold up until the past couple weeks, tossing it in my jacket pocket hasn't been an issue and I have been trying to carrying a EDC light on me like the rest of my gear, gun, knife, mag, ect. However, with the weather breaking I am getting to the point that I am just getting damn tired of carrying the light, not so much due to weight, but the size of the light just is becoming more and more annoying for shoving in a pocket, and the fact that it doesn't have a pocket clip means that half the time I end up fishing for the damn thing when I need it.

Now, I have a SF titan on my key chain if I need a low output map lap at 15 lumens, and for lesser administrative tasks the 125 output on it would work. What I am looking for here is something more GP and that could be pressed into service as a defensive light should the need arise.

So over the past few weeks I have been searching around for a slimmer light that would fit my needs for carry.

Have broken my wants to more or less this.
    1: single output. I don't need or want something where I have to click my way through half a dozen settings, or even just two, to get to the output I want. If it has the ability to choose my output like the older Fenix lights by twisting the bezel or something manual like that I would be interested though.

2: slim profile. would like the bezel to be no more than an inch or so, and the body to be a little bit less, a la the SF E2D if one needs a point of reference.

3: decent output, 200-300 lumen being about where I would like the light to be. Can be persuaded a bit higher or lower, as long as we aren't getting into stupid high or low lumen outputs.

4: Pocket clip. If we are talking a perfect world one that allows me to go bezel up or down and that I can get replacements for easily to have extra on hand because while I haven't bend a pocket clip on one of my Emersons in quite some time, it has happened and I like being able to fix things without waiting on something to be shipped.

5: clicky tail cap for momentary and constant on.

I will say this as well, I'd like CR123 as the power source, but am more than open to AA or AAA. Also the need for the light to be both durable and reliable are kind of givens here as well. some sort of knurling would be nice too. As far as price, if I can keep it under $150 that would be a bonus, beyond that I'd likely end up with the L4U mentioned below here.

So far the lights that I have found that have fit, at least most, though not really all, my wants have been the Vtac SF L4 lights, lack of easily ordering an extra pocket clip or two being the main draw back here otherwise I've likely have bought it already. Now the minis for that are only 110, which is a little light(No pun intended) for what I want, and it is hard for to have my Titan having a higher max output than it, and could be a bit short for me, the normal L4U with the Ultra head is a bit over kill and at $250+ ain't what I would call cheap. I have looked at picking up a E2D or an older one used and swapping the head to a 200 lumen scout head, but the issue that crops up there, is that for a big more i could just buy the L4U and swap heads with my old M600C and basically give myself another M600Ultra and have the output I want and a high output on one of my BCMs. Have also looked at some of the Fourseven offerings, and think that I may need to read more up on them, since I still ain't sure exactly how their set ups work.

So in short, for the wants/needs that I have here, what other options are out there that I need to look at. Am trying to be open minded here, and the only things I am hard set on is single output/manual non click through output selection and it being slim. Can fudge on the output, even going well above 300 lumens, and I could forgo the pocket clip even, if it were long enough to ride high enough in my pocket to be easily grabbed. I am just lost trying to find anything other than what I have already mentioned that fits my needs and doesn't have forty different settings or options that you can click through if you go button masher on the tail switch, which is why I am asking here before spending the $260 for the ****ing L4U.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Have you looked at the EB1?

I have a couple of the older models with the tactical tail cap (push light for 5, press harder for 200, and twist for constant). 5 lumen low, 200 lumen high, with their TIR lens. Meaning, it's a very efficient 5/200 lumens. Not a lot of spill, but it really throws well (throws better than my 320 lumen G2X's), and the 5 lumens all go to where you point them... You won't be using it to find a trail, but it's still useful. If you're used to the floodier beam on the G2X, the beam on the EB1 might feel a bit tight.

If you can live without the clicky function, it might be what you're looking for. The new models are 300 lumens, but they're clicky, and they cycle through modes. Which is fine for utility lighting, but no bueno for use with a handgun, which is why I personally carry it. I want to go "oh shit" on the tailcap and get high output every single time. But the tailcap is easy to twist with one hand for constant, so it's not as much a nuisance as I expected.

Other options are Malkoff and Elzetta, who I don't know as much about, other than they're generally regarded as GTG and make lights very similar to the EB1, and might have a clicky single-output option.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 03-13-16 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Is 120 lumens just too low for you, based on environment and needs?

If not, I have been running these for about a year now: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1920-L...1AFN8SN9FG4G9T

A Pelican 1920 is only 22 bucks off Amazon. They are cheap enough you can have a couple stashed in different place. They are slim enough that they do not take up too much valuable pocket real estate. You can still carry a phone or knife or wallet in that pocket.

They have a clip and run bezel down, use AAA's, have a single output with a momentary on and click once constant on.

I have about a grand worth of Surefires in a drawer, and have been using this for some time. I also like being able to give them as a gift to new folks. Just about every time a lady asks for a flashlight to see something, I give her mine. Then I grab a spare from my vehicle. They are cheap enough to give away.

I do wonder if you could get someone on Candlepower Forums to mod one of these up to about 200 lumens, that would be perfect. They have some serious electronic ninja's over there. That would also be a good place to ask for input.

And I hate that "cycle through 847 modes" crap. <grumpy old man mode off>

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For $22 bucks I don't see having much lose, 120 is on the low side, but again for $22 it wouldn't hurt me if it ended up in a pack as a backup next to another old and well used M1 Pelican light. Hell, was looking at a 4Seven light at $50 figuring that would be worth beating up just to see if I could get it to my needs.

Also the old EB1 could be an option as well, will look around.

Does Malkoff even offer complete lights? Thought they were just a head company. And get you heads out of the gutter, thank you.
    Forgot about Elzetta so will look them up as well.

I really am hoping we reach the point soon where we can buy a light, hook it to a computer and configure it to what we want, single output, multiple output, dial the lumens up and down, ect. Wold make life much easier and everyone would be happy. At least I would.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Malkoff does allow you to build a flashlight, with bodies and switches. Like all of his products, Gene's work is very popular and subject to availability. He makes great stuff that is always in demand.

I'd love to see what you propose. Just plug in a USB cable, click a few buttons on your smartphone, and your flashlight is now reconfigured.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    For $22 bucks I don't see having much lose, 120 is on the low side, but again for $22 it wouldn't hurt me if it ended up in a pack as a backup next to another old and well used M1 Pelican light. Hell, was looking at a 4Seven light at $50 figuring that would be worth beating up just to see if I could get it to my needs.

Also the old EB1 could be an option as well, will look around.

Does Malkoff even offer complete lights? Thought they were just a head company. And get you heads out of the gutter, thank you.
    Forgot about Elzetta so will look them up as well.

I really am hoping we reach the point soon where we can buy a light, hook it to a computer and configure it to what we want, single output, multiple output, dial the lumens up and down, ect. Wold make life much easier and everyone would be happy. At least I would.
    Malkoff does complete lights now, I think most are 250 lumen and they may have different mode and cap choices.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...et-flashlights

The biggest thing I couldn't get behind with Elzetta is the size with the pocket clip. It's just a little bit too bulky for me. Plus, I do like Surefire's TIR lens/beam better for something that I carry primarily as a handgun light.

And I'd like a user-customizeable light as well. I managed to swap Surefire Sidekicks' outputs from L/M/H to H/M/L, which felt so 21st century, but that's about the extent of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd love to see what you propose. Just plug in a USB cable, click a few buttons on your smartphone, and your flashlight is now reconfigured.
    I think it will come. 4seven has an app that is set up with one of their likes now though from what I see, they are still more in the utility opposed to my desire for a more GP/defensive light. To get to where WE want it, I think it may take longer. But, the idea of configuring a light with a phone or computer isn't far off. Just like we might configure a rifle for different applications I don't see why not configuring a light for it as well. Perhaps with the right light it would be able to configure white and IR as well as output. Someone has to think of ideas. Maybe I should get with a tech guy and design some of these things and patent them.

Going to go check out malkoff and see what I might be able to build with his parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Malkoff does complete lights now, I think most are 250 lumen and they may have different mode and cap choices.

The biggest thing I couldn't get behind with Elzetta is the size with the pocket clip. It's just a little bit too bulky for me. Plus, I do like Surefire's TIR lens/beam better for something that I carry primarily as a handgun light.

And I'd like a user-customizeable light as well. I managed to swap Surefire Sidekicks' outputs from L/M/H to H/M/L, which felt so 21st century, but that's about the extent of it.
    250 lumens would be about ideal for my wants. So i will be looking hard at time. Will likely grab the Pelican for the interm.

I am surprised you could even do that. It is something I suppose, but damn is it hard to want something simple in this age of lights.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post

This one looks like a winner:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...123-flashlight

Single mode, goes straight to high, and $106 price tag.

At that price, I may just order one of those.... thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This one looks like a winner:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...123-flashlight

Single mode, goes straight to high, and $106 price tag.

At that price, I may just order one of those.... thanks for the tip.
    I saw that one too. They also have a 2 cr123 body that should work with a Scout head. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast