Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's The Love For The M14?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Where's The Love For The M14?

There's one sticky in this forum. No one talks about them. I was thinking of getting one and was surprised to see how little they are mentioned on this forum. Military issued, magazine fed, .308, used in matches, not bad prices for a .308. What's there not to like?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    On the M14 forum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's definitely on my short list now... the new CQB looks pretty interesting and comes with a red dot so that's cool. I'd love a Smith but they're really up there in price now and harder to come across.

Feedback Score
    All it's really got going for it is 'MURICA! There are better things to launch 7.62 projectiles with.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    All it's really got going for it is 'MURICA! There are better things to launch 7.62 projectiles with.
    Starting with its contemporaries.

The M14 is probably the least of the legacy battle rifles. And the Springfield M1A is a pale, Taiwanese shadow of the M14.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I have a Springfield Socom 16 and love it. It's part of my compact black rifle collection.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For me it's a classic battle rifle that belongs in the safe next to the PTR & FAL. Mines a nice early 90's SAI recievers with al H&R parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    ...the new CQB looks pretty interesting and comes with a red dot so that's cool.
    That sounds ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    That sounds ridiculous.
    There's things that look cool that I'd never buy. It's just an interesting concept of selling everything in one package from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was given a SOCOM about a year and a half ago. Didn't know much about M1A's and thought better alternatives existed for the same money.

Mine has a handful of USGI parts and the crinkle stock. The factory sights are meant for close range. The rear aperture is large and the front post is wide enough to hold a tritium vile. Pretty useless at 200 yards plus.

I added a PRO to the factory barrel mounted rail and a Fulton Armory polymer cheek riser. It's a pure pleasure to shoot and it's not finicky about ammo. I've ran it in a couple local matches and have had zero problems.

I still think better alternatives exist (cost wise) if a person is looking for a longer range set up out of a M1A in full size form. But who knows, I was totally wrong about the SOCOM.

ETA:

If a person buys titanium AR buffer retainers to substitute for doing a few push ups, the M1A/M14 family is not for them.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 03-14-16 at 18:01.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast