Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD Lightweight 5.45 Target Rifle

Feedback Score

BAD Lightweight 5.45 Target Rifle

Here is my latest rifle build, intended for my wife (albeit she rarely gets out to the firing range with me rolleyes.gif). My intent was to build a target rifle, using the lightest components I could find and afford..... alas, that exercise essentially got shot-to-shit when I went with a heavy barrel. Here are all the component parts that I went with for this AR build:

Battle Arms Development
    -- BAD556 Lightweidht 7075-T6 Billet Receiver Set
    -- Enhanced Pin Set
    -- Enhanced Modular Mag Release
    -- Short Throw Ambi-Safety Selector w/ Crank levers
    -- Black Melonite rife length gas tube
    Norgon Ambi Mag Release
    Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch
    Geissele Super Tricon FCG
    AXTS Raprtor Ambi Charging Handle
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Pistol Grip
    Fortis Low Profile Gas Block
    Lancer Systems: LCR5 Round Carbon Fiber Extra Long Premium Handguard, and Carbon Fiber Fixed A2 rear Stock
    JP Enterprise Silent Captured Buffer Spring
    VooDoo Innovations DI Lifecoat Integral Gas Key Carrier with 5.45 Bolt Head Assembly
    R Guns 20" Fluted 1/8 twist Chrome Molly Match Grade Barrel
    B.E. Meyers 249F Flash Hider
    Aero Precision Ultralight Scope Mount
    Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 optic with BDC Reticle
    Harris BR Bipod

I think that covers everything.

I haven't had her out to the range yet (it's been raining almost non-stop here in the Pacific Northwest), but I'm naturally hoping that she will be a really nice shooting AR target rifle.

There were two mods that I had to make: The BCM Mod 3 pistol grip's duck bill needed to be removed due to the slanted angle of my lower's integral trigger guard, and I had to fabricate a sling point bracket to affix the Harris bipod to on the bottom of the carbon fiber handguard. Everything else with putting this rifle together was gravy.

~Gary

Last edited by Garys4598; 03-14-16 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting. I never thought of 5.45 as a target rifle because I honestly don't think I have ever seen match grade ammo for it. I always thought of 5.45 as a cheap alternative to 5.56 back when you could find surplus ammo. Let us know how she shoots. What ammo are you shooting out of curiosity?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting build. Echoing the 5.45 target thing. Are you loading your own 5.45 or something?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Isn't that Hornady stuff decently accurate? The 60gr Vmax rounds...

I always thought of the commie calibers as simply being something fun to shoot when 5.56 went nuts. I think I have a couple of cans left over and no longer even have a rifle that fires the ammo.

Feedback Score
    Did you have to backorder from battle arms? And if so how long did you have to wait?

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rifle.

I have a 5.45 AR that seems to be a tack driver. One day I will see how it will reach out.

I think this is the first time I seen some one use this, Geissele Super Tricon FCG, just wondering was there any particular reason for this one?
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Interesting. I never thought of 5.45 as a target rifle because I honestly don't think I have ever seen match grade ammo for it. I always thought of 5.45 as a cheap alternative to 5.56 back when you could find surplus ammo. Let us know how she shoots. What ammo are you shooting out of curiosity?
    Initially, just 7n6 surplus. I will be trying out Hornady to see what's what with the rifle's barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Interesting build. Echoing the 5.45 target thing. Are you loading your own 5.45 or something?
    Nope, I'm not a reloader yet.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Isn't that Hornady stuff decently accurate? The 60gr Vmax rounds...

I always thought of the commie calibers as simply being something fun to shoot when 5.56 went nuts. I think I have a couple of cans left over and no longer even have a rifle that fires the ammo.
    It is suppose to be.... but as most know every barrel is somewhat unique regarding its preferences. Yes, IMHO commie calibers are exceptionally "fun" to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by nick954 View Post
    Did you have to backorder from battle arms? And if so how long did you have to wait?
    Yes. The backorder for the BAD receiver set took a little less than two months, if my memory serves me correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Nice looking rifle.

I think this is the first time I seen some one use this, Geissele Super Tricon FCG, just wondering was there any particular reason for this one?
    I had no particular reason for going with the Super Tricon FCG other than I wanted to try it... and I like the shape of its trigger. My other two ARs have Geissele FCGs and I've been very, very pleased with their performance. Not sure how noteworthy this may be, but I had to spend about an hour or so fitting this Super Tricon into this BAD556 lower with the short throw fire/safety selector lever. The hammer simply wouldn't release from the cocked position, without removing some metal material from the rear top portion of the trigger where it engages with the safety cross bar. Had to remove the entire FCG four times, carefully removing/filing some of the metal each time, then reinstalling the FCG to see if the trigger would function correctly. It was a bit of a PITA but I went slowly, and ultimately I achieved the sweet spot. I don't recall having to do this with my other Geissele FCGs, but I hazard to guess this was a normal thing to have to do, given the slight differences and tolerances between manufacturers' lowers.
    Last edited by Garys4598; 03-14-16 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    I would like to see a target for it.

I need to replace a barrel.
    My 5.45 keyholes.

Feedback Score
    How much do Lancer hand guards weigh?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    How much do Lancer hand guards weigh?
    My particular extra long (16.25"), premium slotted carbon fiber handguard, weighs in at 10.2 ounces with its proprietary barrel nut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast