Thread: Rechargeable LiIon 16650 for SF 6v weaponlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rechargeable LiIon 16650 for SF 6v weaponlights

My employer goes through time periods where they are stingy with the 123a batts. Started looking for an answer to power all the 2xcr123 lights I run, 1xM600 ultra, 2x G2X Tactical, 1 x LX2 Lumamax without compromising run times. Boring for 18650 was going to be pretty pricey for all the lights, though that would yield significantly longer run times.

Thanks to answers from PrecisionWorks and others, I wound up ordering 3x 16650 Keeppower 2500mah protected cells and a smart charger. So far, output appears substantially similar to my eyechrometer. Math says they should have about 110% of the runtime that 2x123a primaries would provide, though I have not tested run time long term yet. Test is ongoing, but I will update with any issues I run in to.

This is all real preliminary at this point, no long term usage etc so take it for what it is worth. Also recognize that going to rechargeable batteries over drop in primaries comes with its own set of issues, not least amongst them being that surefire refuses to warranty damage done by rechargeable batteries, venting gasses, etc.

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to updates.

Sent from my buckeye using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No issues so far, been running them about a month now and have experienced zero issues. Long term obviously I don't know, but I have been running them exclusively in two of my g2x tacticals, one weapon mounted and one handheld with zero issues. They seem to hold a charge plenty long enough for regular use, output appears the same. I'm pretty much sold.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update! I just ventured into this part of the forum for the first time today hoping to learn whether or not it's okay to use rechargeable 16650 Keeppower 2500mah batteries in a Surefire M600U. I didn't realize that it could potentially damage the light in a way that wouldn't be covered under warranty. I also have an X300 Ultra that I was hoping to start using rechargeable batteries with. Any thoughts on any of this?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    Thanks for the update! I just ventured into this part of the forum for the first time today hoping to learn whether or not it's okay to use rechargeable 16650 Keeppower 2500mah batteries in a Surefire M600U. I didn't realize that it could potentially damage the light in a way that wouldn't be covered under warranty. I also have an X300 Ultra that I was hoping to start using rechargeable batteries with. Any thoughts on any of this?
    There are no single cell rechargeable cr123a size batteries that would work in an x300 battery compartment.

I would caution using rechargeable aftermarket batteries in any product not labeled as supporting them. Output voltage and performance of the cells may adversely effect the product you're using them in.

I expect that you'll start to see more manufacturers making their light bodies larger in diameter to support the 18650 option that we're seeing take off industry wide. I was just talking to a major tactical flashlight manufacturer and their opinion was that the lumen war is winding down, and the battery war is just getting started.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post

I expect that you'll start to see more manufacturers making their light bodies larger in diameter to support the 18650 option that we're seeing take off industry wide. I was just talking to a major tactical flashlight manufacturer and their opinion was that the lumen war is winding down, and the battery war is just getting started.
    Yeah I've been using the 18650's in my Maelstrom G5 for the last 4 years or so. Awesome performance from that light and battery combo but I've had 3 other 4Sevens lights fail me in that time and it's caused me not to trust my Maelstrom by association. If I could throw an 18650 in a Surefire M600U then I'd be all over it. Frankly I'm not entirely sure why an option like that isn't already on the market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As has been said, use rechargeables with caution. If it fries your light you'll be sans benefit of customer service from surefire. To date, still zero issues in my lights with the aforementioned batteries and lights. YMMV.

No idea on the X300 type cells, but in my looking I have not come across anything even remotely close to fitting. My very limited understanding is that most of these different battery sizes are driven by battery packs for electronics (like laptops), new development doesn't really come about until there is a major consumer seeking a specific size/output whatever.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    If Surefire would release their own, approved, rechargeables, they would sell a metric **** ton of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoTex1 View Post
    To date, still zero issues in my lights with the aforementioned batteries and lights. YMMV.
    I switched over a couple of months ago. My only regret is that I did not do it sooner. The technology in these batteries and chargers has come along way in the last couple of years. Just make sure you buy protected cells, and purchase from a reputable dealer. There are way too many counterfeit products out there that might be unsafe. You still have to really keep an eye on these things, but just like anything else in this business it's common sense.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.