Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Armament Alpha Suppressor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    User serviceable is nice so you can shoot rimfire out of the same can you throw on your 5.56 without f*in it up.
    That's what I was going to say- because dudes are going to shoot .22 out of it.

Also as unnecessary as it is, it allows you to inspect the condition of your stack.

Also I guess it would make it super easy for Griffin to replace a worn or damaged stack when some joker screws it on the end of his home threaded MAK-90.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It is a bad thing when it adds complexity, creates a higher cost, and is generally unnecessary. It's widely accepted that centerfire rifle cans never need to be serviced, and it should be widely understood that a fully welded can will be inherently stronger than something that is serviceable.
    1) It's not that expensive.

2) Play the vid. They screw it on a 240 and blaze.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    But I suppose folks like wasting their money and drooling over the latest and greatest stuff on Instagram. In a market where skull shaped lower receivers sell out I don't even begin to understand why anymore.
    .22lr $400+$200
    .45 $650+$200
    Rifle $850+$200

Or.. .one can for the user that is a casual shooter $1,200 w/Stamp.

If it is sufficiently strong and guaranteed AND does a decent job, it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

It's like you are saying everyone needs a specific car or truck for whatever they do on any given day. Some people just need their daily driver and a nice trailer. Not everyone is slinging lead down range at a $100 a minute.

I talked to a guy the other day that casts .300blk bullets. A sealed can may be the 'Best' but 'Good' and 'Better' may be all a lot of people need.

$1200 vs $2600 ... that's a lot of ammo.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    User serviceable is nice so you can shoot rimfire out of the same can you throw on your 5.56 without f*in it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    +1.... you're right.
    I understand the benefits of user serviceable for rimfire. That's why I......bought a user serviceable rimfire can. It's also shorter and weighs 10oz less than the Griffin.

I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat and be content that I earn enough money so as to make this product useless.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I understand the benefits of user serviceable for rimfire. That's why I......bought a user serviceable rimfire can. It's also shorter and weighs 10oz less than the Griffin.

I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat and be content that I earn enough money so as to make this product useless.
    I didn't realize this a competition to be won? Some people like the Hybrid/Multi can set ups. I for one have dedicated cans but there's a very obvious reason that someone would buy these. What you earn is irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    I didn't realize this a competition to be won? Some people like the Hybrid/Multi can set ups. I for one have dedicated cans but there's a very obvious reason that someone would buy these. What you earn is irrelevant.
    Not a competition, but the back and forth isn't really getting us anywhere. I guess I bring a different need to the thread, which is why I don't see the point. Some people buy shit because its cool. Some people like to have "one" thing, as was stated, that can fill multiple roles in order to save money.

I don't collect guns; each gun I own does "something". That job either requires a suppressor (Shooting at 3am with NV, for example) or it doesn't. If it doesn't require a can, it doesn't get a can. If it does, then it's going to get a can best suited for that gun and live on that host. I.E. My Glock 19 wears an Octane 9. My 22/45 wears a Pilot 2. If a gun is setup for suppressed use, it's never shot unsuppressed. So what purpose does having a 30 caliber can that can be used as a 22 can serve me?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Griffin Armament Alpha Suppressor

If you can't understand it, then it's not for you. Nobody's gonna convince you & you're not gonna convince the proponents.
    I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat...
    For real this time?
    Last edited by Ryno12; 05-14-16 at 08:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have dedicated suppressors coming for many firearms I own, including a few more from Griffin Armament. I currently have a Recce 5 and 7, and they work really well. The Alpha looks like a great can, the next step after the Recce 7. 14.5 ounces for a full auto rated 308 can? Yeah, I would like one.

scott

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Griffin Armament Alpha Suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Why not??
    All welded design is stronger.

The threads are not as likely to hold. Think about the intense pressure that occurs as the gun discharges. Rifle rounds have much higher pressures than rimfire and pistols. The tube expands, the end cap or mount doesn't. This can lead to parts unscrewing or just outright failing. I've seen the results of exactly this on a Gemtech G-5 on a too short rifle (not bashing the Gemtech, I own two). The mount is threaded into the tube and that's a weak spot. The can separated. The company took care of it for my friend, despite it likely being used outside the guidelines.

I can't see any benefit to having a weaker design that allows me to clean something that doesn't need to be cleaned.

With all that said, this is a nice looking suppressor and they sure shot the heck out of it. Maybe if I could only have one can....
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 05-14-16 at 17:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    All welded design is stronger.

The threads are not as likely to hold. Think about the intense pressure that occurs as the gun discharges. Rifle rounds have much higher pressures than rimfire and pistols. The tube expands, the end cap or mount doesn't. This can lead to parts unscrewing or just outright failing. I've seen the results of exactly this on a Gemtech G-5 on a too short rifle (not bashing the Gemtech, I own two). The mount is threaded into the tube and that's a weak spot. The can separated. The company took care of it for my friend, despite it likely being used outside the guidelines.

I can't see any benefit to having a weaker design that allows me to clean something that doesn't need to be cleaned.

With all that said, this is a nice looking suppressor and they sure shot the heck out of it. Maybe if I could only have one can....
    ...and yet the threads held.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I'm deciding between the Alpha and Recce 7 right now and was considering the Alpha mainly because I figured it would be easier to replace an end cap or baffle stack in the event of a round striking it as opposed to only being able to repair it through the manufacturer (yes I'm aware GA won't sell individual baffles, unfortunately). I wasn't planning on using it for .22 LR and the weight reduction, while nice, isn't a deal breaker for me. Also, if the can does gain a couple ounces even from centerfire ammo, it wouldn't be the worst thing to be able to clean it.

The only thing that has me still looking at the R7 is the fact it is welded and "should" be more robust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast