Thread: Breaking in some new steel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Breaking in some new steel

Some AR 500 targets showed up today and I spent the late afternoon/early evening breaking in the new 8" round and get a little impromptu wind call practice in.
    IMG_0992.jpg

Other than the shooting mat, I only took the small pack that I carry when hunting (contains ears/eyes, Wiebad Ultra Lite rear bag, range finder, light jacket, first aid crap). And water.

This was pretty refreshing, as I usually have a lot more gear and ancillary stuff, and don't do a whole lot of shooting like this outside of hunting.

Anyways, shot at 300ish (~307), wished like hell that I had painted the target, but I was in a hurry to get out while there was still daylight. The target is circled in red, which is also hard to see, sorry.

IMG_0996.jpg

77gr Nosler CC's, 23.4gr H322, and Wolf Primers do the trick every time

IMG_0998.jpg

The 1/2 inch stuff is a little harder to hear than the 3/8 (at least for me) but my iPhone was able to pick it up while on the video setting.

I think I am going to do more shooting like this, something about the simplicity of it all is a nice counterpoint to hauling around tripods/kestrel/spotter, rests/bags, kitchen sink, etc.

edited because target needed circled in red, my MS paint skills are lacking...
    Last edited by masan; 03-17-16 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That looks like an excellent way to spend the day. I am thoroughly jealous.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    well, if you ever end up in PA gimme a call, unless its snowing, in which case, why the hell arent you home in FL

Feedback Score
    Does anyone here get craters in their steel when shooting 5.56? I have small craters that scare me a bit when I decide to shoot closer w/ 9MM.

What do you folks consider to be an acceptable depth gouge?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    What you describe has a practical application OP. We do similar at the ranch.

While it's fun to have ALL the gear out and in use, shooting off backpack/field expedient rest will show you what your stick and you are capable of at extended range.

I'm ready for Spring and the opportunity to get out.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by travistheone View Post
    Does anyone here get craters in their steel when shooting 5.56? I have small craters that scare me a bit when I decide to shoot closer w/ 9MM.

What do you folks consider to be an acceptable depth gouge?
    Yea ya have to be careful with 556, even with 450/500 plate. We shoot only out to 600yrds but we use 1/2 inch out to 300 and after that we use 3/8 or 1/4 past 400 and such. If your shooting 556/223 @ 100 or even closer your gonna get dings and dents for sure. Velocity is steels enemy for sure ! If your plates are so you can swap them front to back that's the best remedy I feel, we do it quite often ourselves. I thinks its just something ya have to live with when your dealing with 556. I think the best option is have two sets of plates, one for pistol stuff & close work and one for rifle, costs ya more but like they say buy once cry once,,LOL Not sure of acceptable depth of dings, pock marks, but if they start to get bad even after rotating them several times just relegate them to long distance.

Feedback Score
    Thanks m1a.

I think this is what I will do.

going to ring some today.

Feedback Score
    Wow! I spent the day working. Not nearly as much fun!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Those 77's will do the trick. On your steel. If they hang and can wobble, it's unlikely you will get bullets back at you. Heavy steel up close that is not slanted, is where you are screwed. I don't worry about the dings, mine are trashed. Up close I shoot slants from MGM , but again if it hangs from a chain, your probably good.

If your concerned, cant your targets so they are not straight away , that will help with ricochet.

Those damn 77's and an ACOG and you can pop steel out to 600. It's hard as hell to hear. Glad your iPhone could pick it up, the wind was working for you that day.

Good shooting

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-19-17 at 20:12.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This was the last shooting of this kind that I have gotten to do since April. I have been entirely focused on Benchrest Competition. Totally different... well everything really. Seeing this thread pop up again makes me wanna sneak away for an afternoon and smack some steel around.