Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Aero Precision 308 OEM Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok I finally got it up and running.

Last week I didn't remember USPS was closed on Monday so I didn't get the rest of the parts that I ordered until Tuesday. I assembled everything Tuesday night so I could take it to the range Wednesday afternoon.
    It rained all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday morning. There was standing water at the range and a storm started blowing in after I shot three groups at 100 yards so I had to wrap it up fairly quick. I only shot 25-30 rounds total. I had less that optimal testing conditions with the wind, and I forgot my rest and sand bag to rest the butt stock on. The trigger seemed a little mushier than what I remember.

I was using cheap Aguila ammo to zero my Night Force 3-15x50 scope at 50 Yards. I was getting good groups and tried two rounds of FGMM 175 SMK and those rounds were on the bulls eye touching so I moved to the 100 yrd range. Let me explain, I took my Night Force off my AR-15 and I had the Zero Stop set for it, so I could not dial the elevation down and I did not want to have to adjust the Zero Stop. I was just using it for the 15 power so I could see how this gun would group. It was shooting 10 MOA high and had to use the top point of the reticle as my zero. Not the best but I made it work.

Enough talk here's some pics.

Im putting my 2.5-10x32 FFP scope back on and with a Geissele trigger and rear support this should shoot 1 MOA. It was hard holding the gun still and ended up sitting the butt stock on a box of ammo and bracing it with my hand.

I am not sure what all Aero Precision did to the gun. They never sent anything or any sort of paperwork back explaining what was wrong or what was replaced. I do know the barrel was replaced the last time because this barrel did not have the indents for the gas block that I drilled. After the BCG was replaced it was no longer sticking and the lugs were smooth sliding in and out of the barrel extension. I added the SLR adjustable gas block and tried the GemTech suppressor bolt. Each one worked great by themselves but together would not (no surprise). You had to run the gemtech on the regular mode or if you switched it to suppressed them you had to open the gas block. So I am sticking with the SRL adjustable gas block and I am going to use the Gemtech BCG on another AR-10. Its good to know either one would work on this gun. Brass ejects to 3 o'clock while shooting suppressed.

I Purchased the AP 308 OEM and added:
    Fortis Switch Rail 15"
    Fortis QD end plate
    BAD ASS safety
    Magpul MAID
    Picatinny rails for keymod
    Atlas Bipod
    DPMS bolt catch
    BCM charging handle
    Magpul (ACS?) stock
    DBAL laser
    IWC hand stop
    SilencerCo flashhider for Specwar suppressor.

In summary,
    I had a hell of a time with AP customer service the first few weeks. At first I wasnt able to get a hold of anyone at AP and they wouldnt return my emails. When I was able to talk to someone, I was getting the run around and no help. That created a frustrating experience. But I will say, I am happy with the gun now. If AP would have better QC and CS then my experience could have and would have been better. I've seen a few issues with Aero Precision QC lately about people posting on the internet with their problems. I would say as of now if you buy an AP rifle it could be hit or miss, depending on who built it or what day the rifle was built. Yes it could have been packaged a little better to avoid the marks and damage but I am not going to sweat the small stuff. Luckily I didn't have to strip it back down and return it to Brownells. I am just glad it is working now and groups accurately.

*IF* I do ever buy anything AP again, It would probably the the upper and lower receiver set. Those seemed to be quality and would probably make a good build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Did you ever get a legit MOA or better group out of it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
    Did you ever get a legit MOA or better group out of it?

I would not list this as a 1 MOA quality gun. No matter how much time and money I put into it, the gun never preformed to my expectations. Plus I’ll have to admit AP left a bad taste in my mouth. I would put it in 1.5-2 MOA with quality Ammo. With hand loads I would get lucky and it would shoot a little tighter, maybe 1.25 MOA.

I have the 2.5-10x scope on there and use it for night time hog hunting with a clip on in front of the scope. It does ok out to 300 yards. I’m sure a different barrel would help out. I hear a lot of praise out of BA barrels, but I’m not impressed.

Another thing I’m not too impressed with is the fortis switch rail. With it being 15” length, the laser has a shift of aim depending on how you hold it. It just doesn’t compare to my DD rails.

You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't the BA barrels come with a MOA guarantee? I would have them switch it out. Assuming you want to deal with it of course.

Feedback Score
    That's disappointing that it never shot straight for you. I'm starting a 6.5 (or 6mm if it ever takes off) build on Aero parts, and while I've had nothing but good luck with their receivers, I'm wishy washy (and so is most of the internet) on their barrels. For every one that shoots sub MOA, there's one that just can't do it. To be honest, for what a 6.5 or 6 are used for, MOA is barely good enough. I've got an SPR wanna-be with a Rainier barrel that's pretty consistent at .75MOA, and if a $250 barrel with a Wylde chamber can do that, then one of these big, heavy $300+ barrels should be able to as well.

Vegas, I think you're right, and it even says that right on their website. I'm not sure if it says anything on Aero's website though, maybe it only applies to BA barrels purchased direct, who knows.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I am wrapping a build using all Aero Precision components minus a Rainier Arms Match Barrel and SLR Gas Block. It's 98% complete, just waiting on trigger to show up and borrow a buddies Reaction Rod. I'll post updates as soon as it's built/tested. My work rifle is an 18" OBR 762 w/ NF ATACR. I built it to see if I could spend a 1/3 of the LaRue and hopefully get at least 1/2 as accurate lol. Fingers crossed...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Don't the BA barrels come with a MOA guarantee? I would have them switch it out. Assuming you want to deal with it of course.
    They replaced the original barrel. Not sure if the warranty extends to an AP made gun or just barrels purchased from BA.

I wish photo bucket still had my photos displayed for future reference.

I have two larue barrel and a rainier arms barrel. They shoot great. Out of all my AR’s, I would say my rainier barrel shoots the best.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here another update to this thread.
    The gun has been 100% reliable but I missed a shot with it hunting so I took it to the range to see if the zero was off.
    I was getting a 4-6 moa spread depending on the ammo. I’m going to give the barrel a good cleaning to see if that helps but as the barrel heats up then the groups really open up and I get a few flyers. Cold bore shot is about 4 moa difference. This gun is heavy but smooth shooting with that adjustable gas block.

For some odd reason my groups opened up with the suppressor attached. On all my other guns the suppressor reduces the grouping just a little. POA/POI was repeatable with the suppressor attached and removed several times.

To rule out the scope I put it on my SCAR 17 and with federal premium gold 175gr SMK I’m shooting 3 shot clover groups.

I’ll update again after I clean the barrel and remove copper fouling.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Here another update to this thread.
    The gun has been 100% reliable but I missed a shot with it hunting so I took it to the range to see if the zero was off.
    I was getting a 4-6 moa spread depending on the ammo. I’m going to give the barrel a good cleaning to see if that helps but as the barrel heats up then the groups really open up and I get a few flyers. Cold bore shot is about 4 moa difference. This gun is heavy but smooth shooting with that adjustable gas block.

For some odd reason my groups opened up with the suppressor attached. On all my other guns the suppressor reduces the grouping just a little. POA/POI was repeatable with the suppressor attached and removed several times.

To rule out the scope I put it on my SCAR 17 and with federal premium gold 175gr SMK I’m shooting 3 shot clover groups.

I’ll update again after I clean the barrel and remove copper fouling.
    For the love of God, thank you. I was considering building one of the WIP guns that I don't have in me. I appreciate your efforts and education. My take away, buy LMT, DD, Larue or KAC if you can pony up.

Again, thank you and good luck getting this gun dialed in. You deserve it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    What's the barrel profile? 1.5 lbs of suppressor out at the end of the barrel might be upsetting your harmonics.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast