Thread: My first M4 build and a question...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My first M4 build and a question...

Actually more like "upgrade" I started with a brand new (still sealed in the box) stock BM Patrol Carbine with the removable carry handle that I picked up at a local gun show for dirt cheap. I tell you, this thing has managed to eat my money faster than my last GF!

Here's the specs so far:
    - SureFire M500A
    - Command Arms cheekpiece
    - Hogue grip
    - Midwest Industries BUIS
    - heavy "H" recoil buffer
    - VLTOR single point sling attachment
    - Blue Force Gear single point sling (not pictured)
    - had the gas tube on the BCG properly staked by my local gunsmith
    - BCM extractor spring upgrade kit

Next up to buy:
    - some sort of flash hider or compensator. Possibly SureFire MB556K or Noveske KX3?
    - larger charging handle latch
    - Eotech or Aimpoint

Any other suggestions? My funding is slim right now, so I'm pretty much buying individual pieces as I go along. This rifle won't be used on the battlefield... not unless Russia decides to leave Georgia alone and attack the US.

Here's my question: I'd like a vertical handgrip, but there are two heat shields inside the SF bottom handguard. I know there are rails that mount in the holes, but my holes don't go all the way thru. How can I accomplish this? Drill?

Let me know what ya'll think, and include any suggestions! Thanks for looking.

Okay, okay...here's the pics. They're crappy, I know. I'll try to post better ones when I find my good camera:

A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forgot to mention: Also have 20 USGI 30-round magazines all upgraded with new springs and the MagPul self-leveling followers.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    It looks like a good KISS/Katrina carbine to me. Do you like the current hand guards? I think the most stable mount wound be the DD Lite rail system. I own two of them and are IIRC, the same weight as the current handguards you have installed. Then you can mount the VFG of your choice. It also gives you the latitude to move your VFG back and forth to suit your comfort level, and move things around if needed. If short of cash, your carbine is just fine as it is. I'd get a red dot optic when you can though. My 2 ARs are "money pits". I just started down the path to the darkside (bought an AK this last weekend) so another weapon to dress out and through money at, but we all know, we all are never satisfied with our current configuration of our weapons anyway and dilutes the definition of "Gun Nut" if we did.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling