Thread: Adjustable Glasses for Iron Sight Shooting..

Feedback Score

Adjustable Glasses for Iron Sight Shooting..

Hello,

I was researching what some people do to help make their front sight more "crisp" when shooting their AR's with iron sights only.

I found this article to be helpful: http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/1...or-aging-eyes/

(I hope it's ok to post that link..)

I then started digging around to see if there was such a thing as adjustable focal length glasses for sale. I didn't find anything that said "adjustable focal length" but I did find these:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-20-Adj...+focus+glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Eye...+focus+glasses

Has anyone tried these? I wear contacts, but they since both eyes are slightly different yet close enough in prescription, I was prescribed the same power contacts for both eyes. When I put on my glasses, things are noticeably clearer.

I was thinking if I bought adjustable glasses, perhaps I could achieve enhanced "fixed focal length" with thee glasses.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not sure about how much they'll help with shoring but at that price they'd be great for prepping

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Adjustable Glasses for Iron Sight Shooting..

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Not sure about how much they'll help with shoring but at that price they'd be great for prepping

I bought the $10 adjustable a from Amazon Prime and although it's a nice idea the quality, as you'd imagine, is on par with the price. Kids toy plastic lenses that do what they're supposed to do I guess. There are little black knobs on the temples and you can dial in your magnification.

With my contacts out, I pulled them out at the range and although I could bring my front post into better clarity the overall view was cloudy due to the cheap lenses.

I also noticed that the area the front post becomes optimally clear has to be so finely tuned that any change in distance from your eye to the sights needs re adjustment.

I ended up just putting my prescription eyeglasses on which has a stronger prescription for my shooting eye than my contacts.

I do have a B Jones sight pack and lens on the way this week. This goes against my "let's see if I can shoot a stock non-match, non-tricked-out A2 more accurately than most" project but if you don't have a clear sight picture, it doesn't matter.

Isn't it funny how we sometimes think that we can just pick something new up and shoot it well simply because..? Lol. I love the challenge though. With mostly scoped rifles and bipods, this is all new territory for me. Eventually I only want to shoot this gun well unsupported or with a sling from various positions. No bags, rests etc.

The new leaf will screw into my existing 1/2 minute wind age screw. I don't shoot well enough yet to make 1/4 minute clicks mean anything yet.

Hopefully the lens power will be correct. I may also stick the .072" front sight post back in since the .052" post didn't make much of a difference, in fact, my groups may have been worse with the smaller post.

This process of trial and error is an exercise in patience.
    Last edited by NinjaLoader; 04-06-16 at 06:44.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Maybe give the Microsight a try

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Maybe give the Microsight a try

If the b jones sight doesn't pan out, I perhaps will but all of these little things you purchase when you get a new toy adds up. I'm not going to Camp Perry anytime soon, this project is just for my own satisfaction so we'll see. Hopefully see better lol.

Feedback Score
    My B Jones sight came in today. Installed it in about 20 minutes taking my time. The threaded hole was cut off center. I emailed Bob Jones and he replied quickly stating if it bothered me He would send me a replacement. He said he usually catches one in a hundred or something and this slipped through his inspection. It'll shoot fine after I zero it but visually it does seem distracting as I definitely notice it when I'm dry firing. I could get by with it but since Inpaud for it and it's not supposed to be like that, I asked for a replacement. I offered to pay for the shipping so we'll so he how he wants to do this. It happens, I'm not upset.

There is also a gap between the aperture and leaf that he said was part of the thread design. I may stick a rubber o ring in the space but the sight itself isn't going anywhere.

Anyway, I ordered the clear .50+ lens and looking at objects behind my house it definitely makes my front blade nice and crisp without distorting the far objects until you get to around 500 yards but you would still be able to shoot just fine at that yardage or longer.

How will it actually pan out at the range? Hopefully I'll find out this weekend.

I did stick the .072" front post back on the rifle.

Feedback Score
    I just received an email confirmation that he printed the shipping label to send me the new leaf. This was done on a Friday night a few hours after I emailed him. I'd say that's impressive service.

Feedback Score
    Was able to get out, take 6 shots to rezero my new B Jones Rear Sight aperture and lens, front sight (back to .072 from .052). Took 40 shots on the 300 yards range and came home to watch the final holes of the Masters.

There is NO question the B Jones sight offers me a more clear sight picture and no question that a six o'clock hold at 200, 300 is better for me. 100 I actually did worse today. I don't know if the 77 gr SMK's aren't stabilizing or what. It was overcast, light snow, so it was a dim, clear sight picture with the .42" aperture.

I'll post the other targets later. Ugh, was rooting for Spieth..