Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for 9MM AR vs Sig MPX observations

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    I want a 9mm rifle, with controls similar to an AR15, to shoot steel. I keep on going back and forth between a MPX and a Colt pattern 9mm AR. I'm a little concerned about function issues with a roll your own 9mm AR. The main down side to the MPX, for me, is that it's made by Sig. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from a SIG556.
    I was kind of looking for the same thing (except a pistol)
    AR won out. A big factor was mag availability/prices. I just bought 6 Metalform mags for 130 shipped. 6 MPX mags would cost like 300+

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I keep looking at the MPX, I really want a Quarter Circle but I own M&P.

Now I see that Wilson has one made specifically for the M&P that is factory SBR'D (which I believe us the only was to get one in WA.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post
    I want a 9mm rifle, with controls similar to an AR15, to shoot steel. I keep on going back and forth between a MPX and a Colt pattern 9mm AR. I'm a little concerned about function issues with a roll your own 9mm AR. The main down side to the MPX, for me, is that it's made by Sig. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from a SIG556.
    I went with a Colt pattern. If you do research you will end up with a solid upper. I went with a Hahn Bottom 9mm Adapter so I could swap it between an SBR lower and a pistol lower. For a barrel I went with a Ballistic Advantage Modern Series 5.5" 9MM Barrel because it was cheap and the right length for my needs. Went with a CMMG 9mm BCG as you can use it with a normal AR trigger & hammer. Put it together with a cheap Rainier slick side upper and an ebay rail - It runs like a top. I added a HK tri lug for QD with my Tirant9 and it is a wickedly quiet pistol or SBR depending on what lower its on. For a buffer I am running the Spikes Tactical ST-9X 9mm Stainless Steel Buffer and a Wolff extra power spring.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My reasoning for the MPX were the factory ambi controls, and how similar it is to an AR. Going the AR route left a bad taste in my mouth, and so far, the MPX has been everything I hoped it would be. This will be a bedside/ trunk gun. The mags being expensive SUCK. Hopefully magpul has a remedy soon.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jared91 View Post
    I have built a 9mm AR with a QC10 lower and 4" barrel. I can't get it to run right. Its blow back operated. I own a Gen 2 mpx. I absolutely love it. It is piston driven, and has eaten all the ammo I have thrown at it, from monarch 115gr steel case, to AE147gr subs. All suppressed. I am very very pleased with the MPX.

What barrel length? My 5" would not run with my heavy buffer? I switched to a Voltor A5 buffer and rifle spring. It runs great now.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 03-28-16 at 05:36.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    What barrel length? My 5" would not run with my heavy buffer? I switch to a Voltor A5 and rifle spring. It runs great now.
    Haha... its in there.. 4". Doesn't your rifle have heavy recoil now, though?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I own and love the Sig MPX (Gen 2). The thing is so reliable it is boring. The downside is the cost. For what the Sig costs, a person could build a 9mm AR and have plenty left over. The fact is I didn't want an AR. I previously owned a HK94 and wanted something along those lines again. The Sig was priced at 1/3rd what a nice 94 would run and it was an easy choice. So would I recommend it to those on the fence between it and an AR in 9mm, no. But I would recommend it for anyone wanting something different and looking at subguns (CZ Scorpion,HK94,etc).

On a side note I was looking at a PS90 and chose the Sig over it for the same price. Mainly because of the PS90's barrel shroud(to SBR it) and the cost of 5.7 ammo compared to 9mm.
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 03-27-16 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jared91 View Post
    Haha... its in there.. 4". Doesn't your rifle have heavy recoil now, though?

I didn't notice a difference in recoil. The 16" bbl runs well with a STX9X buffer and a Wolf heavy carbine spring. The 5" would not run with the same set up.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting. I'll pull it out and try that, then.

Feedback Score
    I have a QC10 colt mag running the JP-SCS that I love. Runs great no issues. Plans are to SBR with 4 inch bbl and suppress it. Tempted by the MPX but only if the piston system makes it less gassy and quieter at the port. Doesn't sound like this is the case, any MPX owners feel otherwise?

ETA- Also, my AR9 is extremely accurate, how is the MPX in that regard.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 03-29-16 at 08:35. Reason: Add question
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast