Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever broken a Kabar?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ever broken a Kabar?

....if so - how? Did it snap at the blade/hilt junction (as most internet pics show), or at the blade tip? Prying/levering? Twisting? Batoning? Taking out a sentry with a kidney thrust??????? :)

TIA

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Blade/tip.

I lost count of how many times I walked a new Pvt/Pfc 0331 down to supply, and some wretched asshat slid a busted Ka-Bar across the counter. They would do it without pulling the blade from the sheath, and every damn time I pulled out the knife to make sure it was serviceable, it had a busted tip.

So yeah, none of my serious use knives are Ka-bars. Do I own one for nostalgia's sake? Yep. But when I was a lowly enlisted swine, I carried something else in the field, and the Ka-bar stayed in my wall locker for inspections. I usually carried a 5" Randall on my deuce gear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Blade/tip.

I lost count of how many times I walked a new Pvt/Pfc 0331 down to supply, and some wretched asshat slid a busted Ka-Bar across the counter. They would do it without pulling the blade from the sheath, and every damn time I pulled out the knife to make sure it was serviceable, it had a busted tip.

So yeah, none of my serious use knives are Ka-bars. Do I own one for nostalgia's sake? Yep. But when I was a lowly enlisted swine, I carried something else in the field, and the Ka-bar stayed in my wall locker for inspections. I usually carried a 5" Randall on my deuce gear.
    Curious when that would have been that they were issued? Serious question. I was 0351 in the 80's and had to buy my own.

Feedback Score
    Yes... but I was using it to baton firewood. Still think they are a good knife for the money, I'm just willing to spend more for better now.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lent one out when I, too..was an 0351 in early-mid eighties...came back broken about 2" down from hilt. Never did understand how..was miffed.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Kabars (well off brand like Ontario) were issued to pistol bearers until the new bayonet came out in the mid 2000s. Most units kept them in the armory along with their bayonets but since they were K TAMCNS and not Crane reportable they could be kept anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not a Marine...

However my Uncle was (Korea vintage). He of course kept the "Marine love" for his Ka-bar. I had a lot of time with one over the years and after I got older/wiser to knife craft, the Ka-bar just became a souvenir.

This change in thought toward the knife when said uncle was having difficulty dressing a deer with one (to show me how it's done of course) and broke the blade tip at some point. Normally he would use his buck folder to skin a deer, but I think he was trying to show off his "Marine-ness" to me at the time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
    Curious when that would have been that they were issued? Serious question. I was 0351 in the 80's and had to buy my own.
    We had them in the armories, but they were never issued.

Feedback Score

k Bars

Bent the hilt on a couple and broke the tip on one wised up when I made Cpl. and had Randells and Striders and left the Kbars in the armory after that.
    I am the military products manager for Lasermax

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Broke about 1/2" off the tip throwing it at a plywood hooch door, it stuck in many times before it broke, it was a Kabar but at the time you could buy them for around $20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast