Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever broken a Kabar?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As a kid I was given a well used vintage Navy marked fighting knife, don't recall if it was Kabar mfg'd or not. But you'd have called it a kabar. I want to say it was marked in the 40s.

There was a break/chip from the fuller to the spine an inch or two long.

Cannot imagine how it got there, the blade was very thick.

Of course it was unappreciated, thrown, steel wooled, and ultimately forgotten/lost. Instead, I wanted the AF survival knife in the then brand new whole earth catalog. And an AR-7, also in the catalog. And the girl on page 137! I did not want much as a preteen! Lost the knife, but still have that catalog!

That and the fact it was marked Navy... uncool

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
    Curious when that would have been that they were issued? Serious question. I was 0351 in the 80's and had to buy my own.
    I was in as an 0331 from 04-08, they only really issued them to 0331s in my co. But they were totally unserviceable, and not as common as the new bayonets.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've got my FIL's from his time in Vietnam and mine from the mid 90's, have worked up many deer with both. I will admit that I too carry an Esee or my gerber lmf ii these days as I don't care if something happens to them. I will also say the ka bar from the early 60's and '90's look a bit different.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Come to think about it I also have one from an unknown time that's marked USN and that knife only has half the blade left, and it has been re-shaped/sharpened. I will snap a picture of it tonight after work and add it to this post as well!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
    Curious when that would have been that they were issued? Serious question. I was 0351 in the 80's and had to buy my own.
    They were issued to those carrying an M203 or pistol in my Company. If you could not mount a bayonet on your weapon you got a K-Bar. I carried an EK Commando Knife because of the full tang and a Leatherman. Those and the Zippo were constant companions in the field.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 10-05-16 at 08:14.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    ....if so - how? Did it snap at the blade/hilt junction (as most internet pics show), or at the blade tip? Prying/levering? Twisting? Batoning? Taking out a sentry with a kidney thrust???????

TIA

john
    Technically not a Kabar, but it was a Kabar Knife. The Kabar Bull Dozier, I snapped the last inch or so off prying some rotten log apart. I was disappointed....

Traded my actual Kabar to some Royal Marine for his Beret and a few other things. No clue where that Beret is today....

Feedback Score
    It's probably safe to say that I've broken one...or so I've been told. Something about Okinawa, mojo, and a dead buy me drinky girl...but I can't remember? I was in 2000-2008. We had kabars until we were issued the Ontario bayonet. Today most of my own my kabars are for display purposes. I do have one that's been hanging around in my truck for the past 10 or so years, and I'll use it for a few odd jobs here and there. It's held up fine over the years, but it's not like I'm beating the dog s*** out of it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen them break at the junction of the blade where the false edge and the main blade come together. Yes, usually after doing stupid shit and yes, we put it into the sheath and acted like we dindu nuffin at turn-in. ...Pfc's gonna shitbird... Also, almost all of the ones I saw as an 2MEF Marine, were actually Camillus's like the one on the left in FordTough's pic. Those fancy Ka-bars witht the nice leather that haven't been edge dressed weren't seen unless some hardcore slipped his boot camp buy past his SL.
    I am not a huge fan of it's knifely qualities and I hear that the new bayonet is a much better knife and light-years past the M7.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For their price they are decent blade. But the blade world has taken off since the KaBar came into its fame. Its a totally different landscape and for a bit more bucks more your into a RAT or TOPS lower priced models that are much nicer. It is impressive what you can buy for $100 bucks these days, a hundo isn't nuthing, but still. I own 2 KaBars for the record.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Threw one at a big rat one time while manning a fighting hole on Hill 55, missed rat, hit rock,
    broke at hilt.
    Seriously we had some big ******* rats there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12