Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP still relevant?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    I'm curious as to what turned you off to LMT - is it all their rifles or just the MRPs? I have been using them for the past 12-13 years and find them boringly reliable with very hard use
    Nothing against their quality, but their pricing is way too high for what you get, and the MRP has nothing of value to offer me.

I also think their factory BUIS sights are awful (clunky, heavy, over priced, snag prone, and with exposed dials)

Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    Your comparison of Aero Precision to LMT is interesting.
    Why?

About the only thing that people can get excited about is a 1 piece upper/rail, and "quick change barrels".

Well an LMT upper (probably no BCG) is over $1200:
    http://www.lmtstore.com/uppers/c-5-6c7-xxxxxxxx.html

An Aero enhanced upper uses a reverse barrel nut, so there is no timing necessary, you just torque and slip the handguard back on, then tighten the 8 handguard retention screws. So, it's different tools to do the change, but I could probably remove and rebarrel an AP enhanced upper in the time it takes someone to smoke a cigarette (keeping in mind that no-one I ever knew that had one ever changed calibers on their LMT MRP... but I'll play along).

So in contrast, an AP complete enhanced upper setup would be $415-$450:
    http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-556...ete-upper.html

Now with that setup you can use barrels from Ballistic Advantage, Noveske, Krieger, etc. You can go between quad rails, MLOK or KeyMod... change between a 7" rail with an SBR length barrel, or do a 15" rail with an SPR setup, etc... for literally a third the price... what did you give up... a continuous upper? Who REALLY needs to mount optics forward of where a traditional upper receiver would end?

A new MRP in gas, 5.56mm, 16" barrel is $2300.
    http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-wea...on-system.html

I'd much rather put $250 into an AP enhanced upper and rail, $130 into an AP BCG, $220 into a Ballistic Advantage barrel with pinned GB and gas tube, $90 into an AP stripped lower, $93 into an ALG LPK with QMS trigger, $150 for a B5 SOPMOD stock furniture kit and buffer tube assembly, $16 charging handle, and $150 for MBUS Pro sights, and I've got a gun guaranteed to shoot MOA with match ammo with an ALG trigger for ~$1,100.

I can literally buy two of those for the price of one LMT MRP, and have two guns instead the ability to change barrels on one.

I can also use any normal barrel on the market I want, and change rail lengths any time I like... and the gun will weigh less while doing it.

Now maybe they're selling for better than sticker on the MRP, but I'd bet I can put an Aimpoint and a light on the AP and still come in under the street price of the MRP.

So long story long... that's why I don't think LMT is competitive in the current market, or why I don't think the MRP is "relevant" today.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If your concern is price, that's fine, but the quality of LMT products is incomparably above that of AP. I say that as an owner of both, and being closely tied with production guys at AP here in Washington.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If your concern is price, that's fine, but the quality of LMT products is incomparably above that of AP. I say that as an owner of both, and being closely tied with production guys at AP here in Washington.
    So, if you're going to put it like that... what then, exactly, are you getting for your extra $1200 over the build I suggested.

I consider a rifle that runs to be "quality", and the build I gave you contained a barrel with an accuracy guarantee... which is something you aren't getting at literally double the price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    So, if you're going to put it like that... what then, exactly, are you getting for your extra $1200 over the build I suggested.

I consider a rifle that runs to be "quality", and the build I gave you contained a barrel with an accuracy guarantee... which is something you aren't getting at literally double the price.
    There is a copious amount of information here regarding the differences between low, mid and high grade ARs, and which manufacturers belong in each category so I won't discuss that, but I think it's important to point out that accuracy is not the only determining factor in quality.

If you're interested, the thread here regarding Anderson lowers is a good source for some information on the shortcomings of lower quality components - particularly receivers.
    Last edited by Leuthas; 04-04-16 at 18:17.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is a copious amount of information here regarding the differences between low, mid and high grade ARs, and which manufacturers belong in each category so I won't discuss that, but I think it's important to point out that accuracy is not the only determining factor in quality.
    Correct, and yet you can't seem to point to much that justifies the difference in price, it would seem.

That's why I listed known good quality components. Putting together a good working AR isn't wizardry... all the info to do it is out there on sites like this one.

Do it another way... take a Colt 6920 OEM2 at $750, add some furniture and sights, drop the barrel into an AP enhanced upper received and rail, and you're still around $1200. Is the Colt 6920 "not in the same league" now?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I thought there was a point, but demonstrating you can build an AR cheaper than an MRP isn't a point at all. A monolithic upper from LMT isn't a product aimed at those looking to save their pennies. I'll retire to another conversation.

Perhaps a more relevant comparison on your behalf would include the question, "Why should I buy the MRP for $2100, when I could buy a standard LMT for $1700?"
    Last edited by Leuthas; 04-04-16 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    I got my LMT MRP, which I love , delivered and transfered in "like new" condition for $1020.00. Is it now relevent? I believe so and woukd do it again in a heartbeat.

Jim D, I see your point and I too would not pay $2300 for a new MRP when I could put together a rifle like you referenced. I can't justify that expense on a rifle. . . . which is why I bought a used one at a steal.
    Last edited by Going4Broke; 04-04-16 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can get an MRP CQB with DI carrier for $1700 out the door locally and the light weight rail version for about $100 less. It's still in the 7 lb. range so its not too heavy.

Why the semi auto carrier? The rear sight is solid but with the attachment screw on the charging side of the gun, for right handers, sticking out the way it does I can see someone wrecking
    a hand or finger. Optics? The sights are definitely in the way, need flip downs. Monolithic rail is nice especially compared to some of the new flimsy light rails.

It's well built gun and not too far out of price range compared to other top brands not withstanding Colt's pricing these days. I bought one so it's relevant in my book.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I thought there was a point, but demonstrating you can build an AR cheaper than an MRP isn't a point at all. A monolithic upper from LMT isn't a product aimed at those looking to save their pennies. I'll retire to another conversation.

Perhaps a more relevant comparison on your behalf would include the question, "Why should I buy the MRP for $2100, when I could buy a standard LMT for $1700?"
    Fair enough, but I would be inclined to ask the question "what does a basic LMT offer at $1700 that an $800-900 6920 doesn't?"

It might not be a gun on the cheap side, but we're talking about a production carbine... not a semi-custom, built to order 1911 or something. I think something costing $1k+ more than other options with nearly identical performance characteristics warrants some justification.

If someone just has a lust for it, then have at it. But I just don't see what someone is getting for the additional cost.

Feedback Score
    I paid 1699.00 for a MRP at Buds approx 12 weeks ago. It was in their store in Lexington. The showroom sample had a scratch on it. I asked if they had another one and they brought out one that had never been out of the box. It lives in my safe now��
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slow10ker; 04-05-16 at 17:36. Reason: Add a photo

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast