Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP still relevant?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think it's a very cool, but by today's standards heavy platform. I have always wanted one, but price, availability and weight have always kept me from actually buying one over other goodies.

If an Mlok version was released I'd probably finally break down and buy an upper.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Didn't they used to have cut rifled ss barrels for them? Still able to get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    Didn't they used to have cut rifled ss barrels for them? Still able to get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They used to be Mike rock barrels, trident has some good info on them. The accuracy was outstanding iirc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    They used to be Mike rock barrels, trident has some good info on them. The accuracy was outstanding iirc.
    Are they no longer made by them?
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    MegademiC's correct they used to have Rock SS blanks, however nowadays I'm not sure what exactly they're using. My guess is that they are stilling moving towards producing everything in house including their own blanks.

That said, so much of the MRP's inherent accuracy lies within it's unique chassis, and the way it captures the barrel so any quality barrel should shine once mated with a MRP.

The old barrels were indeed excellent

Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-05-16 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    Ah, thanks for the info, Trident. A quick search turned up that they started moving barrels in house around the 2014 mark..have you had any experience with their SS offerings since? Would be curious to see how they shoot compared to the Rocks (if this was, indeed, a money-saving move for LMT).
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    That said, so much of the MRP's inherent accuracy lies within it's unique chassis, and the way it captures the barrel so any quality barrel should shine once mated with a MRP.
    That's an interesting observation, thought it does make a good deal of sense to me. I am wondering though, does the MRP chassis derive the majority of its accuracy from the fact it's a monolithic chassis, and the barrel attachment system is just gravy on top, or is the other way around, where it is the barrel attachment system that makes the rifle so accurate, and the monolithic upper is just an additional bonus?
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Ah, thanks for the info, Trident. A quick search turned up that they started moving barrels in house around the 2014 mark..have you had any experience with their SS offerings since? Would be curious to see how they shoot compared to the Rocks (if this was, indeed, a money-saving move for LMT).
    It's been some time since I asked about this subject with my friend at LMT, however the last time I did I got a sketchy reply with no real information. What I did take away from the conversation is that he assured me that anything new would meet or exceed the performance of the previous MRP/MWS barrels. From most companies I would take that response with a grain of salt, but from LMT it's different for me. I trust that they will continue to provide the same previous barrel performance standards to any future ones they decide to use.

Congrats on the new MRP by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Find ManBearPig! View Post
    That's an interesting observation, thought it does make a good deal of sense to me. I am wondering though, does the MRP chassis derive the majority of its accuracy from the fact it's a monolithic chassis, and the barrel attachment system is just gravy on top, or is the other way around, where it is the barrel attachment system that makes the rifle so accurate, and the monolithic upper is just an additional bonus?
    To me it's kinda an equal mix of both aspects, and you can't have one without the other. The main advantages I've found that the MRP/MWS design has over traditional AR upper designs (w/regards to accuracy/precision) are:

1. Reduced barrel flex

2. Increased upper rigidity

3. Significantly improved heat dissipation

The barrel lockup design contributes highly in the reduced barrel flexing, whereas having the one piece monolithic chassis contributes to providing a more rigid structure from which to mount optics/kit on, or when using the rifle in a braced/supported position. Then both aspects marry together to turn the entire URG into a very efficient heat sink.

While the above is true for both the MRP, and MWS tops, I've found the advantages are most obviously seen when shooting, and inspecting the MWS.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-06-16 at 01:37.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Jim D. made some damn good points. No doubt the MRP owned the hill for quite a long time, and was way ahead of it's time in 2004, but the market has caught up and surpassed it in many ways. LMT still make outstanding ARs in terms of quality though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    If your concern is price, that's fine, but the quality of LMT products is incomparably above that of AP. I say that as an owner of both, and being closely tied with production guys at AP here in Washington.
    One could even use LMT parts for highly stressed areas, such as the bolt, or even the entire BCG, and still come in way under LMT's pricing on their uppers using the approach in Jim D.'s post.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My progression of AR15's over the years:
    #1: Bushmster - Sold
    #2: LMT MRP - Sold
    #3. Colt - Sold
    #4. and #5. Noveskes - Sold and Sold
    #6. and #7. 10.5" Hk 416's - Sold and Sold
    #8. and #9. Back to LMT with twin 11.5" MRP's...and I'm not looking back. No matter what other AR I went to next, it never measured up to how much I liked that first MRP.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast