Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K Wins CSASS!

Feedback Score
    Not surprising at all that HK won. They know how to make fine weapons.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another 7.62 NATO boom stick with a proprietary mag.

Hell even G3 mags are starting to dry up. If we see a ban in '17 these babies will be worth a kidney or two.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Outside of US market for 7.62 semi-auto precision rifle is divided between HK and FN plus LMT took a bite. CSASS is good news for HK after Lithuania selected SCAR-H PR, despite long relationship with HK. There are also other recent good news for HK, like mentioned Lithuania decided to resume G36 purchases after they found that any G36 "issues" are related to use it in machine gun role, not rifle role. Also they have first Police contract for 29000 SFP9-TR (VP9). Looks like HK will stay with us a bit longer.

BTW Proprietary magazine in HK417/G28 is actually one of points that make then more reliable. When HK started work on HK417 (for Holland, who sent them original AR10 from their inventory to reverse engineering) they first experimented with original AR10 magazines, then moved to G3 magazines. Still they were not satisfied with feeding reliability and finally they decide to design magazine from a start and then make magwell around it. Kind like they did with G36 (magazine was first part designed for G36).
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    BTW Proprietary magazine in HK417/G28 is actually one of points that make then more reliable. When HK started work on HK417 (for Holland, who sent them original AR10 from their inventory to reverse engineering) they first experimented with original AR10 magazines, then moved to G3 magazines. Still they were not satisfied with feeding reliability and finally they decide to design magazine from a start and then make magwell around it. Kind like they did with G36 (magazine was first part designed for G36).
    I have no doubt the HK proprietary magazines are good 2 go, but as a consumer it gets expensive when you buy a rifle that doesn't accept traditional magazines. For many, it is one of the deciding factors when making a purchase.

I'm a mag whore, no way I could sleep at night with only 5 - 10 mags for a particular rifle, especially after '94.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I have good news for you! Buying HKs with their proprietary magazines so far is not mandatory!

But if you sold your kidney to buy one and there is no change left to buy magazines, then there is always that option: http://www.spuhr.biz/hk417-mr308a1-upgrades

Now seriously: 7.62 HKs are really expensive. If one can afford to pay that and put nice glass on top in decent mount, he can afford crate of magazines.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Now seriously: 7.62 HKs are really expensive. If one can afford to pay that and put nice glass on top in decent mount, he can afford crate of magazines.
    When you get to use US tax payer money nothing is too expensive hah!

At the end of the day I want our war fighters to get the very best tools, if the HK is it so be it. I'm no particular manufacturers fan boy. Just wished I could afford an MR762A1 or two, if we ever see a civilian version of their CSASS rifle no doubt it will cost as much as the PSG-1s.

Feedback Score
    Forget MR762. Thing about DMR762? This is full G28 for US civilian market (Euro version would keep G28 designation): http://www.bka.de/nn_205618/SharedDo...KochDMR762.pdf

Unfortunately HK decided that it would be to expensive, heavy (steel upper receiver) and not that accurate enough (chrome lined barrel) to make enough sales. Instead we have MR308A1-28 and MR308A3-28 that is only 10% more expensive that "regular" 16.75" MR308 (MR762 equivalent). Funny enough, A3 version has... chrome lined barrel and seem to be accurate enough.
    Montrala

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    What kind of problems were you having with the 110s?
    Not exactly problems - just that the 20" barrel and fixed stock weren't ideal for how we are employing them. Its nothing that is Knights fault, they US Army made the decisions on the set up.

A shorter barrel (and WAY shorter suppressor) combined with an adjustable stock would have fixed most of our issues. You did have to go through a few 110s to figure out which were the best shooters. Some are 1MOA guns easily while a few are no more accurate than a rack grade M4.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I was in A-Stan in 2009 when our BN fielded the M110. There were complaints about trigger failures and having to send the units back to CONUS. They were also unimpressed with the accuracy. The M14 EBR became the go-to stopgap when the M110's started having problems.
    Interesting.

I was in A-Stan in 2010 when our BN fielded the M14 EBR from the get-go because everyone knew the M110s weren't up to the task

Thanks for figuring that out for us Hopefully none of your guys got hurt with the M110
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The whole magazine compatibility thing is a non-issue. You're going to see the M110's disappear with all their SL3 then the new whatever appears with all its SL3.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast