Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USGI mags outlast all others

Feedback Score

USGI mags outlast all others

(As per Grant's request to start a new thread):

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rental-range/

...a rental range in Las Vegas has some extremely interesting findings when it comes to large round counts, sometimes in excess of 200,000 rounds through commercially available and full auto ARs. Granted, none of the grueling testing procedures in place from a military standpoint are there, but for sheer round count alone, it really tells a lot about what some companies can take and what others can’t when it comes to their rifles and products in general. This all stems from a forum thread on AR15.com that was started in June. His screen name is HendersonDefense, and there is a small arms company in Henderson, NV called Henderson Defense, but the range operations he is talking about are occurring at Battlefield Las Vegas, a big time rental range in Vegas.
    Here’s a little background on what we do. We operate a high-volume range in Las Vegas. You can’t bring your personal weapons in and rent lanes for an hour. Customers use only our weapons and our ammo. We only use factory new ammo and zero reloads. We keep maintenance logs on EACH and every weapon to include cleanings, parts replaced and any other issues that need to be noted. We shoot approximately 400,000 rounds down range each month...
    – USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell’s with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg’s with new weapons. We don’t have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines.
    I just KNEW there was a valid reason to stick to USGI mags.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-04-17 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

USGI mags outlast all others

I'm about 75/25 percent USGI vs PMAGs and Lancer mags. Wonder what their data shows on AR performance and reliability? Part failure per round count etc. it would seem that they are sitting on a goldmine of information with that granularity of data. Can Grant get to that data?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been slowly buying more USGI magazines after reading more about them here.
    I'm almost at the 50/50 point here and I've been boxing the new GI Magazines up and stacking them deep in storage.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This may be an obvious question... I do have a decent amount of Brownells, but lately I've been buying DSG steel mags.
    They use tan followers but steel mags, Teflon coated. My thought process was that DSG really isn't manufacturing them, but someone like Okay or maybe Sabre Defense. Those DSG mags are still considered USGI right?
    I'm guessing but doesn't another defense contractor likely make Brownell's mags?

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Buy 'me cheap and stack 'em deep!
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So for us causal shooters that don't shoot that much I guess it depends on what you like and can afford. I get both the plastic type and USGI mags.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This may be an obvious question... I do have a decent amount of Brownells, but lately I've been buying DSG steel mags.
    I think - I hope - you mean aluminum. Most of the actual steel mags on the market range from mediocre to total junk. Cammenga and HK may be exceptions, but both of those are rare, heavy and expensive.

They use tan followers but steel mags, Teflon coated. My thought process was that DSG really isn't manufacturing them, but someone like Okay or maybe Sabre Defense. Those DSG mags are still considered USGI right?
    The DSG mags, and most other store-branded mags I've seen, are made by D&H. They are identical to GI mags in size/shape/material, although someone could get into a hair-splitting contest on whether they are "true" GI mags.

Other USGI contractors are OKAY Industries and Brownells.

I'm guessing but doesn't another defense contractor likely make Brownell's mags?
    Although all other store-brand mags I know of are made by someone else for the store, my memory of the introduction of the Brownells mags is that Brownells actually contracted for their own stamping dies and manufacturing, and did not simply buy mags from D&H or OKAY. This is a memory from years back so I could be wrong. My memory is also that Brownells was a direct government contractor at the time, making and selling mags to .gov back when Iraq was hot and the gov was purchasing huge quantities.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 01-04-17 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm about 50/50 between USGI and "plastic" mags. Been starting to use the USGI mags more and more lately.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Some of the cheaper USGI-style commercial aluminum mags appear to skimp on the outside coating and that may explain the price. For example, I've got mags with a shiny black coating instead of the military's dry film coating. I'm not sure if they are 100% made to GI spec other than the finish, but so far the ones I've used for six years or more and thousands of rounds have worked just fine.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can break down in detail what makes the commercial mags "near GI grade" or not.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I think - I hope - you mean aluminum. Most of the actual steel mags on the market range from mediocre to total junk. Cammenga and HK may be exceptions, but both of those are rare, heavy and expensive.
    My bad Doc - I meant aluminum mags. I think that was force of habit.

The DSG mags, and most other store-branded mags I've seen, are made by D&H. They are identical to GI mags in size/shape/material, although someone could get into a hair-splitting contest on whether they are "true" GI mags.
    Thanks Doc, D&H was the other manuf. I was trying to think of. Most of my USGI mags have ranger plates so I cannot always see the manufacturer.
    That's also good to know about DSG mags. I definitely trust their quality especially if they put their name on it. I've never been let down by a DSG Arms branded product.
    I want to say the mags I still have from when I was in are all Okay mags. I'm thinking the Sabre Defense mags were just SD floor plates on either Okay or D&H maybe...
    I have a few Okay mags from back in "the day", they still function as training mags. The finish is so worn down they appear almost brass colored.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast