Thread: New to Carbine and my First Training options?

Feedback Score

New to Carbine and my First Training options?

I want to take a Carbine class and have had no formal training other than buddies at the range. I'm 57 years old and just OK condition. I can run short distances (Bad knee) get up and down OK and routinely walk 3-4 miles a day over open terrain. I'm familiar with my AR (zeroed and maybe 500 rounds at the range) but want to lean more.

I have a choice of two Alias Training programs convenient to my schedule: Larry Vickers 1-Day Basic Carbine or Mike Pannone 2-Day Carbine.

Would a two day class be overload for a older beginner and would I be sucking wind with the two day class?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Of the two, I'd say go with the LAV 1 day class.

Courses of fire aren't necessarily physically demanding but most folks who aren't used to it can get their butts kicked from being out on a range for 8 hours straight; especially if the weather is hot and humid.

Larry's focus on marksmanship fundamentals will also serve you well if you decide to do a two day class later, regardless of the instructor.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    LAV all the way. You will learn so much you will be amazed.

Feedback Score
    I think you'd be fine with the 2 day, it isn't anything like military training. That said, take the LAV 1 day now. Practice what you learn, then do a 2 or 3 day class next year!
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member