Thread: Servicing a S&W Model 17 .22lr Revolver?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Servicing a S&W Model 17 .22lr Revolver?

I have an older Model 17 .22lr full lug 6" barrel S&W. It's not with me at the moment, and I can't remember off the top of my head the exact model - number. It's blued with a 10 shot alloy cylinder, not the heavier steel cylinders. It is a pre-lock.

The gun does have some finish wear on it, and it's had close to 1500 - 2000 rounds thru it. I know it's not a lot, but the gun is definitely a bit "worn". It's always been taken with me on every shooting trip/range session, and it's what I always use to introduce new shooters with. That said, as much as I try to preserve the gun, it's bound to get some rough handling marks.

So, maybe not right now, but sometime in the near future I would like to have it "touched up", for lack of better words. Refinish, maybe tighten the cylinder fit a little; it seemed like the lock up is not what it used to be.

Is there a preferred smith that can do this?

My first thought was to send it to S&W performance center, but I'm not sure if they would offer to do the work. Furthermore, I'm not sure if I would get the attention to detail that perhaps a smaller business would give. Any recommendations?

I've also tossed around the idea of having the cylinder replaced with a steel one? I did read on the S&W forum that people had this done to their 17's with alloy cylinders, by sending the guns to Performance Center at S&W. Although the the thread was a bit dated, and I'm not sure if they would still offer this. Even more so, I'm wondering if the Performance Center is still as good as it used to be, or did their quality go down?

I have no valid reason to believe their quality went downhill, but as with everything it seems like every company is subject to slipping quality control over time.

Thanks
    Last edited by w3453l; 05-12-16 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a S&W guy of many decades. I strongly suggest that you call their service department and discuss what you would like done. My opinion is that they can work on their products better than anybody else and are less likely to screw up your revolver. At 2000 rounds your gun is barely broken in. If you are having zero mis- fires then the cylinder does not require tightening up--which means reducing end shake by peening the yoke. I'm saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The finish wear that you describe is the normal wear and tear on any handgun that's carried or shot much. Another name is honest wear, and it does not attract from the gun's appearance or usefulness. If you choose to have your revolver refinished, I suggest that you google Robar Industries and look at their many offerings. The company's work is expensive, but once again, you get what you pay for.

What would I do? Nothing except continue to shoot this fine revolver, which properly cared for can be passed on to your children. You are fortunate that you have had time and opportunity to put this honest wear it. And, thank you for letting new shooters use your revolver.

ADDENDUM: One other function comment. If your revolver is not spitting lead particles or gas when firing it, then the chambers are lining up perfectly with the barrel throat. So if you have a 10 shot revolver with its cylinders lining up with the barrel throat, and if you are having zero misfires, then you, sir, have a perfect handgun, and I would NOT let anybody work on it or touch it. I can't emphasize this statement too much unless I called you collect and cursed you for even considering letting somebody touch the Smith.
    Last edited by williejc; 05-16-16 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    I have the same m17, purchased used earlier this year. It appeared to be barely shot and I loved the lighter feel of the alloy cylinder. It ended up being a spit-monster after 20 rounds or so. I sent it in to S&W and was worried they might replace the cylinder with a heavier stainless one as others have said, but they ended up altering the forcing cone.
    Regarding the performance center it appears to be based upon who works on your gun. I had heard good things about it when I sent in my 65LS for a Master action job and it ended up needing to go back twice more before it would function properly. That was in 2008. I would still send it in there for work b/c now they have a better system of returning a gun where you can schedule a pickup at your location. Back in 2008 I had to drive 40miles roundtrip each time to go to the UPS hub.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I'm a S&W guy of many decades. I strongly suggest that you call their service department and discuss what you would like done. My opinion is that they can work on their products better than anybody else and are less likely to screw up your revolver. At 2000 rounds your gun is barely broken in. If you are having zero mis- fires then the cylinder does not require tightening up--which means reducing end shake by peening the yoke. I'm saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The finish wear that you describe is the normal wear and tear on any handgun that's carried or shot much. Another name is honest wear, and it does not attract from the gun's appearance or usefulness. If you choose to have your revolver refinished, I suggest that you google Robar Industries and look at their many offerings. The company's work is expensive, but once again, you get what you pay for.

What would I do? Nothing except continue to shoot this fine revolver, which properly cared for can be passed on to your children. You are fortunate that you have had time and opportunity to put this honest wear it. And, thank you for letting new shooters use your revolver.

ADDENDUM: One other function comment. If your revolver is not spitting lead particles or gas when firing it, then the chambers are lining up perfectly with the barrel throat. So if you have a 10 shot revolver with its cylinders lining up with the barrel throat, and if you are having zero misfires, then you, sir, have a perfect handgun, and I would NOT let anybody work on it or touch it. I can't emphasize this statement too much unless I called you collect and cursed you for even considering letting somebody touch the Smith.
    Haha, no lead particles or gas when firing.

I think I'm going to go ahead and just leave the gun as is. I agree that ~2000 rds is very little. It's a very nice shooter, and crazy accurate. I never mind any finish wear on guns.

The whole idea of getting the gun redone sparked when I looked at buying another one of these. It's crazy how expensive they've gotten, and it made me think maybe I shouldn't subject it to so much use. Your post pretty much reminded me of my original line of thinking. Much better to wear the gun out thru use, than have it be some show piece X amount of years from now.

I guess the only thing I'll go through with changing is the grips. As comfortable as they are, I think the gun deserves some nice wood.

And yeah the gun really draws a lot of attention. Most people who've never shot before get all excited about shooting an AK, AR, or some other gun they've seen in the movies. They usually just stick to shooting the M17 once they try it.

The one negative I've ever heard really is that it kind of sours their excitement for buying a .22 of their own. They go shopping for a .22 pistol expecting to find something on par to the 17 in quality, and instead realize most other 22's either feel more like "toys" or they're a bit more expensive than expected.

Feedback Score
    Refinishing has never made any sense to me - you spend money to essentially decrease ( yes decrease) the value of a gun if collectible and add zero value if it is not a collectible. Let the tool be used develop battle scars of honor and continue enjoying functional art until it wears out- which will very likely long after you do