Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously...how much gas and crud comes out a 9mm ejection port?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Seriously...how much gas and crud comes out a 9mm ejection port?

Okay, I cant seem to find any good answers for this questions. I either get two polar opposites or something south of wishy-washy. I was going to use a Quentin Defense Upper on my 9mm pistol. I got to pick one up at the gun show and decided while impressive as they are, I don't want that big hunk'o'upper on my pistol. I've changed up to wanting as low pro as I can get. My QC10 lower if finished. I'm ready to order my upper receiver parts.

The Question: How much gas and crap really comes blasting out the ejection port on a 9mm AR?

On the stripped upper itself, I don't want a FA but is the big oreo cookie look'n deflector a must? If you don't use one, is there any point in even having a standard brass deflector on the thing at all? Would the 9mm brass even contact it? At that point why not just use one like the total slick DMPS with no brass defector, FA or port door? I will eventually have a suppressor on this thing and it's getting SBRed as soon as it's function tested to make sure it all works together as a pistol. I've never shot a 9mm AR. the only one my husband has shot was a buddys slick side A1 colt. He said it was a total slick side, nothing fit tight and it rattled like a can full of lug nuts. He said most of the time even shooting with glasses on, he was getting peppered in the face. He described it as getting blasted with hot sand. He also said while frequent, it was totally random. Two mags almost every round, next mag maybe every other shot, one mag not at all....next three every round. Said it completely took the fun out of it. Was that from the AR being old, sloppy, beat to heck and shooting hard cast lead reloads?

I don't want to get a total slick side then not enjoy shooting the thing, especially suppressed---brass and gas going everywhere. But finding a flat top slick side with no FA and only a port door isn't easy. I just do't see the standard defector on a 5.56 upper being any use since its so far behind the ejector.

HELP!
    Last edited by MPchinadoll; 01-20-15 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    Honestly on my guns not so much...I put 'em on 9's cause people expect 'em....I have a dedicated yellow logic lower and upper I got YEARS ago with no deflector, no FA and no port door....and have no issues of crap in the face with it. Unfortunately I can't comment on suppressed except for one that belongs to a friend of mine......and it seems that most of the powder residue I had to pick out of my face came out around the charging handle.....it is why I started building DI pistol cal uppers for a living....;-)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good to know. I'm not sure if it will help anything or not but I'll be using an extra PRI gas buster we had for the CH. It cant hurt My husband and one of his friends did the orange silicone thing on a regular CH to use in the buddy suppressed colt M4.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    Honestly on my guns not so much..I have a dedicated yellow logic lower and upper I got YEARS ago with no deflector, no FA and no port door....and have no issues of crap in the face with it.

it is why I started building DI pistol cal uppers for a living....;-) SAYS WHAT NOW!? Do tell!

Well, I hope I don't regret this...I just ordered a slick side forged upper from a place called MOD 1 Sales. I liked the clean look of the DPMS, but not the sound of being extruded. That and when I said DPMS, my husband frowned at me. The one I ordered was in stock for $90, much less than I had planned on spending. It says its a 7075 forging, no FA, shell deflector or dust cover. I really like the look of it so hopefully it turns out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just got a Colt 9mm A4 upper from G&R tactical because I didn't want the FA or brass deflector, but wanted the door. It comes with the "Oreo cookie" and half door, but I'm tempted to replace them with a regular door. We'll see.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    I just got a Colt 9mm A4 upper from G&R tactical because I didn't want the FA or brass deflector, but wanted the doordoor.

Awww fudge sicles that was exactly what I wanted in the first place but couldn't find anything in stock but one RRA.....for $190 ! I didn't ever come across G&R. Let me know how it works, I just got an email from Mod 1 saying my upper shipped.

this is what I ordered
    Last edited by MPchinadoll; 01-23-15 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Here's some of what I have so far. The trigger guard and tubular hand guard are there for show and measuring.

I thought about getting a BCM blemished upper, but the forward assist and brass deflector would be basically useless and add weight.

MPchinadoll, maybe you could use it for a .22lr build.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Here's some of what I have so far. The trigger guard and tubular hand guard are there for show and measuring.

I thought about getting a BCM blemished upper, but the forward assist and brass deflector would be basically useless and add weight.

MPchinadoll, maybe you could use it for a .22lr build.
    I would just save it for a .22, but we've already got .22s coming out our ears My husband collects military trainers, and I have a favorite I'm pretty attached to. Well I see how it goes, if I get blasted by it too much I may go another route. I'm hoping to have it by Wednesday. I found a 7" wilson barrel from JSE surplus, He's kinda skeptical of the $105.00 price tag.

Yours looks great so far! what brand lower is that? looks similar to mine, but with a standard looking mag button.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks. The lower is made by GPI Manufacturing. I really wanted a QC10 lower, but I decided to save a little bit of money (~$100).

From what I've read, the Wilson barrels are decent. I'm trying to pick out a barrel right now for my build and I'm thinking a 5.5" barrel with 1/2"-28 threads.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The DPMS smoothside uppers work well for me..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast