Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shouldering a "pistol"

Feedback Score
    To the op, the consequences of shouldering an AR pistol for me is that, after a few rounds, my nose starts to hurt.
    The buffer tube is kind of on the short side, and my nose is hard up against the charging handle.
    I usually put it to the side of my cheek.

That's pretty much it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My first AR pistol led to two SBRs. I really wanted to be able to shoulder it as soon as I got to shooting it. Kept the pistol lower for travel purposes if it's last minute.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    My first AR pistol led to two SBRs. I really wanted to be able to shoulder it as soon as I got to shooting it. Kept the pistol lower for travel purposes if it's last minute.
    Ditto here with three SBRs now. Plus I can keep the pistol loaded next to me in the truck (w/PTC) if I ever have to drive through a hairy situation. I've managed to avoid the nasty places so far, but when little sis calls crying, scared in a broken down car prudence plays second fiddle.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    With the allowable braces, is it really worth the hassle and cost of SBR? I was comparing my AR 10.5" with my carbine. Its a couple of inches with the carbine stock retracted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What would be the implications of submitting a form 1 on an AR pistol, but leaving on a Sig brace instead of a conventional stock -- is it then an AR pistol or SBR, and at what time? Could you travel with it as an AR pistol, but be protected against a charge of making it an NFA SBR depending upon use of the brace, by virtue of having an approved form 1?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What would be the implications of submitting a form 1 on an AR pistol, but leaving on a Sig brace instead of a conventional stock -- is it then an AR pistol or SBR, and at what time? Could you travel with it as an AR pistol, but be protected against a charge of making it an NFA SBR depending upon use of the brace, by virtue of having an approved form 1?
    i am pretty sure by making it an aproved sbr the classification fully changes from pistol to sbr or short barreled rifle. and having the lower shows obvious intent with the arm brace to be used as a flimsy stock making it intended to be shoulderd via a registered sbr.

other than not looking like a sbr at a distance i dont see the value vs even a cheap stock

use the sbr lower at home and carry the pistol lower under ccw

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 07-24-16 at 03:27.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Regardless of your intended use and type of buffer/brace/stock system you put on the lower, the bottom line is that once you form1 SBR a lower, even if it started life as a pistol, it is now a SBR and always will be, just like turning a pistol lower into a standard rifle makes it a rifle forever. The stamp on the form1 is tied to that serial # and its up to you the risk you are willing to take with transporting it across state lines or leaving it in your vehicle. I personally would never want to deal with the hassle of declaring a stolen NFA item to the ATF...makes no difference if you happened to have a pistol brace on it at the time it was stolen.

As many others have said, too many are drastically overthinking this. Reasonable people can agree that there are pros and cons to SBRs and pistols, especially depending upon ones state of residence, occupation, and lifestyle. I have lived in many states that don't all have the same laws. I refuse to ever be in violation of federal law when it comes to my NFA items regardless of my potential level of disagreement with them. Like many others, I have exactly one dedicated pistol lower which occasionally serves its purpose(s) if/when I need to call upon it.

As for the original thread question, Fight Club is a perfect rule of thumb.
    Too many YouTube/keyboard Commandos are engaging in stupid activities, drawing way too much attention, and F-ing things up for the rest of us. Call it the Costa syndrome I suppose...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is where it gets confusing.

As I understand it, you can remove a short barrel from a SBR and SBS, and use that long gun without NFA restrictions. In this case, it is the physical characteristics, being the length of the barrel, that determine the NFA status.

With the AR pistol, if you form 1 a pistol with, for example, a brace, there may be no physical change in the appearance?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Here is where it gets confusing.

As I understand it, you can remove a short barrel from a SBR and SBS, and use that long gun without NFA restrictions. In this case, it is the physical characteristics, being the length of the barrel, that determine the NFA status.

With the AR pistol, if you form 1 a pistol with, for example, a brace, there may be no physical change in the appearance?
    Again, way too much analysis and over-thinking here...
    Of course you aren't subject to using a receiver under NFA restrictions when it's not in an NFA configuration, such as a pistol or standard rifle, even if that receiver is a Form4 factory SBR or Form1 manufactured SBR. The question is why would you do such a thing...because you're in a different state? Or because you are using a pistol configuration in a vehicle, etc? The fact remains that there is still a tax stamp and associated federal registry and paperwork tied directly to that serial # receiver. Only way to reverse that is to go through a deliberate process and have its SBR status removed. I have absolutely zero knowledge/experience on how to do this...never have and never will.
    So why not just have a dedicated pistol lower to eliminate the potential issues? Plus, I'm pretty sure anyone who goes through the process of obtaining an AR-type SBR also has at least 1 standard AR-type rifle receiver. So just use that and safeguard your dedicated registered SBR receivers for lawful use in a secure environment where there isn't any ambiguity. The only thing certain and consistent in the world of agency regulations and restrictions is that there is nothing certain nor consistent about them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast