Thread: 124 or 147 for 9mm PDW?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

124 or 147 for 9mm PDW?

Sig MPX in particular. 8" barrel. Folded it will fit in a backpack rather easily. Now, in either 124 or 147 weights it would be +P or +P+, not standard pressure. Obviously the 124gr would generate more velocity, especially out of the longer-than-a-handgun barrel. However, the 147gr pill has a longer length-to-diameter ratio so *should* be more aerodynamic. I'm looking at it being a 100yd gun. A +P 147gr round should get me close to 1200fps, which would be an 8" drop at 100yds but still over 1000fps once it gets there. The 124gr +P (and even more so with the +P+) would yield maybe 1300+ fps at the muzzle with less drop at 100.

Opinions?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Already perused it! And yeah, it's a good reference source for ballpark figures.

When/if Sig ever comes out with a 357Sig version of the MPX I'll be all over it. Now THAT would kick things up a notch!

So which would you choose ST911......147 or 124 (+P or +P+ of course)?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My 4" barrel P-35 will keep rounds in the "c" zone @ 100 yds. with 124 +P HST- from a braced position of course.

Question(s);
    Have you shot both the 147's and 124's at distance?
    Is penetration important? The 147's at slower velocity and being longer/better sectional density- would penetrate more than the 124's in theory.

I would get a box or two of each bullet weight and shoot at distance- if that is what you are looking for (a 100 yd. capable round).
    I would go with the more accurate round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My 4" barrel P-35 will keep rounds in the "c" zone @ 100 yds. with 124 +P HST- from a braced position of course.

Question(s);
    Have you shot both the 147's and 124's at distance?
    Is penetration important? The 147's at slower velocity and being longer/better sectional density- would penetrate more than the 124's in theory.

I would get a box or two of each bullet weight and shoot at distance- if that is what you are looking for (a 100 yd. capable round).
    I would go with the more accurate round.
    No, haven't done so yet. It would be nice if the 147gr +P HST (my CCW choice BTW) could hit 1200fps from the MPX but I doubt it. They're rated at 1050fps from a 4" handgun barrel and I doubt you'd pick up 150fps on the heavy 147gr bullet by going to an 8" barrel.

Underwood loads a 147gr XTP +P load rated at 1125fps from a handgun (and I believe it; Underwood loads some hot stuff). That said, the HST would be my first choice as you'd get the 147gr's sectional density/penetration with the HST's great expansion. XTP's aren't known for expanding all that much. Hell, even if I could find a 147gr +P Gold Dot but Underwood doesn't list it anymore and Buffalo Bore is out of stock.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Have you considered a 135-grain +P like the Hornady Critical Duty or the Federal Tactical?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    No, haven't done so yet. It would be nice if the 147gr +P HST (my CCW choice BTW) could hit 1200fps from the MPX but I doubt it. They're rated at 1050fps from a 4" handgun barrel and I doubt you'd pick up 150fps on the heavy 147gr bullet by going to an 8" barrel.

Underwood loads a 147gr XTP +P load rated at 1125fps from a handgun (and I believe it; Underwood loads some hot stuff). That said, the HST would be my first choice as you'd get the 147gr's sectional density/penetration with the HST's great expansion. XTP's aren't known for expanding all that much. Hell, even if I could find a 147gr +P Gold Dot but Underwood doesn't list it anymore and Buffalo Bore is out of stock.
    I'm betting that this will be answered by your weapon's preference for ammo rather than a ballistics table. That is to say, you may find that your gun shoots 2" groups at 50 yards with 147 grain ammo and 5" groups with 124 grain pills or visa versa. My suggestion is to get out and shoot some targets at 50 and 100 yards with a few different loads - its real, its fun, and its the only way to definitively answer your question.

Also, I'm assuming that you are not suppressing this weapon or noise is not a significant determinant if you are?
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For a 100 yard round, the 147gr +P HST is king. For 50 yards, the std HST is also outstanding.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."