Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ammo for practicing

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

What ammo for practicing

So I just received my first precision upper from Bravo Company and I would like to start getting into precision shooting. So, my question is what ammo do you use to practice precision shooting without spending $1.00 per round? I will be getting a good amount of match grade ammo to see what my rifle likes, but I feel "I" need to get better before I start spending money on good ammo, especially when any inaccuracies will probably be because of me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Well that is difficult. I would experiment with a variety of AMMO and see if you can find some mid grade AMMO that your gun really likes. If you can find some that shoots 1.5 inches or maybe 2.0 inches.

You could practice with that at .50 a round. Buy some PMC, WINCHESTER , REMMMY ETC and maybe get lucky. As long as you know the best your gun shoots it. That can provide a baseline to practice.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The most frustrating thing about bad ammo is you never know if you threw the shot, bad wind call etc.

I just sold 2K of Winchester Nato and German DAG because it was too frustrating not knowing if it was me or the ammo.

Definitely try some out and see what your gun likes. I've found Winchester Nato to be AWFUL.

Do you know anyone that reloads? You could do "Mexican Match": buy a cheap surplus round, pull the bullet and replace with a match bullet (SMK, AMAX, etc.)
    Last edited by domestique; 04-10-16 at 17:12.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score

What ammo for practicing

I reload, and so far have not reloaded any cheap 55fmj bullets. Only load 69smk's or other good bullets. Cost is around $.43/round. Way cheaper than $1 or $1.25/round.

I just did some Mexican match but haven't tried them yet. 69gr Hornady match in place of 62gr green tip in federal rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbdesigns; 04-10-16 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My big thing is I don't want to be throwing money away shooting black hills or Hornady when I probably won't be that accurate with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Other than poor accuracy, are there any other ill effects to the weapon system?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    What's your intended use for the rifle? Steel out to 600 you can use m193 without too many issues. Hits won't be especially loud at 500-600, but you can still see swingers move.

On the other hand, if you're punching paper and want bug holes, you're going to need some really good match quality loads.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What ammo for practicing

I buy the Hornady 55gr FMJBT 50 packs for about $27. They hold right around 1 MOA out of my rifle. If I'm looking for a more accurate round at 400 yards+ I switch to Hornady 55gr VMAX about $20 per 20
    If I'm shooting off hand or less then 100 yards PMC FMJBT does the trick for $325-$350 per 1,000.

I've tried about a dozen different rounds and have found this combination to work well with both of my rifles. Except for the Hornady VMAX which surprisingly didn't shoot well in my Daniel Defense V11 but, I don't intend to shoot it past 300 yards.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.
    Last edited by dbain99; 04-10-16 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just got a 18" BCM upper and my intended purpose was for medium range shooting 200-600 yards. This is for me to just try and get into precision shooting and of course I want to be as accurate as I can, but all I really want is to get under 1 moa out to 600. Mainly ringing steel out to that distance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMHO that's a pretty tall order.
    You have a lot of testing in your future but that's the fun in all of this.
    When I started on a similar venture I ordered AR500 targets from Mitch at MOA Targets that were 2 MOA that I could space every hundred yards from 100-600. (Watch your speeds at 100 because I will ever so slight peck it with a 20" barrel with Hornady VMAX)
    I got out to 400 yards on an 8" steel pretty quickly and easily. Getting to 500 & 600 at 2 MOA is a bit more challenging.
    Enjoy the journey.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast