Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What ammo for practicing

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    When you start shooting past 300 yards. It's a good idea to get 62 or 69 grain AMMO. With 77 being the best all other things equal. If you reload the 1,000 round buckets of Nosler match are a bargain. Right on the heels of SMK's.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I will do some more searching but what powder do you guys prefer that is actually available?

Feedback Score
    Imr 4895, cfe 223, varget, h322,
    Lots available. Almost any powder if hand loading will beat your off the shelf 55gr fm just stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    CBC 77GR has been as low as 40 cents per round if memory serves me right. If you want super cheap, wold gold is about 1.5-2 MOA and priced as low as 30 cents per round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    CBC 77GR has been as low as 40 cents per round if memory serves me right. If you want super cheap, wold gold is about 1.5-2 MOA and priced as low as 30 cents per round.
    This. For cheap plinky ammo that's relatively accurate I haven't found anything better than Wolf Gold. You can find it on line for .31 delivered, if you are willing to buy in bulk. Ammo shoots 2 MOA or better in all 3 of my AR's. That's good enough for you to start out with, especially if you plan to practice shooting offhand, sitting, etc. Haven't shot the CBC 77 grain, but have shot IMI 77 grain with good results, which should be pretty similar. For match ammo, you might try Priv Part., which is generally cheaper than Black Hills and Federal Gold Medal Match, but will not be quite as accurate. I've also had good luck with a variety of ammo using V-max and A-max bullets.

Feedback Score
    For shooting precision at 100yds or so the Federal American Eagle Tipped 50gr is usually very accurate.

This load is not going to buck the wind well at 600yds but for precision practice at 100yds on paper is is worth checking out.
    Director of Operations
    Co owner Wyoming Arms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got 200 rounds of Fiocchi 50gr V-MAX on sale for a little less than $0.50/rd at Cabela's last month and finally got a chance to get a good zero today. This is from a Centurion Recce barrel and factory LMT mil-spec trigger.

People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    My buddy and I like shooting the Hornady Steel Match out of a few .308's. Although it's a lot more than when we first started using it. Not sure if their .223 would be the same.
    "It runs contrary to popular wisdom, but the truth is that the less we look out for ourselves, the more extraordinary the results." -- Chuck Petrie.

Proud owner of a very special BCM rifle

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    It's hard to say when we don't know what you'll be shooting as your primary round.

I reload 77gr SMK's but I've found that PPU 75gr Match is a decent substitute for factory ammo at a good price point. Approx. .60 to .70 per round, sometimes cheaper.
    To get good at precision / long range you're going to have to shoot a lot. I recommend reloading.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    I have been using PPU 75 grain match in BCM mid-length with a 16 bfh barrel. Using a Leopold 3-9 patrol optic I have been getting groups around an inch or so at 100 yards and shot a memorial day sniper match and was getting good hits at 540 yards. Used the ballistic calculator on the hornady website to get my data since I had none. It was spot on. $11.99 at Cabela's. It seems to work decent.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12