Thread: Help me set up a suppressed 9 mm AR carbine

Feedback Score

Question Help me set up a suppressed 9 mm AR carbine

I was thinking of buying either a CMMG Mk 9T or Colt 6951 16" carbine for my wife to shoot and use for home defense. I want to attach a suppressor to it, and I would like some input for those of you with similar set ups. I am not really interested in getting into SBRs at this time, but I realize their obvious advantage in a home defense environment. I am hoping I can get her hooked enough to shoot some steel matches with it, as she does not like the report of my 5.56 NATO ARs. I think a 9 mm suppressed carbine might get her to the range more often first, and then I could get her a suppressed 5.56 NATO or .300 blackout set up. I can get her to shoot my Glock 17 and 19, so sticking to the same caliber will be a help in terms of familiarity.

Would you buy the CMMG or Colt? Any other brands preferred? I like the CMMG because it already has a keymod handguard installed and uses a dedicated lower. I intend to put an Aimpoint on top for her, and if she is willing to learn, a Surefire up front. As an aside, it seems that metalform/Colt magazines are proven to be reliable. Brownells magazines appear to get mixed reviews. I know Wilson is selling their AR9 carbine, but I don't think $2000 is worth the price just to use Glock magazines. The use of a pistol magazine is not essential to me, but it could in theory be easier for my wife to use between a Glock 17 and a carbine that uses Glock mags. I'm all ears on this one.

As far as suppressors are concerned, I have my eyes on SilencerCo Octane 9 or Gemtech's multimount meant for SMGs. I am a huge Surefire fan (as I own a SOCOM 7.62), but the new Ryder is offered on a 1/2-28 thread. It appears the Colt uses a 1/2-36 thread, so I need a set up that is compatible with the Colt pattern AR threads. The suppressor will spend most of its time mounted to this carbine, but I would prefer a set up similar to the Surefire SOCOM series with a QD mount mated to a flash hider. I am not sure if anyone out there offers that set up though. Any other suppression suggestions?

Last but not least, it would appear that Clint's heavy buffers is the go to source for a 9 mm buffer (9Q-T model). Correct?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I bought my Colt 6450 some years ago and it has been 100% reliable. When I got it there were very few options for a PCC and very little of after market support. The experience I have had with it has been great and I would highly recommend one. I am in the process of building a QC10 9mm SBR Glock lower and wish they were available when I bought my Colt.

I would suggest reconsidering an SBR since your purpose for this is a SD weapon for the home and your wife. By the time you add a can to a 16" barrel, your ability to manipulate confined areas is limited much more so than a 5-8" barrel. You could opt for the Colt and send off for the stamp while you use it. When your stamp comes in, have the barrel cut down and threaded.
    Last edited by svtpwnz; 04-11-16 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
    I bought my Colt 6450 some years ago and it has been 100% reliable. When I got it there were very few options for a PCC and very little of after market support. The experience I have had with it has been great and I would highly recommend one. I am in the process of building a QC10 9mm SBR Glock lower and wish they were available when I bought my Colt.

I would suggest reconsidering an SBR since your purpose for this is a SD weapon for the home and your wife. By the time you add a can to a 16" barrel, your ability to manipulate confined areas is limited much more so than a 5-8" barrel. You could opt for the Colt and send off for the stamp while you use it. When your stamp comes in, have the barrel cut down and threaded.
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree that SBR is the way to go for home defense, male or female, as the advantages are more than obvious. The problem I have is the BATF and the need to submit paperwork every time you travel out of state with it. If I visit a friend across state lines with a SBR, I need to submit a form. I just find it onerous and one more thing for me to keep track of. I will just stick with suppressors for now. If time and my living situation permits, I will go the SBR route.

Does anyone else have any other comments?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree that SBR is the way to go for home defense, male or female, as the advantages are more than obvious. The problem I have is the BATF and the need to submit paperwork every time you travel out of state with it. If I visit a friend across state lines with a SBR, I need to submit a form. I just find it onerous and one more thing for me to keep track of. I will just stick with suppressors for now. If time and my living situation permits, I will go the SBR route.

Does anyone else have any other comments?

Thanks
    You could buy the 16" rifle now and file your paper work to SBR it. When you stamp comes in, engrave the lower and buy a complete SBR upper and keep both. When you travel, just swap back on the 16" upper and your GTG. Grant at G&R usually has the Colt SBR 9mm uppers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
    You could buy the 16" rifle now and file your paper work to SBR it. When you stamp comes in, engrave the lower and buy a complete SBR upper and keep both. When you travel, just swap back on the 16" upper and your GTG. Grant at G&R usually has the Colt SBR 9mm uppers.
    That's a good point, but the NFA item is still the registered lower, or so I thought. I would have to ask a NFA trust attorney on that one.

Feedback Score
    There is another option.
    Is the suppressor going to be dedicated to this one gun?
    If so, you could permanently attach it to a short barrel, bringing it back to 16".
    No sbr, just the suppressor, which you don't need to f5 to travel with.

However, if you do go sbr, just keep a non sbr upper, and travel with it mounted.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    [QUOTE=MadAngler1;2303067]That's a good point, but the NFA item is still the registered lower, or so I thought. I would have to ask a NFA trust attorney on that one.[/QUOTE

Once you go through the process and have your stamp in hand, yes it is a registered SBR. However, if you change the upper back to a 16" barrel, it is no longer a SBR in terms of the ATF's definition and therefor you can travel out of state with it. Just make certain that you DO NOT take the SBR upper with you across state lines and of course make sure you are able to legally posess the firearm in the state you are traveling to or crossing through.
    Last edited by svtpwnz; 04-13-16 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I should have added to leave the sbr upper at home.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    That's a good point, but the NFA item is still the registered lower, or so I thought. I would have to ask a NFA trust attorney on that one.
    It is still registered but if you remove the short barrel and do not possess it when you travel it is good to go. Same with a shotgun. When you get home slap the shorty upper back on and your'e good to go. You cold also buy a pistol lower and travel with the short upper. Or you can just send ATF notice once a year with the place you are likely to travel with your SBR and your'e covered.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree