Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Zenith/MKE MP5 Higher round count feedback

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Zenith/MKE MP5 Higher round count feedback

I know that MP5 clones aren't cheap, and with that they tend to attract a lot of collectors/"snobs" (for lack of a better word, I don't mean offense to anyone. I just mean there's a lot of guys that by a clone MP5 and judge by weld patterns and finish sheen, yet barely ever shoot the thing).

So are there any reputable hard use reviews on the MKE MP5 series?

I know they are made on HK tooling, but how do they compare to the real HK's?

It's hard to weave through the reviews that are skewed based on politics (being they are made in Turkey), and the guys that buy guns more for looking at then using.

I'm not 100% convinced I want to buy a PCC. It's only going to get harder where I am right now, so I might as well get it right the first time if I do decide to go through with it.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My ATI imported MKE AT-94P SBR only has a little more than 1k through it (it's mostly a nostalgia range toy) but it has run flawlessly through them. I have shot everything from crappy Tula steel case to 147gr JHP defense loads without a hiccup. All from MKE or Korean mags as well.

My MKE is presently having its barrel replaced but the original MKE barrel was fine. The only reason it's getting an RCM barrel (for free) is that a former employee of the shop that cut the barrel down screwed up the threading when installing the 3 Lug adapter. I didn't find this out until after I got my suppressor a couple of years later.

I find it funny listening to all the people talking about "weld quality", etc. I ran an early '80s manufactured HK MP5 hard for a short period of time in '87. (US Army's weapon.) It's finish might originally have been better than my MKE's but the welds weren't any better quality. I would rather have a gun built on HK tooling, whether by MKE or POF, than a gun built on someone's backwards engineering of the tooling.

This is why I never bought one of the clones before ATI imported the MKEs. (I also didn't want to spend what buying a converted HK94 would cost.) My MKE is from the second batch ATI imported. I understand some of the guns in the first batch were "rougher" and that the guns Zenith is bringing in are supposed to be better cosmetically than mine. No personal experience with either so I can't say. All I know is mine runs just as well as the Oberndorf built gun that the Army put in my hands. It just doesn't have the happy switch. Which is just as well, full auto gets really expensive really fast unless someone else is paying for the ammo.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 04-11-16 at 23:24.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Being as the MKE is as close to a contract-license built HK semi as you can find outside Germany you'll probably go at least half a million rounds (several bolts and barrels) on the base gun. NASA had a documented security-training gun at Cape Kennedy they finally retired after an article about it was published as a cover story in the old Soldier of Fortune magazine.

Lots of MP5s went through the Lexington-Blue Grass Army Depot on the way to reserve war storage that just chugged along like a 9mm Energizer bunny.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Can you still find the MKE imported guns? The rifle version, not the pistol...I would love to have one to SBR as who doesn't want the ultimate cool guy gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    ...they tend to attract a lot of collectors/"snobs" (for lack of a better word, I don't mean offense to anyone. I just mean there's a lot of guys that by a clone MP5 and judge by weld patterns and finish sheen, yet barely ever shoot the thing).
    I might be the prime antagonist of those folks.

I was told on TOS that an "advanced collector" appreciates these things, as well as oddball configurations that HK never made (10mm-K) because they are made by "artisans" who have spent time honing their craft and technique and that these rare examples should not be compared to "mass production" by "third world illiterates."

Translation: "I have a boatload of money invested in junk, out of spec Todd Bailey parts cobbled together in some dude's garage on homemade jigs and tooling... and now that licensed production is readily available from multiple sources, it's all worth about a weeklong pass to Sizzler."

So are there any reputable hard use reviews on the MKE MP5 series?
    I haven't dropped mine down any elevator shafts, but I've got 5K+ through my full size and maybe 1200 through my K-gun. It's actually crazy how fast you get up there when it's like 300, 300, 400, 350...

The only thing that's choked them has been out of spec, junk Korean mags and Silver Bear 147gr (that also wouldn't cycle a G19).

They've both been flawless for a long time, suppressed and unsuppressed. (Disclaimer: I'm not a sufferer of "I don't clean my weapons" syndrome)

I know they are made on HK tooling, but how do they compare to the real HK's?
    HK hates you. POF and MKE love you.
    (That's really how they compare)

Also they're not just made on HK tooling, but from spec material, in an AQAP-2120 and ISO 9001 certified NATO weapons factory.

It's hard to weave through the reviews that are skewed based on politics (being they are made in Turkey), and the guys that buy guns more for looking at then using.
    You will find no greater opponent of Turkey/ISIS than me, but these guns are great.
    Last edited by KalashniKEV; 04-12-16 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Can you still find the MKE imported guns? The rifle version, not the pistol...I would love to have one to SBR as who doesn't want the ultimate cool guy gun.
    You may be thinking of the older run of MKE imported guns. Right now Zenith firearms is importing MKE's in a few different pistol configurations. They are supposed to be bringing in a 16" rifle version eventually, but it hasn't materialized yet. The pistol would be far easier to SBR since there is no barrel cutting and you won't have to worry about undoing any modifications they make to the rifle variants that limit them to 10 round mags.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
    You may be thinking of the older run of MKE imported guns. Right now Zenith firearms is importing MKE's in a few different pistol configurations. They are supposed to be bringing in a 16" rifle version eventually, but it hasn't materialized yet. The pistol would be far easier to SBR since there is no barrel cutting and you won't have to worry about undoing any modifications they make to the rifle variants that limit them to 10 round mags.
    Yes, must be thinking of the older ones. The older ones, per my understanding, were easier easier to sbr the rifle version.

Sounds opposite for the new ones.

Appreciate the info

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Yes, must be thinking of the older ones. The older ones, per my understanding, were easier easier to sbr the rifle version.
    There is no difference old/new.

Think RH-10/ Draco.

For the rifle, you have to open up the mag well and shorten the barrel.

For the pistol, all you have to do is add a stock.

In MP5s, there is no demand at all for the rifle... In AKs there is more demand for the rifle.

The AT-94P was a 16" pistol though, with no mag blocks. I know because I have one.

Feedback Score
    From TOS http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/448...___pg__3_.html:

Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
    We have quite a few MP5's being used on our full-auto range to include HK, AA, MKE, POF, Special Weapons and Coharie. To say that POF or MKE are of a lesser quality than the US-produced models is NOT what we experience. We've had more US-made bolt carriers crack than the others but the locking pieces and firing pins all last about the same amount of use/time.

We have HK's (and licensed POF/MKE's) with several hundred thousand rounds that need nothing more than barrel swaps when we can no longer get the proper bolt gap with over-sized rollers. This goes for the MKE's and POF's as well. The US-made receivers have cracked along the pinched area along the trunion where they are TIG welded from the factory. Also, the barrels last MUCH longer on the HK-licensed models.

If you are going to purchase one, US-made or not, stock up on extractor springs. Also, make sure to order the G3/.308 type because in OUR experience, they last longer.

V/R
    Ron
    Tens of thousands of rounds for use before any issues.

V/R
    Ron

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    From TOS
    This is plainly obvious.

Was anyone saying that out-of-spec, commercial American parts, hewn from literal garbage were GTG?

Next you're going to tell me that swordfish is healthier than hot dogs...

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast