PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Continuing with my Hornady CD 135gr trials...

Yup, I have 1 HK mag. 15rd from 1985 (IF date). Shot it today, loaded 15rds and 100%. Looking through my log, this 15rd only had an issue the first time I used it.

I am in Maryland, so I cannot just order a 30rd mag. I have a trip to AZ soon and had a few mags sent over to my buddies place that I will bring back with me. No HK mags though. There is a shop about 1 hour from here in VA, but they never have MP5 mags. I may ask them to special order a few for me.

My #3 Zenith today: From the slap, it would didn't load the top round, kinda like if you rode a charging handle, loaded the 28th round again, slap, and good. 4 shots and then a stoppage, but I think this one was an empty bouncing off my brass catcher... I am being optimistic!

KCI #4 today: 27 good rounds and coughed up the last round. This seems to be a theme for these KCI mags, even with HK springs/followers.

I do notice the feed lips scratching the brass pretty good. I am going to do some mag MX tonight, smoothing rough edges etc and even try to take a few apart.

I did get a mag loader and it works pretty well. Came with a sweet VHS tape as well!
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 10-21-17 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Got my Form 1 back, took some pics today:

PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Congrats on the SBR!

I would like a full size MP5/Z-5RS down the road. It would have to stay a pistol in Maryland but thats ok.

When I first got the Z-5P, the gap from the factory was 0.33mm. The first #28 LP I purchased was 0.60mm and required smaller rollers. I should have bought -4s but ended up with -2s and about 0.50mm gap. Should have been ok, but it did seem like it was flinging brass pretty far.

Long story short, I found another #28 LP that is 0.33mm gap with standard rollers. I have only fired 2 mags of Critical Duty and so far so good. I shot without the brass catcher and noticed the brass lands a little closer but is hell to find in the grass. I am hoping that I have slowed down the BCG enough that some of the marginal mags work better.

Spending too much money shooting these 135gr CDs but its nice that I have 2 mags that work well with it.

EDIT: Ok, I can stop posting in this thread about these damn flat points/hollow points. I am going to assume that swapping the locking piece, combined with a ~0.33mm Bolt Gap has helped. Today (5 Nov) I decided to load the short/flat nosed AE 147gr in my ATI/KCI mag. Loaded 28 and 100%.

I think that there is still something to be said about German mags (and Zenith as well). Even the ATI/KCI with German springs/followers has the top round in a different position relative to the HK/MKE mags I have. There must be some geometry difference at the top of the mag for the ATI/KCI.

Hopefully I can stay out of this thread until I hit 2000 rounds and report back.

EDIT Again: Talk about first world problems, I found another 3 mags that I bought a while back but put up. I shot the KCI and it has been 100% as well. The ATI marked mags have been problematic. Still plan to procure German made mags.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 11-19-17 at 13:00.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425