Thread: Velocity thresholds....

Feedback Score

Velocity thresholds....

Does anyone know the expansion velocity thresholds for Hornady 55 gr TAP, 75 grain tap, and 64 grain speer GD loads in .223/5.56? thanks...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brycewise View Post
    Does anyone know the expansion velocity thresholds for Hornady 55 gr TAP, 75 grain tap, and 64 grain speer GD loads in .223/5.56? thanks...
    55gr TAP is a VMAX bullet, unless you are talking about the TAP GMX, in which case that is listed as 2000fps, the 64gr GD is still performing down to around 15-1600fps, and I don't recall what the VMAX minimum expansion/fragmentation velocity is. Something in the mid teens, I would guess.

Feedback Score
    big game sp's, spitzer style, about 1800 fps, varmint bullets still frag at much lower speeds, maybe 1400. I'd never trust them for defensive use, tho. I"ve seen them just blow 1" wide and 2" deep "craters" in coyotes. That was 3000 fps, very close range (at night, electronic call) and 50 gr hornady SX, which are so fragile that they don't exit a chuck.
    Last edited by helluva; 05-11-16 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helluva View Post
    big game sp's, spitzer style, about 1800 fps, varmint bullets still frag at much lower speeds, maybe 1400. I'd never trust them for defensive use, tho. I"ve seen them just blow 1" wide and 2" deep "craters" in coyotes. That was 3000 fps, very close range (at night, electronic call) and 50 gr hornady SX, which are so fragile that they don't exit a chuck.
    Sadly I had a 50 grain SX not exit my SPR M4 can! Rotational velocity caused the bullet to self destruct. FYI damage was minimal, 3 small dents visible from the inside.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    55gr TAP is a VMAX bullet, unless you are talking about the TAP GMX, in which case that is listed as 2000fps, the 64gr GD is still performing down to around 15-1600fps, and I don't recall what the VMAX minimum expansion/fragmentation velocity is. Something in the mid teens, I would guess.
    I just saw that video of the 75gr Gold Dot expanding at 320 yards. I dont know what barrel length it was shot out of but full expansion at that range is pretty impressive since it was probably below 2000 fps.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I just saw that video of the 75gr Gold Dot expanding at 320 yards. I dont know what barrel length it was shot out of but full expansion at that range is pretty impressive since it was probably below 2000 fps.
    It was a 16 inch barrel, I think. I saw the same video. Cool guy, but he needs a better potato. I couldn't see much of the blurr...err...bullet