Thread: Neuroscience and Expert Gunfighters

Feedback Score

Neuroscience and Expert Gunfighters

Hey everyone just finished an article that covers some recent research done by force sciences inst. involving expert shooters and their visual behavior. They examined a phenomenon known as the quiet eye which has been well researched in professional sports and is now making it to the tactical arena. It turns out most experts quiet eye is significantly different than less skilled people. In the article it covers how this is relevant to shooters and how to train this. Full disclosure I wrote this article in the hopes that people would find it useful, but if the moderators want to take the link down feel free. I'd be interested everyone's thoughts as I know there are some experienced folks on this message board.
    http://www.tierthreetactical.com/dif...e-gunfighters/
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting read.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Force Sciences Institute puts out a lot of really interesting information for those of us limited to ranges and back fields.

For anyone interested in further reading or viewing on the subject, check out information regarding Quiet Eye techniques as they pertain to golf sports. Keeping weapons manipulations in mind, I think it can be very useful information for learning to control your concentration, focus and body.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    Damn interesting read, thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Very good article...Vision I think is something most people over look in their training.Take out the fundamentals of shooting a handgun, two people with the same skill set and one is faster, its due to them seeing things faster and transitioning focus faster. The dwell time with focal shift determines how fast your first and all follow up shots happen. There is a gentleman, Gabe White "Mr White" on pistol-forum.com that has written a great deal about vision and vision training that has helped me tremendously. I was blessed with great vision into my late 40's and now things are falling apart, but the Brock string training and using eye exercises from William H. Bates, things have gotten better. Some people call BS with the Bates Methods, to each his own, but I have had great results doing his eye exercises.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Marines had a "Combat Hunter" program specifically to try to heighten individual fighting and survival skills.

In a nut-shell, kids from a rural, outdoors background (hunters and anglers) and those from high-threat inner-city environs were much more attuned to their surroundings. Their heightened situational awareness and ability to quickly analyze and orient allowed them to avoid ambushes and IEDs at much higher rates than sheep going about their lives.

Too bad it seems that rape prevention, sexual harassment avoidance, and trans-sexual acceptance and equality training trump those types of programs in the Big Army.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting article. Did the veteran officers move while presenting their service pistol toward the threat or stand still? How about the rookies? How were the rookies trained, to move or remain stationary when a threat presented itself?

Most "experienced" veteran officers I know focus on the hands and areas on the body close to the hands from where a weapon can be retrieved. That tactic places your focus close to center of mass on the threat before the decision is made to present the service pistol. Is that part of what you are trying to relate in the article?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Interesting article. Did the veteran officers move while presenting their service pistol toward the threat or stand still? How about the rookies? How were the rookies trained, to move or remain stationary when a threat presented itself?

Most "experienced" veteran officers I know focus on the hands and areas on the body close to the hands from where a weapon can be retrieved. That tactic places your focus close to center of mass on the threat before the decision is made to present the service pistol. Is that part of what you are trying to relate in the article?
    I have heard of a "game" some of LEO play and was told to play with my children. The Game (general jest of it) while in public try and count all the people with glasses and watches, and try and determine people's mood/what thinking. The thought process (as relayed to me) was to get you to watch people's hands and eyes. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with it or other games, prob have better explanation.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    The veteran officer didn't move that I know of but think they were instructed not to as that could modify their experiment. Glad you liked it thanks.
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical