Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    ^Doesn't always work. Slide velocity still too fast in some guns.

On a 10mm 1911, you can change a couple more things:

oversized firing pin stop with small hammer cocking radius
    xtra power hammer spring
    recoil spring

On a glock you're pretty much stuck with relying on the recoil spring alone to slow slide velocity.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 05-07-16 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post

xtra power hammer spring
    recoil spring

On a glock you're pretty much stuck with relying on the recoil alone to slow slide velocity.
    Never had any issuses with 200gr. WFNGC moving at 1,250 fps. YMMV.

I really don't understand why everyone is trying to convince everyone else that they need to change handguns. Both camps: magnum revolvers and 10mm semiautomatic pistols have pros and cons.

I have both, a 454 Casull and a G20SF. If I could only have 1 shot, I would definitely choose the 454. If I'm coming back to my kill site to carry out another quarter, I'd rather have my 454. If I'm in my sleeping bag with a Brown/Grizzly chewing on my leg..... I'd rather have my G20 (less flash at night, better in close).

Where in live and hunt, coyotes, wolves, cougars and 2 legged meth cooks are bigger threats. I carry my G20 almost exclusively for those reasons.

In brown bear country, I would much rather have a shotgun with Benneke slugs.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In dangerous game hunting, a rifle for stopping wounded game is often bigger than the one used for most hunting situations, 416 and up vs. 375 H&H minimum for example.

I wouldnt use a 10mm for hunting brown bear, why would I use it for stopping a charge?

Can glock 20's even reliably cycle those bear rounds? I have read of some malfunctioning with upper end 10mm loads.

Will the test include this ammo?

Hot loads and the flatnose shape are two factors against reliable feeding.

Glock 20's grip is too wide/big for my hands anyway. Even the gen4 and short frame versions. my support hand seperates in rapid fire.

Sold my G20 SF for this reason.
    I don't know about cycling, but I do know you need an aftermarket barrel to be accurate with those heavy 10mm hardcast loads in a Glock.
    Last edited by kirkland; 05-07-16 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    Never had any issuses with 200gr. WFNGC moving at 1,250 fps. YMMV.

I really don't understand why everyone is trying to convince everyone else that they need to change handguns. Both camps: magnum revolvers and 10mm semiautomatic pistols have pros and cons.

I have both, a 454 Casull and a G20SF. If I could only have 1 shot, I would definitely choose the 454. If I'm coming back to my kill site to carry out another quarter, I'd rather have my 454. If I'm in my sleeping bag with a Brown/Grizzly chewing on my leg..... I'd rather have my G20 (less flash at night, better in close).

Where in live and hunt, coyotes, wolves, cougars and 2 legged meth cooks are bigger threats. I carry my G20 almost exclusively for those reasons.

In brown bear country, I would much rather have a shotgun with Benneke slugs.
    Well said, no Brownies where I live, just cougars, black bears, wolves and people to worry about. I'll stick with my Smith and Wesson 1066. If I was in Alaska, then I'd have the Remington 870 loaded up with slugs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I don't know about cycling, but I do know you need an aftermarket barrel to be accurate with those heavy 10mm hardcast loads in a Glock.
    Even more important to prevent case ruptures. The factory Glock barrel has really poor case wall support. I have a KKM in mine.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Actually not true. Hard cast lead does fine its soft swadged bullets like in some factory ammo that causes issues. I have shot hard cast lead in Glock barrels with no issue. This is even more so when you are using hard cast lead bullets with gas checks.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

xtra power hammer spring
    recoil spring

On a glock you're pretty much stuck with relying on the recoil spring alone to slow slide velocity.
    You slow slide velocity in a Glock the same way you do in any other auto pistol like a 1911 you use heavier recoil springs. There are only two things that slow slide velocity mass and spring tensions.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-07-16 at 14:50.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    In dangerous game hunting, a rifle for stopping wounded game is often bigger than the one used for most hunting situations, 416 and up vs. 375 H&H minimum for example.

I wouldnt use a 10mm for hunting brown bear, why would I use it for stopping a charge?

Can glock 20's even reliably cycle those bear rounds? I have read of some malfunctioning with upper end 10mm loads.

Will the test include this ammo?

Hot loads and the flatnose shape are two factors against reliable feeding.

Glock 20's grip is too wide/big for my hands anyway. Even the gen4 and short frame versions. my support hand seperates in rapid fire.

Sold my G20 SF for this reason.
    I would not take a pistol to a gun fight by choice but I still carry one. The example is the same. What you need in a hunting side arm is very different than what you need in a defensive firearm. When you are hunting your gun is generally out in your hands. Your often in a tree stand. You see the animal before he sees you if your good and you can place a better shot. When you are hiking in the woods and get charged you have none of these advantages. You need a firearm you can shoot fast from the holster. You will likely have to make multiple follow up shots. Apples to Oranges.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    There are only two things that slow slide velocity mass and spring tensions.
    Pat
    lol. okay.

Have fun with your 10mm's.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    lol. okay.

Have fun with your 10mm's.
    I will and with my .454 and my 44 etc. You have fun as well. Point still holes however you can only lower slide velocity by either making the slide heavier or increasing the strength of the recoil springs.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-07-16 at 16:28.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast