Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4556 View Post
    I still laugh when people think that when they are in serious bear country that carrying only a handgun is a great idea. But, hey, it's your life, do what you want.
    The handgun is in addition to a long gun. I made that pretty clear in my post. I can keep a handgun on me. If I set down my pack/rifle/shotgun then the handgun may get pressed into service. Nobody in this thread that I've seen suggested carrying only a handgun.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    Out of curiosity, would a bear spear help (Like a boar spear but longer) on top of a long arm or pistol/revolver of sufficient caliber?
    Bears are considerably larger and stronger than boar. I would imagine the bear using the spear to turn the person into a shish kabob.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can someone who is able to translate tell us why the one guy is crying and shaking?
    I had my wife try, but between the French-Canadian dialect, and having learned it in Africa ... She was pretty useless. Sorry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I had my wife try, but between the French-Canadian dialect, and having learned it in Africa ... She was pretty useless. Sorry.
    Thanks anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I missed this thread and spent dinner getting caught up. I live in Alaska for some time but have never had the pleasure of being charged. I'm temporarily outside for a year taking care of some stuff and plan to return this winter. With that, I think there is 2 schools of thought about this. The average joe in the midwest, south or eastern U.S. were one may occassionally see a beer and folks who live in beer country. If I'm banging about the woods, I feel a g20 is sufficient because it'll be a chance encounter, not planned. Heavy hard cast will deliver the penatration without being burdened by a howiter (the 380 acp or 38 spec get outta trouble gun). If hunting or hitting out into the back country, then yea, alittle something more. Hunting in Alaska, definetly. Downing a moose is ringing the dinner bell. The 44s are nice, had 2 now down to one. The 329 was great, light packable and I was proficient with it but it spent more time @ S&W or enroutemto and fro than on my hip. It is not a high round count gun and expect service intervals between 3z500 rounds to replace the SS blast shield on the top strap.

The key what ever and where ever you are is situational awareness. It's tough to gain the advantage in a close unexpected encounter especially when they are tapping you on the shoulder wanting to play. A S&W X Frame on the 4 wheeler is no use but a g20 on the hip is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    I missed this thread and spent dinner getting caught up. I live in Alaska for some time but have never had the pleasure of being charged. I'm temporarily outside for a year taking care of some stuff and plan to return this winter. With that, I think there is 2 schools of thought about this. The average joe in the midwest, south or eastern U.S. were one may occassionally see a beer and folks who live in beer country. If I'm banging about the woods, I feel a g20 is sufficient because it'll be a chance encounter, not planned. Heavy hard cast will deliver the penatration without being burdened by a howiter (the 380 acp or 38 spec get outta trouble gun). If hunting or hitting out into the back country, then yea, alittle something more. Hunting in Alaska, definetly. Downing a moose is ringing the dinner bell. The 44s are nice, had 2 now down to one. The 329 was great, light packable and I was proficient with it but it spent more time @ S&W or enroutemto and fro than on my hip. It is not a high round count gun and expect service intervals between 3z500 rounds to replace the SS blast shield on the top strap.

The key what ever and where ever you are is situational awareness. It's tough to gain the advantage in a close unexpected encounter especially when they are tapping you on the shoulder wanting to play. A S&W X Frame on the 4 wheeler is no use but a g20 on the hip is.
    Good post. And it was fun to hear the reference "temporarily outside" ("outside" = 'not in Alaska'). Had not heard that saying much since leaving Fairbanks in 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I still laugh when folks recommend a long gun in this discussion. Nobody has suggested handguns are better as an option. But the discussion is about what caliber handgun is appropriate for bear defense. For those times when you (for whatever reason) cannot get to a long gun. It would be like a person asking which handgun they should carry concealed and folks recommending high powered rifles and shotguns. Lol!
    No doubt. Sometimes seems like lots of folks subscribe to the "pistol to fight my way to the rifle" concept (whether they have said rifle nearby and ready or not) for downtown Big City USA but not camping or hiking in the middle of Boonieville.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    300 win mag - Grizzly charge - Montana last week.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/11/27...rging-grizzly/

video right first 2 seconds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    No doubt. Sometimes seems like lots of folks subscribe to the "pistol to fight my way to the rifle" concept (whether they have said rifle nearby and ready or not) for downtown Big City USA but not camping or hiking in the middle of Boonieville.

This reminds of the "camp carbine" concept that seemed popular 30-40 years ago but seems to have gone the way of the dodo. I believe this was a Marlin and resembled somewhat the model 60 .22lr but with a magazine feed. As I recall it was offered in several handgun calibers from 9mm up to .44 mag.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I live, work, and hunt in grizzly country. When hiking on duty, I carry a 12-gauge SBS loaded with 1 oz. slugs (the best authorized option). When hiking or hunting on personal time, I almost always carry my 5" .500 S&W. I have a few medium to large caliber rifles I'll carry singly, on occasion, and I'm customizing a Ruger Super RedHawk in .45 Colt as a lighter weight option.

Large, heavy-for-caliber nonexpanding bullets at moderate to high velocity have been a proven formula in stopping large, dangerous game attacks for quite some time. IMO, muzzle energy is too dependent on velocity and is very overrated. A formula I have seen in print many times from experienced individuals is 4-3-1. Minimum caliber- .40, minimum bullet weight - 300 gr, minimum velocity- 1000 fps. I agree that this is a sensible minimum but feel that the 10mm and .41 Magnum, when appropriately loaded, should at least receive honorable mention (they can't quite make the minimum weight AFAIK).

To Alaskapopo's point, I know several individuals who carry 10mm Glocks precisely due ease of follow-ups and better shot placement. Some are also very experienced with semi-auto platforms and aren't comfortable with a weapon (revolver) to which they are not accustomed. I can't say I disagree with any of that.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast