Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSA's 9mm AR that takes Glock mags (yes or no?)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one with a 16 inch barrel, it has run 100%. I plan to shoot it in USPSA PCC division. I am thinking of doing a SBR stamp for it.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Howdy all !

Its been a while but I finally have the time (Retired) to get back to my favorite forums and start contributing!

So on this topic I first must start but saying that I have found that PSA quality is a hit or miss gamble which I take to save a few dollars here and there, that said I do own several builds which are constructed with PSA branded items including a 9mm PSA Glock lower build. A few weeks back PSA was running a sale offering a PSA Branded 9mm Complete Glock style Magazine lower with EPT Trigger and a ACS-L stock Item#- 7791418. Now one of the first things I have noticed is that this item and others like it had a very small sample of owner reviews even tho the item has been out for sale for some time. Now when this happens in my experience it seems that PSA selects what owner reviews potential customers will see on there website, but sometimes when a number of negative reviews happen to slip in PSA will quickly change the item number by a digit and relist the item with zero reviews. With this in mind and being very skeptical about the lower I struggled back and forth about the purchase until the wife made it one of my retirement gifts.

So moving along I received the item at my FFL which was well packaged and on time, I did a quick inspection as my FFL was very crowded that day and found that the trigger dropped, safety worked and all other details appeared as it should so rushed I completed the paperwork and took my baby home. Here is were I started to find that PSA quality I was speaking about, first it arrived with a standard AR carbine buffer and a very weak action spring which while technically able to cycle the carbine 9mm action it would also allow the bolt and buffer to batter the gun do to increased action speeds. Now just to back up a minute or so I did call PSA prior to my order being placed and asked what buffer and spring was included with the purchase and the reply was a 9mm steel buffer weighing 5.5 ounces and a .308 carbine action spring with a 7075T6 buffer tube. The fore mentioned was only the beginning of my problems as I also found that the mag well was incorrectly cut and even Glock 33rd stick magazine had issue (Tightness) when being seated. So now I either had to battle it out with PSA or just fix the issues myself, so being cheap the first thing I did was to contact PSA twice asking them to exchange the buffer and spring for the correct version which they agreed to but never mailed them twice! The mag well was a easy fix on my part with some very light grinding and buffing on the rear spine inside the mag well and now the Glock magazines all 50 of them side in and out with just a hair of fiction as they should.

So I ended up buying a standard 9mm steel buffer and a KVP XP PCC .308 rated action spring and since the 9mm buffer is the same size as a carbine buffer I went with a New Frontier blow back buffer spacer to remove that extra over travel a 9mm system has (9mm is shorter then a .223) so there is more rearward travel by the buffer and bolt which can cause issues.

The rest of my parts are as follows,
    Kaw Valley Precision 9MM Barrel, 4150 CMV Steel, QPQ Salt Bath Nitride finish
    Spinta Precision 9mm bolt carrier group assembly, Ramped, QPQ Salt Bath Nitride finish
    Anderson arms M4 Upper receiver
    PSA Dust cover
    Forward assist plug
    13.5 inch Matrix Arms 5.56 Charlie Key Mod Handguard
    9mm A-1 style Flash hider
    PSA Charging handle

Now the Spinta Precision 9mm bolt carrier group weighs 20.5 ozs and the 9mm's steel buffer is another 5.5 oz's for a total of 26.0 ounces. So when you add in the KVP XP PCC .308 rated action spring and over travel plug the whole system purr's like a kitten! I can shoot standard pressure 9mm 115gr FMJ with 100% function all the way up to 9mm +P+ without excessive bolt speed or battering. I have just under $600.00 into a complete 9mm Glock magazine AR carbine which shoots accurately with 100% reliability but it did take a bit of repair and part matching to make her into the gun she is today.

Now I also would like to give a shout out to Kaw Valley Precision for the 9mm barrel and Spinta Precision with the 9mm bolt as these are the nicest, low cost 9mm items I have found anywhere on the net, the quality and workmanship is just out standing on both items and i would highly recommend to a 9mm AR builder to consider them.

Pictures to come.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-01-16 at 17:23.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    I went with the ATI Mil-Sport 9mm Glock in both; rifle and pistol, and haven't looked back. They have worked flawlessly so far and I have no regrets. I did add a light/laser combo, a skeletonized angled foregrip, front and rear MBUS sights, a Vortex Venom Red dot and a Law Tactical folding stock to both. My plan is to eventually swap the upper with the New Frontier one with the LRBHO, so I can get that feature, but I'm in no hurry as I'm happy with the current setup.

Feedback Score
    Just did a build with the help of the New Frontier store staff !!! Luv it !!! I have a Kel-Sub 2000 Gen 2 and the Scorpion Evo Carbine ... All in 9mm ... They are very fun to shoot ... So far no issues with any of them ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've looked at that and the QC10 / DDLES lower and a bunch of them. I think I'll keep waiting until one comes out that I must have. My next builds are a precision 338 Lapua and pistol blaster 7.5" in 5.56 just for shits and gigs. We'll see what happens after that.

HT
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I bought a complete PSA 16" upper, as well as one of their Colt and Glock mag lowers to try out. My purpose was as a rifle that I could practice with at the range with cheaper ammo, as well as be able to shoot steel targets up closer. I initially wanted to colt lower, due to the working BHO, but Palmetto had a Glock lower on sale plus free shipping, so I figured it was worth it to give both a try (I have loads of glock mags, so that would be cheaper in the long run), and pick my favorite.

Initial range sessions did not go well at all, with either lower. With both lowers I was getting failures to feed and extract, leading to some pretty nasty malfunctions. I was not too happy after buying all parts complete right from PSA. I tried enough ammo and mag combinations that I was fairly confident that it was the gun. I e-mailed Palmetto the details, as well as some pictures, and began to wait. It took a few days, but I did get a return e-mail with an RMA to ship everything back to them. The e-mail stated I should expect 10-15 business days to get the gun back. It did take about 3 weeks, but the upper and glock lower showed up, with the colt lower following a few days later. I don't know what they did, but the gun runs perfectly now, with every sort of ammo I have put in it. The only malfunction I have had in about 500 rounds so far was when a friend accidentally loaded up some in 40 glock mags, which led to FTF. After using the right mags, no issues again.

My goal with this gun was a basic 9mm AR that I could use for range practice, that had more recoil than a .22 like the M&P 15-22, and I am happy. Obviously it is inconvenient to have to ship a gun back, but I am 100% satisfied with how PSA handled the situation, and I was out no money for shipping or repairs. Looking back, for the money I am into the rifle, and for it's intended use, I would spend the money again and go with PSA.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. I just put one together from a PSA Glock mag stripped lower, and one of their 10" uppers. I wanted a fun plinker that I could shoot cheaper than .223 or 300 BLK, and something my wife could use for home defense with Federal HST 147s. I just finished it and haven't shot it yet, but I should be able to get it out soon and post a report.

Attachment 41444

Feedback Score
    Anyone know the last time Psa had the 9mm uppers in stock ? Everything is out of stock

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have to check daily, they sell out fast.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    Pictures to come.
    Have you gotten around to taking any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Good to know. I just put one together from a PSA Glock mag stripped lower, and one of their 10" uppers. I wanted a fun plinker that I could shoot cheaper than .223 or 300 BLK, and something my wife could use for home defense with Federal HST 147s. I just finished it and haven't shot it yet, but I should be able to get it out soon and post a report.

Attachment 41444
    Have you taken this out and put rounds down range yet? Was wondering how the setup ran?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast