Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good AR armorers tool?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    As someone that doesn't work on his rifles too terrible much, I went with the Tapco armorers wrench and the wheeler clam shell and insert. I've used them a few times without any issues, and hopefully they'll continue to last.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Buy the Magpul armorers tools. They are GTG.

C4
    100%. Doesn't slip like a Tapco. You can find it less than $80 if you look around, but you should reward your favorite vendor with your business. Didn't know what I was missing til I finally got a Magpul wrench and it performed better than others I had used. A wrench is not just a wrench.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    We just had a couple threads on this:
    Wrench and vise block
    Armorer's wrench

Bottom line, MagPul

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I started swapping barrels and building rifles a bit more often than I though I would so I broke down and bought the reaction rod. That thing is fantastic but it isn't cheap... If you work on one enough it's well worth it. I really like being able to torque down on the barrel nut and muzzle devices without the fear of possibly damaging something. Not to mention, when you want to work on the bottom of the barrel, like installing a gas block or doing a pin and weld, it as simple as twisting it around and locking it back into the lugs. Great investment if you plan to build or disassemble ARs enough. Before this I had a clam shell, it was ok but I took a chance on the reaction rod and I really like so so so much better.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    When I started, I used some "no-name" brand Armorer's wrench. I became an Armorer, and found myself doing barrel changes frequently, and the cheap no-name brand one started to bend open slightly, and as a result would slip on the teeth of the barrel nut.

After a ton of research online, the Magpul wrench had just come out, and people were happy. I went with the whole "buy once, cry once" theory, and bought the Magpul Armorer's wrench. I have been 100% happy with it. I use it with a breaker bar to loosen tight barrel nuts, and a torque wrench to tighten. It is robust and awesome.

I use a separate simple wrench for castle nuts also FWIW.
    - Firearms Instructor - M16/M4/AR15 Certified Armorer - Certified Glock Armorer -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As an instructor for a very large County Sheriff's Dept., we are constantly working on rifles. We have several armorer's tools. The MagPul is absolutely the one I always reach for. Works excellent, never slips. Definitely a bit more expensive, but when I'm working on someone else's gun, I don't want to risk it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    For most all general applications, the Magpul wrench beats everything hands down. I use a variety of tools for the job, it depends on how sideways things go.

1. Magpul Armorer Wrench
    2. Geissele Reaction Block
    3. PRI Barrel Nut Wrench
    4. Geissele Reaction Rod

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    For most all general applications, the Magpul wrench beats everything hands down. I use a variety of tools for the job, it depends on how sideways things go.

1. Magpul Armorer Wrench
    2. Geissele Reaction Block
    3. PRI Barrel Nut Wrench
    4. Geissele Reaction Rod
    Can you give an example when would you use the PRI over the Magpul?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Markm tested the magpul out extensively. It opened every bud light without issue. this is confirmed as I eye witnessed it.
    Magpul No Compromise
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Agree that Magpul is one of the best options out there. I had a couple of nuts that none of the cheapie Amazon wrenches would fit. I had success with the Wheeler combo armorer's wrench and was able to remove and replace my gas block and muzzle device without reaching for another tool. Either way, please avoid the NCSTar and UTC crap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast