Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DD Mk18 Advice

Feedback Score
    20150629_184517.jpg

MK18 is over gassed. It's not that bad though. I ran a DD MK18 with a H2 buffer, SF brake, and SF 556RC with great reliability. Ejection pattern was approximately 2:30. Gas in the face was very minimal and not really noticeable, even under rapid fire. That was with a BCM charging handle with no mods. I credit the can for the minimal blow back. I sold the upper but if I were to keep it, I would have purchased a Micro MOA Govnah adjustable gas block made specifically for the DD MK18. I never planned shooting this setup without the can so a brake was a no brainer.
    Last edited by wakebrdr142; 04-24-16 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    The Mk18 is reportedly overgassed out of the box. I've had about as many customers complain of issues as I've had those that say it runs perfect. It's generally not a good idea to run a SBR suppressed with just an H buffer unless its gas port is significantly undersized (which DD's is not). I'd look into an H3 if you're trying to avoid swapping out major components, or better yet a VLTOR A5 extension with an adjustable gas block.
    This right here. Owned a Mk18 for a couple years now. Been running it suppressed for just about as long. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of how over gassed it comes from the factory. Swap the buffer and you're good to go. Or better yet, swap the gas block for a Noveske switchblock or a seekins precision.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    This right here. Owned a Mk18 for a couple years now. Been running it suppressed for just about as long. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of how over gassed it comes from the factory. Swap the buffer and you're good to go. Or better yet, swap the gas block for a Noveske switchblock or a seekins precision.
    Does the Noveske SB fit under the DD RIS II?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why do so many folks say it's over gassed? If you can run it as shipped and it still runs. Or you can buy a can and simply add an h2 or h3 and it runs like a top. Seems like a popular thing to say, but the post above indicate it's pretty spot on. If you run a can, yes you may get a little gas in your face, but mine is minimal at best.

Not trying to start a fight, but I challenge the concept. I've run a bushmaster that was over gassed. And I needed a gas mask to run it and I was outside. But non of my guns have ever been close to this. I think the lines have been blurred.

If you buy a new 10.5 , 11.5 SBR from Colt, DD, LMT, NOVESKE and it runs fine with or without a can. Don't assume your gun is messed up. Just go shoot the piss out of it. You may be fixing what's not broken. Sure add an h2 if you want. Bla bla bla. All the best guys.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Get the SureFire can with a Warcomp and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a DD MK18 and I can agree with the quote above. I run a SF Brake on mine, but purchased mine before the warcomp came out. Shooting with a brake is fine for the shooter, but you will annoy some people on the range (indoor). I got away with it by letting others try it out. The main reason I went with the brake was the sacrificial baffle thing, and the fact that it does reduce muzzle rise and recoil were added benefits.

My MK18 runs great suppressed or not. My brass ejects at 1-2 o'clock suppressed and at 3 o'clock unsuppressed. I'm looking into getting an adjustable gasblock for it, specifically the "Govnah". I may have to get one for all of my AR's (DD V5 and an SBR build with a bcm barrel). They all send brass forwards suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Why do so many folks say it's over gassed? If you can run it as shipped and it still runs. Or you can buy a can and simply add an h2 or h3 and it runs like a top. Seems like a popular thing to say, but the post above indicate it's pretty spot on. If you run a can, yes you may get a little gas in your face, but mine is minimal at best.

Not trying to start a fight, but I challenge the concept. I've run a bushmaster that was over gassed. And I needed a gas mask to run it and I was outside. But non of my guns have ever been close to this. I think the lines have been blurred.

If you buy a new 10.5 , 11.5 SBR from Colt, DD, LMT, NOVESKE and it runs fine with or without a can. Don't assume your gun is messed up. Just go shoot the piss out of it. You may be fixing what's not broken. Sure add an h2 if you want. Bla bla bla. All the best guys.

PB
    Sorry, I didn't get to this post before my last but I agree with you as well. I've had ZERO problems running my MK18 suppressed or not with all types of ammo. I have a problem trying to "make things better" otherwise known as fixing what ain't broke. LOL

Feedback Score
    Good advice so far. I'm confident you will enjoy the shorty.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, thank you all for the advice. It is very helpful. I'll probably be taking a combination of ideas. Still looking up prices to determine what route I'm gonna go. If anyone has a black RIS II rail they wanna trade for the Mil-Spec color let me know, maybe we can workout a deal.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer514 View Post
    Hey guys, thank you all for the advice. It is very helpful. I'll probably be taking a combination of ideas. Still looking up prices to determine what route I'm gonna go. If anyone has a black RIS II rail they wanna trade for the Mil-Spec color let me know, maybe we can workout a deal.

Sell the fde outright?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Find the handguard, install on a LMT upper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast