Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever see this on a firing pin before?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Anyone ever see this on a firing pin before?

I recently bought an upper from a member here that says there are about 200 rounds on the upper. Noticed that there is a ring on the firing pin from where it's contacting the back of the bolt. It's about a millimeter deep.

I looked at my 2 other BCGs that have many, many more rounds on them and don't show that.

I don't ever remember seeing that when I was on active duty and those rifles had a ton more rounds.

What do you guys think? Problem or no?

Something else I noticed is that the bolt face is almost completely silver. The other 2 bolts don't show this at all. I don't know of that's something unique to SS barrels, I've never had one before.

Feedback Score

My bcg's get some carbon on the firing pin I wouldn't worry about that

As for the bolt finish, tough to tell my colt is pretty worn like that but my bcm isn't. Shouldn't have anything to do with the type of barrel

How worn is the finish where it rides on the upper?

Pop off the extractor and see how it looks, 200rnds wouldn't put much carbon in there

What brand Bcg is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boombotz401; 04-23-16 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That's not carbon it's etched into the firing pin.
    It's a BCM BCG In a BCM upper

Feedback Score

I'd give it a good cleaning and repost some new pics, tough to tell from those, looks like more than 200rnds to me though

I was cleaning mine anyway, here's my bcm with about 2k through it

Last edited by boombotz401; 04-23-16 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That's as clean as it gets. Just has some oil on it.

My other BCM BCGs look similar to yours.
    Last edited by Jaysop; 04-23-16 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at this

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=255

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Interesting post. I compared it to my high mileage bolt and it's got more wear on it. Shitty situation

Feedback Score
    Did you test the gas rings?

At minimum I'd rebuild the bolt since it's an unknown round count

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    As I stated in the PM about the issue, the upper was purchased on a COMPLETE gun from me 4 months ago. The buyer brought it, 2 other AR's and 100 rounds of the 500 round case that he bought back to me to try and sell back so he could pay for his bankruptcy. The guy did not have the money nor means to buy more ammo than the 500 rounds. His cards were repeatedly declined over the month after he bought the rifles and ammo. I was going to keep the gun for personal use. I put roughly 200 more rounds over the 30 I know for a fact the original buyer fired thru it, all FGMM 77gr ammo. I've known the original buyer for over 2 decades, we met in 3rd grade and have been friends since so I had no reason to take his word on how much he shot it with a grain of salt (stated he only shot the one mag thru it the one evening at my house and it had been in the safe since). I guess when he brought it back I assumed the rest of the ammo that was in the 500 round case was shot through the other 2 AR's as they were noticeably more used.

I'll take the blame as I did not "deep" inspect the gun when it came back. I had swapped the BCM Mod 0 comp to a BC 51.0 and all of the 200 rounds I shot thru it were suppressed via M4-2000. That could be the reason for the extra grit and wear.

Now that I've stated the facts we can move on with what I offered to do. Ship you a new firing pin and I'll put some cash in the package with it since its more gritty than I realized. Hows $50 sound. You still saved yourself over $100 initially and will now up it to over $150 for an upper that is really not used much, just suppressed.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I wasn't calling you out or inferring that I was being ripped off. My original post wasn't about round count and more about thinking it was a defect from the manufacturer. I didn't put your name in the post because I don't feel like you did anything maliciously.
    I appreciate you making it right, we can take our solution back to pms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast