Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Pretty sure I've mentioned this pistol prior to this thread but my example of one, Colt .38 Super Auto has been very reliable with nearly zero maintenance other than oil/grease. Two 2000 round tests with no lube/cleaning in the past few years. Currently it is running with lube only since it's last cleaning 12/17. It is quite dirty and a guess at it's round count is 2000+, no issues. I load my own .38 SA and I load for reliability. I don't use it every time I use a handgun and my current competitive/training emphasis is 2 gun competition. So my AR15 is getting all the attention right now. I did use it in a rain start to finish 2 gun match where both weapons performed flawlessly and required only drying out a little more lube.
    How much did your's cost? The quote on mine was 4000.00 sans optic.

The .45 I shoot most now, a Kimber, (hiss boo!) will go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings and aside from recoil springs and grips nothing has been done to it - I shoot matallic sight in Action Pistol with it.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-09-19 at 18:43.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    For me, something like the S-A TRP Operator. Built to carry and shoot, while not "needing" any work right out of the box. I just got my second one. Someday when I retire, I may get a Wilson, GC or a Nighthawk, but I don't mind if my TRP gets dirty or a small scratch on it. I just bought #2. This one in .45.

No, they are not as trouble free nor as reliable as the new "disposable" plastic guns are, but I own plastic guns too. Plastic guns might be almost flawless, but they have no soul. They have their place too. There's just something about an all metal, finely crafted gun. A 1911 takes that to another level.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kimber is supposed to suck but mine just goes. Had it at least 16 years. Carried it on duty for a while until The Man™ got uptight about some dude toting a cocked and locked 1911 around the hood (and I quote) "like this is Vietnam or something!" And for a couple years I took a break from recreational shooting and put it up uncleaned with carbon on it and just wrapped it in an oily rag and put it up untouched for literally two years. During The Great Ammo Famine, I ran nothing but TulAmmo through it with no issues. Even a box of Soviet ammo they were too lazy to repack that still had cyrillic I got off AIM iirc.

It started off with the external extractor but I got Kimber to convert it to internal c. 2008ish. I also replaced a lotta MIM parts and....its never once given me a problem. Initially it was fussy until I DXed the FLGR for a GI and since then it has been stupidly, Glock reliable.

People get put off by the Swartz safety but then go on about Sig and S&W 1911s which use.....Swartz Safety.

I want to say Series 70 masterrace but after seeing a demo of how they can have an oopsie if dropped it made me leery despite having a better trigger. Series 80 guns are good but none I ever messed with (and to be fair these are other peooles guns) feel as good as tge Kimber. My only 80 gun is a Delta Elite I have I occasionally take pigging and...again it just feels 'grittier'. I didn't even pay a premium for the Kimber. I got it at slightly above dealer price from a local FFL guy who kinda helped out baby popos. Like pretty cheap for the time. No issues. Still pretty accurate.
    I daydream about getting a Dan Wesson or a Colt Combat whatever but then I think....gee....what does it do that Kimber don't. Now....I am aware Kimber got Cohen'd a while back but I guess I got a good one because I really, really have not babied it. I know 'Kimber Folk' who are super boomer and gave their guns sopping and keep them in fancy cases and never deign dry fire them and are ammo picky and I've taken mine innawoods, dropped it, had it bounce around a trunk when I hadnt known it escaped my ruck(unloaded, duh), and it shoots.

I literally can do nothing but shrug when people dog Kimber. I dunno if I would tell people to run out and buy one but mine works pretty good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    How much did your's cost? The quote on mine was 4000.00 sans optic.

The .45 I shoot most now, a Kimber, (hiss boo!) will go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings and aside from recoil springs and grips nothing has been done to it - I shoot matallic sight in Action Pistol with it.
    Sorry I did not specify. I bought it as a new stock series 80 Colt in late 2012. So around $800.00 if I recall correctly. Modifications: polish feed ramp and breach face, modest opening of throat [I had a very conservative 'smith do it]. 10-8 NM rear sight [the one that fits the stock dovetail], dovetail FO front sight, Dawson "IDPA length" mag release, Harrison heavy duty tactical thumb safety, Wilson #15 flatwire recoil spring, VZ golfball grips, Cerocote finish and lots 'o ammo.. IMO the combination of the slightly heavier than standard recoil spring, stock mainspring, polish and ammo loaded not for light recoil but for enough push [124 gr. @ 1200+fps] to reliably cycle the slide through the gunk is the secret to my 1911's reliability. Good mags too, Wilson and Tripp are my favorites.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678