Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vpetrell View Post
    That's a good point. I am starting to do my research and am finding the back pressure to be a key component to my purchase.

How does the rc2 do on the shorter barrel?

Can you copy that link for me?

I'm sure there is a can out there that will work great on my sbr and full size. Just need to find it!

Thanks

VP
    I must have added the link while you were typing your response haha, here it is again: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Socom-556-RC2

As for how it does on the shorter barrel in depends on what you mean. If you mean sound reduction then I would say that it is just as good as pretty much any other can out there. Which essentially means that there shouldn't be any permanent hearing damage if you had to use your rifle for self defense or for some hunting, but if you were shooting for fun or practice then you should use hearing protection. If you mean durability wise then I think Garin from SureFire answered that question in another area of the Internet:

Originally Posted By Kudu22:
    "I know we have never had a SOCOM series can in where the baffles failed or collapsed. Can you run a can to a failure? Absolutely. We do a lot of destructive testing. Recently we actually melted a new Mk18 barrel before the we could get the new SOCOM2 RC can to fail. I mean we melted the barrel to the point molten pieces of the barrel were flying out of the suppressor and finally the barrel above the chamber swelled and split. The insides look charcoal. We were on mag 14 when it happened. I want to state that please do not do this stuff with your suppressor. It will tear your gun up and the can.

The new SOCOM2 series have new computer controlled welding that has lab tests that are over 200% stronger. Doing this welding allows us to not apply as much heat thus keeping the core straighter and faster to build and less time on the EDM machines to do the bore. It is a win, win, win."

I didn't buy a SF silencer because they won the SOCOM contract, but some of the testing that they did in pursuit of that contract did weigh into my decision. It might be out there somewhere, but in my search I couldn't find where any other manufacturer's product had been tested to that extent.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'd consider back pressure and blow back to your face as well, especially if you shoot lefty. I have a 11.5" barrel with a Saker, and if shooting rapidly the gas begins to burn my eyes and blurs the target. Wind, and movement prevents it, however, it is something to consider.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Note that if you are setting up a dedicated suppressor host, and will be sizing/locating the gas port accordingly, back pressure can be your friend. For instance, the 11.5" middy barrels.

If you want to have good function and little gas to the face with and without the can on, then back pressure is no bueno. This is another area where .30-cal cans on 5.56 guns shine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea this is all new information to me. I haven't ever shot suppressed but want to educate myself as much as possible before I make a purchase.

I think back pressure will be my main issue on the 10.5 so I may have to do some tweaking of the gas block. Maybe.

Or I can get the Griffin Armament M4SD-II and not worry about it!

Who knows. I'm glad I decided to take the plunge down this path. I have a lot to learn about shooting suppressed in a short time.

And I'm not trying to break the bank. So if there are any cans out that meet your needs with out killing a wallet that works too. Is like to keep it around 700 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have their Recce 7 mod 3 and I like it quite a bit. I prefer the taper mount over the QD myself. I'd look into a 762 series can you can kill more than one bird.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Or I can get the Griffin Armament M4SD-II and not worry about it!
    I have an M4SDII (and 30SD) that I use on my ARs with barrels ranging from a 10.3 Colt Mk18 to a 20" SS410 BCM & it works like a champ. Little to no gas to the face using Raptor CHs. My 11.5" BCM is the only one with an adjustable gas block & I honestly don't think I'd need it. I also don't use ear pro with any of them when shooting suppressed, even the 10.3, and it doesn't bother me. The only gun I use ear pro on when shooting suppressed is my Tavor.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Do you run any other calibers besides 556?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Do you run any other calibers besides 556?
    I do not. I don't plan on branching out of that caliber anytime soon either. Helps keep my ammo consolidated to what I need

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I have an M4SDII (and 30SD) that I use on my ARs with barrels ranging from a 10.3 Colt Mk18 to a 20" SS410 BCM & it works like a champ. Little to no gas to the face using Raptor CHs. My 11.5" BCM is the only one with an adjustable gas block & I honestly don't think I'd need it. I also don't use ear pro with any of them when shooting suppressed, even the 10.3, and it doesn't bother me. The only gun I use ear pro on when shooting suppressed is my Tavor.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    That's good to hear. I will always use ear protection when shooting no matter what.

How do you like the 30sd?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    That's good to hear. I will always use ear protection when shooting no matter what.

How do you like the 30sd?
    Ryno - X2 on your 30SD opinion.

Sent you a PM asking the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast