Thread: Who is using 300blk for whitetail?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Who is using 300blk for whitetail?

I am a 10rd mag and a bcg away from a 300blk upper being finished. I plan to hunt it this year. Anyone else?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I do. Indiana just legalized anything with a 243/6mm and 30 caliber bullet in a Rifle with a minimum of 16in barrel.

Means I can't use my damn 12.5in 300 BlkOut upper on my SBR lower like I was wanting to..... Indiana law makers are STUPID but if I put that upper on my BCM Pistol lower, ITS COMPLETELY LEGAL TO USE FOR WHITETAIL BECAUSE IT IS A HANDGUN! ****ing idiots I tell you.

That's what I have been hunting with for 3 years now is 300BlkOut in various barrel lengths on a Pistol lower. 110gr Hornady TAP VMAX does the trick for me real well even at 200 yards.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I do. Indiana just legalized anything with a 243/6mm and 30 caliber bullet in a Rifle with a minimum of 16in barrel.

Means I can't use my damn 12.5in 300 BlkOut upper on my SBR lower like I was wanting to..... Indiana law makers are STUPID but if I put that upper on my BCM Pistol lower, ITS COMPLETELY LEGAL TO USE FOR WHITETAIL BECAUSE IT IS A HANDGUN! ****ing idiots I tell you.

That's what I have been hunting with for 3 years now is 300BlkOut in various barrel lengths on a Pistol lower. 110gr Hornady TAP VMAX does the trick for me real well even at 200 yards.
    I am mostly in brush and literally tossed an upper together and 200 yards is MAX. Most shots are off 60-80 yards. I love traditional rifles but I don't want to worry about beating one down or being out when the weather is less favorable and I enjoy the ar platform anyhow. Putting a 3-9x40 prostaff and pepr mount on it. Probably won't even put buis on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm hoping to have my 10.3" DD pistol SBRed by this fall for my two kids to hunt with.
    I'll probably gonna limit it/them to 100 yards.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've taken about 6 deer using the Barnes TSX 110r BlackTip from an SBR. Works just fine. It's all about placement.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    I've taken about 6 deer using the Barnes TSX 110r BlackTip from an SBR. Works just fine. It's all about placement.
    It usually is. With any caliber. If you care about what you're killing, you should always consider shot placement even with a 500 nitro express. I can't stand folks who preach about 30-06 (which is my favorite deer cartridge) being able to take a crap shot and still get the kill.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I used a 14.5" Noveske with 762SD suppressor to take six deer last season.

Tac TX bullet in my handloads worked pretty well, but for the distances I was shooting I wished I had a 308. (300+ yards)
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Just started using 300Blk this past season using a DS Arms 16". Shot Barnes TSX 110r BlackTip, and I do not know of a better hunting round (though my handloaded 125 gr Hornady SST is not bad). My setup is minimalist and it is light. It is my "walking gun" when I walk around the farm.

Sample size of one and a half.
    One young buck taken at about 40 yards in woods with heart/lung shot; ran 60 yards and dropped. Would larger caliber with same shot placement have resulted in the deer not going as far? Doubt it, unless the caliber difference was extreme.
    A doe shot at 150 yards with hit probably upper lung just below spine; dropped and was down. Cannot say exactly how long I stayed in position with scope on downed deer (it was a decent period), but after I thought done, I started to move and the doe got up and went into nearby swamp before I could get another shot. It was dusk and lost track in water of swamp and lost deer. Deer almost certainly went more than 100 yards in swamp. My guess is that as close to the spine as I think I hit, it shocked her down for a while, but damage insufficient to kill.

I went into detail on the lost deer as preamble to offering an opinion. Ballistics on the Barnes say at 150 yards should be expansion... in gel. If I hit the high lung area as I strongly suspect, I wonder if lighter lung tissue gave insufficient resistance to result in expansion of the Barnes (not picking on Barnes; same issue applies for any other bullet; I still use the Barnes).

I "feel" like with this caliber (which I think of as rough equivalent of 30-30) and with the Barnes bullet characteristics, that >100 yards shot placement takes on not just greater importance but highly significant importance. YMMV, just one guy's opinion. Can only add I have killed far more deer <100 yards by a wide margin than >100 yards. So where I have an expectation of shots <100 yards (i.e. woods) and a fast follow on shot is desirable, I will continue to hunt deer with this weapon (i.e tool for the job).