• 7.62x39

0 0%
  • 9mm

7 26.92%

19 73.08%

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I’m considering my first pistol, that may become an SBR.

Feedback Score

I’m considering my first pistol, that may become an SBR.

Looking at a few directions. Optic will be Sparc 2, or possibly Aimpoint PRO in the future. Trigger will be Hiperfire 24C. Laws will be followed in regards to intent/building order, etc.

1. 8-11” 7.62x39. I have a 16”, so mags etc. are there. Would probably transfer parts (Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block, LMT bolt and Tactical Ambush carrier, maybe handguard) and sell the 16” if I went this route. 10.5" length should allow VFG as a firearm.

a. Buy different barrel and transfer parts

b. Buy different upper and transfer parts

2. 4-9” 9mm. Don’t own a Glock, so I am on the fence as to Glock or Colt pattern lower, and dedicated or mag adapted lower.

3. Short 5.56. Just got into the caliber, so don't have much knowledge about running one.

4. Short 5.7. At bottom of list because I want one, but I don't think it could do anything better than the others, aside from capacity, and probably better for small game use. RDS would be fine with no real rail space.

Ammo is not a worry. Best for short barrel suggestions would be great.
    Can anyone offer opinions or thoughts as to which way to lean?
    Use will be range toy, walk about/hunting pistol, and possible travel to big city vehicle carry.
    No other calibers are currently in consideration.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Of your choices, I'd go with 11" 5.56, followed by a shorter 9mm.

My top choice would be an 8-9" .300 BLK, but that wasn't on your list.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post

+1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    THIS... Though the 11.5" 5.56 would be my second choice. Is there a reason you don't have a 300BLK listed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another vote on the 9-11" .300 BO
    I can only assume the OP is committed to the 7.62x39 and the .300 is too close to justify adding another caliber. To that I'd suggest dumping the 7.62x39 getting a .300 BO, already having something in 5.56 so your covered there for now, next figure which AR lower that accepts Glock mags you want to go with for a near future project.

Wait wait wait, never mind, that's my plan.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    THIS... Though the 11.5" 5.56 would be my second choice. Is there a reason you don't have a 300BLK listed?
    Overall ammo availability, already purchased ammo (8m3, 8HP, SSTs, etc.), 25 years of shooting it, $/rd. superiority of commercially available supersonic hunting ammo, and no widely available subsonic hunting ammo for .300 that gives enough confidence to use on medium game vs. x39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbain99 View Post
    Another vote on the 9-11" .300 BO
    I can only assume the OP is committed to the 7.62x39 and the .300 is too close to justify adding another caliber. To that I'd suggest dumping the 7.62x39 getting a .300 BO, already having something in 5.56 so your covered there for now, next figure which AR lower that accepts Glock mags you want to go with for a near future project.
    I have considered dumping the x39, but only for a 6.5 Grendel. But again, with hunting in Central TX and KY at 25-150 yard ranges, the 6.5G doesn't do much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Overall ammo availability, already purchased ammo (8m3, 8HP, SSTs, etc.), 25 years of shooting it, $/rd. superiority of commercially available supersonic hunting ammo, and no widely available subsonic hunting ammo for .300 that gives enough confidence to use on medium game vs. x39.
    Roger that... My vote is to then go with an 11.5 5.56 pistol to SBR plan. Easiest upper to flip if you decide you're not a fan, and IMHO the perfect length for an SBR 5.56. Do you plan on hunting with this gun, or just keeping the option open?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I hate to pile on, but I too would go with 300 blk. However, this last sentence confused me. There is no widely available x39 subs period, much less suitable for medium game.

However, if you are dead set against it, then a 11.5" 5.56 is my next choice.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-01-16 at 09:03.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Roger that... My vote is to then go with an 11.5 5.56 pistol to SBR plan. Easiest upper to flip if you decide you're not a fan, and IMHO the perfect length for an SBR 5.56. Do you plan on hunting with this gun, or just keeping the option open?
    If I already have the "same" in a rifle length, I'm not sure.

I was only considering the 9mm or the x39 because the shorter barrel wouldn't be as much of hindrance. The 5.7 with the small case should probably be the same.

Asking out of ignorance, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm not sure what kind of velocity hit I am looking at going from a 18" 1:8 Wylde with rifle gas to 11.5". I've got 55-75 grain ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast