Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper spring/buffer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Proper spring/buffer?

Recently I bought a midlength upper and paired it with a lower. My question is, is there a proper weight spring/buffer weight I should be using on a midlength? Ive heard that midlength should be softer shooting than carbine but that doesnt really seem to be the case granted i did not shoot the two side by side. The lower and upper were ordered from different places so i was just thinking the complete lower may be for a carbine? Im new to this so if its a stupid question let me know.

Feedback Score
    Not a stupid question. First off see what kind of buffer is in there already. If it's a carbine buffer try swapping it out for a H2. If the buffer doesn't say what kind it is you can weigh it up, should be about 3oz. I'm a fan of spikes ST-T2 tungsten powder buffer. If your able to or feel the inclination to throw an A5 buffer system in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There's no one answer for buffer size, with so many different variables no 2 rifles will be the same

Gas port size,barrel length,gas block type etc all change how the rifle runs

That being said I run an H in my middy with the factory BCM buffer spring

Generally you can run the heaviest buffer that will reliably lock back the bolt on the last round, however keep in mind doing this may not lock back on low powered ammo like Tula so test with most underpowered ammo you will use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bandw1dth View Post
    Not a stupid question. First off see what kind of buffer is in there already. If it's a carbine buffer try swapping it out for a H2. If the buffer doesn't say what kind it is you can weigh it up, should be about 3oz. I'm a fan of spikes ST-T2 tungsten powder buffer. If your able to or feel the inclination to throw an A5 buffer system in there.

So you are a fan of the spikes T2's? A few people on here have said they are no good. I have two of them i bought for a couple .300blks i built. Im gonna throw one in next time i go to the range. Whats an A5 buffer system?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    There's no one answer for buffer size, with so many different variables no 2 rifles will be the same

Gas port size,barrel length,gas block type etc all change how the rifle runs

That being said I run an H in my middy with the factory BCM buffer spring

Generally you can run the heaviest buffer that will reliably lock back the bolt on the last round, however keep in mind doing this may not lock back on low powered ammo like Tula so test with most underpowered ammo you will use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok, thats what i have. BCM middy with a complete lower i bought from G&R.

Feedback Score

Proper spring/buffer?

I can't comment on the spikes buffer since I haven't tried it.

as for the a5 it's supposed to lower recoil but I never saw the point, 223 recoil is moot and I have plenty of different buffers laying around so I don't see the point of an expensive proprietary system.

If you have the BCM which buffer are you running? I would recommend an H and I believe BCM themselves reccomend it if you are running a 16"

Last edited by boombotz401; 05-02-16 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    I can't comment on the spikes buffer since I haven't tried it.

as for the a5 it's supposed to lower recoil but I never saw the point, 223 recoil is moot and I have plenty of different buffers laying around so I don't see the point of an expensive proprietary system.

If you have the BCM which buffer are you running? I would recommend an H and I believe BCM themselves reccomend it if you are running a 16"

Yea its 16". I didnt put the lower together. It has whatever came with it. Im at work right now, Im gonna look later. I agree about recoil, it certainly isnt much I just want to keep the rds as still as possible for follow up shots. I like to pratice double/triple taps.

Feedback Score
    My H with a BCM comp shoots pretty flat, I don't think you'll be disappointed

Feedback Score
    My H with a BCM comp shoots pretty flat, I don't think you'll be disappointed

Ive shot it. Its real nice for sure, I just didnt notice any difference in recoil from my BCM M4. I really should shoot them side by side though.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's much of a recoil difference, more of an "impulse"

I describe carbine/mid like this

Carbine is like shooting .40 -quick snap faster cycling

Middy is like shooting .45-flatter "push" smoother cycle

You likely wouldn't tell the difference without them side by side unless you shoot the middy often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast