Thread: Aimpoint H1 thermal drift video

Feedback Score

Aimpoint H1 thermal drift video

So because of the EoTech scandal, I guess everyone is curious if what they are using has a POI shift or other issues.
    A friend sent me this video today, which demonstrates thermal shift of a Aimpoint H1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlJX5wCwL4

What do you guys think? He did use a H1 which is a hunting optic and not a T1 or other military rated Aimpoint optic. Did anyone else conduct any testing on Aimpoints? I remember a member here has access to some awesome optical testing equipment in which he tested EoTechs.

Disclaimer:
    I am an Aimpoint fan, period. They have never let me down, my CompM3 served me well for many years, while my EoTech 552 that I was issued along with the M3 was replaced TWICE under warranty (while being barely used) and with the money from my EoTech refund (returning two EXPS3's) I am going to buy another Aimpoint or two.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Aimpoints are parallax free beyond 50 yards.

His 25yard test is meaningless outside of youtube chatroom fodder.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    That's not the way to test that issue.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even if his test was properly done and came to the conclusion that thermal drift occurs in Aimpoint optics. It does not discount the fact that Eotech lied about their optic being parallax free. Eotech optics also suffer from reticle fade an issue related to moisture entering the optics(that is to say Eotech sights are not waterproof), inconsistent adjustments, inconsistent return to zero after temperature changes, failed battery contacts and parasitic battery drain. All of which are well known issues.

MM

Feedback Score
    !. Guy freezes/heats mount together with Optic, then puts it back on rife. Guess how it works or mount return-to-zero.
    2. As a "measurement" tool guys uses rifle that shoots such "nice" groups from completely rested rifle at 25 yards. Seriously?
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reality being what it is and all, I imagine that a properly conducted scientific test will show unequivocally that Aimpoints have significant thermal drift. Yep I said it. Why, you ask? Because physics.

I imagine that ALL optics, unless they are somehow specifically designed to isolate the reticle from the effects of thermal expansion and contraction (possibly such as scopes with sprung reticle planes), will have some degree of thermal drift. The design of the Aimpoint's emitter being what it is, seems to guarantee that there will be some expansion and contraction in it's operating temperature range. That said, I'm not trying to insinuate that it there is something intrinsically WRONG with the design. Only that it has its physical limitations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The maker of that video started three different threads on TOS with his video. He did the "test" and then sold the Aimpoint before he uploaded the video. Too many variables to draw even a marginal conclusion. Then is conveniently unable to do another test because he no longer has it.

I think he is just shilling for youtube views.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I imagine that ALL optics, unless they are somehow specifically designed to isolate the reticle from the effects of thermal expansion and contraction (possibly such as scopes with sprung reticle planes), will have some degree of thermal drift. The design of the Aimpoint's emitter being what it is, seems to guarantee that there will be some expansion and contraction in it's operating temperature range. That said, I'm not trying to insinuate that it there is something intrinsically WRONG with the design. Only that it has its physical limitations.
    Good point. Also rarely we have only optic to be cooled/heated. Usually same happens to rifle and ammunition. And this in real world will make POI shift, sometimes significantly. But what is more important is for sight POA to reliably return to original position when unit temperature goes back to pleasant 22C. In this case all user have to do is to get dope for different ambient temperatures.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Good point. Also rarely we have only optic to be cooled/heated. Usually same happens to rifle and ammunition. And this in real world will make POI shift, sometimes significantly. But what is more important is for sight POA to reliably return to original position when unit temperature goes back to pleasant 22C. In this case all user have to do is to get dope for different ambient temperatures.
    was this test done at the elevated or lowered temperature?

the problem with the eotech was the drift was permanent after temperature fluctuation

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed with what others have said here; not much you can take from this video....