Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question on 338 lapua reloading

Feedback Score
    Yes sorry lapua brass. Sometimes talking into this phone for autotype is not the best. I did watch that same video I believe. When I get more time and get back home tonight I will read through all this stuff again. Super good info and again I appreciate all the help.
    Dan

Feedback Score
    So I took the shell holder off and sized without it, there was no change in shoulder bump. That should mean no shell holder/ die contact?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Without a pic, I would guess that your die is not down far enough. How many thou bump are you getting ?

Feedback Score
    Getting zero bump. That was with the die in the exact same position as it was in with the shell holder on. Not sure where to go from here. I can sure send a pic if I can figure out how on the forum. As a side note and another issue the redding body die showed up. When I tried it it bottomed out on the shell holder before I could get it to bump at all. Does not appear to be contacting anywhere other than the face of the shell holder. I would think with a body die they would give you more than you needed to work with as in being able to push .010+ ? Not sure whether I should take .005 off the body die now or if im missing something else Hmmm
    Last edited by dan68; 05-04-16 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What are your redding dies ?

Feedback Score
    The fls is a b/fl 5s then the body die box says catagory III not sure what that means. Seating with a Wilson
    Just went to order the conversion kit. Says it's currently unavailable, not sure when or if the item will be back in stock. Bummer..
    Last edited by dan68; 05-04-16 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    screw the die down more.

Feedback Score
    The fl sizer without the shell holder on? With the shell holder on I'm as far as I can go. Pretty much have them screwed down to where the press has to cam over fairly heavy.

Feedback Score

Question on 338 lapua reloads

Hey guys I put this in the semi auto section. Hopefully someone can help me with the question as well as maybe putting all the text back here where it belongs. Thanks!
    Dan
    hi and thanks in advance, to hopefully make a long story short, currently have a savage 110 in 338 and have never had an issue reloading for it. recently bought a Christianson arms and cannot reuse any brass that has been shot from it due to the bolt not ejecting them. New brass is ok until after about the 3rd reload. All being full length resized with rcbs dies. bought a redding fl sizer but cant get it to bump the shoulder back thinking that was the problem. the more I reload a cartridge the tighter things get including even chambering. Do I need a body die? Also the trigger pull is terrible. Is there a way to adjust? Its a timiney trigger I believe. again thanks for any help!
    Last edited by dan68; 05-05-16 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Moving to reloading section.

You have to adjust your sizing die, follow the instructions and/or call RCBS. You may need a shorter shell holder if the press ram is already contacting the bottom of the shell holder. Companies do makes these and may come in sets. Another option is having the die trimmed at the bottom the required amount. Bottom line, your brass is growing at every firing and as you've found, won't chamber and have difficulties with extraction. I've have not reloaded the 338, you should consult further with someone local if possible--you have a whole lot of powder in there---
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast