Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Removing over-torqued castle nut

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    A Wheeler strap wrench is a supplementary tool that can be used in conjunction with the dedicated tools for many items on an AR and should be part of a tool kit. The 'Wheeler Fine Gunsmith Equipment AR Armorers Professional Kit' comes with one as part of the package or the 'Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR-15 Strap Wrench Non Marring 567839' can be purchased separately.

It can be used for hand guards, barrel nuts, buffer tubes and those pesky castle nuts that can be marked up.

Still looks pretty meh to me. I don't see that working well on much besides the example shown. I don't really see the need.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Something to also keep in mind is that of wet torque and dry torque.
    Torque values are given as dry, unless otherwise stated. Luring the threads of a fastener generally reduces the friction buoy 20-25% depended the upon the lube used.

For the OP, the anti-seize would have increased the actual torque applied by 24%. If torquing a fastener that has been lubed, the torque value most be reduced. The only fasten on an AR that has a wet torqu value is the barrel nut.

Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Still looks pretty meh to me. I don't see that working well on much besides the example shown. I don't really see the need.
    Looks like that barrel nut was just beyond hand tight. The vise isn't even mounted. I have and do use a strap wrench similar to that one. It does have its uses, but I can't see it effectively removing a properly torqued barrel nut.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Something to also keep in mind is that of wet torque and dry torque.
    Torque values are given as dry, unless otherwise stated. Lubing the threads of a fastener generally reduces the friction buoy 20-25% depended the upon the lube used.

For the OP, the anti-seize would have increased the actual torque applied by 24%. If torquing a fastener that has been lubed, the torque value must be reduced. The only fastener on an AR that has a wet torque value is the barrel nut.
    The carbine castle nut and the rifle receiver extension also have a "wet" torque value.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-30-16 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    The carbine castle nut and the rifle receiver extension also have a "wet" torque value.

I'll be darned........It sure does! I never noticed that before. Thanks for the correction.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    556Cliff:

Good catch. I had noticed that, but never associated it with "wet" versus "dry" torque values. I have that reference at p. 3.81.1 of my 1991 TM copy. I understand there is an update from either 2008 or 2011. Do you know where that might be available? I have searched but my Google-fu may be off.
    Last edited by Amicus; 12-30-16 at 11:53. Reason: "but" not "by"
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    556Cliff:

Good catch. I had noticed that, but never associated it with "wet" versus "dry" torque values. I have that reference at p. 3.81.1 of my 1991 TM copy. I understand there is an update from either 2008 or 2011. Do you know where that might be available? I have searched but my Google-fu may be off.
    I have a copy of the 1991 TM and the newest one I have ever seen was from 2008. I never saw the 2008 version in print with my own eyes though, I only saw it because someone posted a link to it on this forum and it was later removed. > https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-pounds/page2

Just scroll down to post #13 by a0cake. That was the link that used to go to the 2008 TM.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-30-16 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Shoot me your email address, I'll send you a copy of the Nov 2008 TM IF it will "fit".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    TM 9-1005-319-23&P- November 2008

5. Using combination wrench (7) (WP 0039, Figure 23, item 10) and torque wrench (16), torque lower
    receiver extension (4) to 35 to 39 ft-lb (47.25 to 52.65 N-m). Torque is read when both wrenches are
    used together.

6. Lubricate threads of lower receiver (2) and lower receiver extension (8) with molybdenum disulfide
    grease (WP 0045, item 18) before reassembly.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Cut off wheel the nut and split it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    What I came to post.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Considering the topic of this thread does anyone know where the hell I can find a geissele reaction block?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast