Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nickel Teflon (NP3) Bolt Carrier Group BCG

Feedback Score
    I'm gonna take a moment and raise the dead, because the DS Arms NP3 version came back in stock at Primary Arms. I was getting ready to submit an order, but then noticed a little bit of creative marketing (on DS Arms part) that made me take a step back. Their description states...

"Bolt carrier group for your AR-15/ M16. Manufactured and assembled by USGI Contractor DS Arms."

My problem with this? The bolt is listed as 9130, and I'm fairly certain the mil-spec calls for 158. Even so, the material used really isn't my concern in this scenario. There are a number of others who use 9130, and the difference between the two seems to be fairly inconsequential when coming from a reputable manufacturer. I also don't worship at the mil-spec alter and, if anything, it's prevalence in debates/discussions annoys me more than anything else. My problem is the way they describe the product, as highlighted above, somewhat infers that they make BCGs under government contract. One doesn't even have to leave DS Arms' website to discover that they do not make BCGs under a government contract. What they have produced under contract, are parts for the M2, MAG58, and M203. I can appreciate the pride and eagerness to call out their success in supplying parts to the military. Yet, it bugs me a little that they would use the language for products outside of their contract, almost suggesting to the consumer that the bcg they're purchasing is the same that's being supplied to the military. Again, I don't care if I have the exact same product used by the military, as I believe that others can make things just as good or better than the actual contract parts. I simply take issue with the inference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I do wonder if things like this rub anyone else the wrong way. Still, inference aside, I'd be interested to know if their BCG is a quality product. The price is great, and the specs still look pretty good. Reviews are solid, and the only real "complaints" center around cosmetics; not function. Anyone actually have first-hand experience? Maybe even with their non-NP3 models?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    They say they are a contractor, but don't specify for bolts, kind of misleading it seems.

Feedback Score
    I have the Sharps NP3+ version of their complete BCG and it has ran flawlessly. I can't really report much else on it other than that, it has been boringly reliable. Is it worth the additional money over a BCM? That's up to you - personal choice.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Slight necropost, but specific to this thread. Has anyone else had NP3 BCGs "dry out" after normal firing schedules, particularly noticable when first cycling the action the next time.you use the rifle/carbine?

I have an 18" rifle length gas upper with a Sionics BCG. It seems like if I go shoot it a bit, the BCG gets "chaulky", and takes more force than normal to cycle manually the first few times after i grab it again. I eventually solve this problem by throwing a few drops of oil on the BCG before throwing it back in the safe each time. I noticed the same thing on a 16 inch mid-length using a NP3 carrier with parkerized bolt (carrier and bolt from Sionics). I'll check with my buddy who has a very similar 18" running a Sionics NP3 BCG. But I never get this with standard finishes on the BCG. It seems like the gas rings are getting dried out.

My theory as of now is that the slicker finish sheds oil faster, but the doesn't make all that much sense to me since the gas rings should be affected the same. What say you?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Necro-post.

Has anyone actually gotten experience with the DS Arms NTFE BCG?

$110 at Primary Arms is pretty tempting. From what I’ve read searching, the NP3 coating is not done by Robar, while Sionics likely/is. $110 vs $190.

Seriously, I know Sionics is the shizzle and a known, reliable vendor and sponsor of the site. I am absolutely going to buy their products, within the next six weeks. I’m simply pointing out the price difference and asking if anyone has experience with the DS Arms product to see if there is an opportunity to pay $80 less on a similar product.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    All day, every day, Sionics BCG. I have at least 3 of them, and they’re fantastic. Wouldn’t do a build without one now. Right material, NP3 over electroless nickel. They are perfect!!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Definitely all over the NP3, just looking to see if the coating and bolt itself are similarly well done by DS Arms.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Slight necropost, but specific to this thread. Has anyone else had NP3 BCGs "dry out" after normal firing schedules, particularly noticable when first cycling the action the next time.you use the rifle/carbine?

I have an 18" rifle length gas upper with a Sionics BCG. It seems like if I go shoot it a bit, the BCG gets "chaulky", and takes more force than normal to cycle manually the first few times after i grab it again. I eventually solve this problem by throwing a few drops of oil on the BCG before throwing it back in the safe each time. I noticed the same thing on a 16 inch mid-length using a NP3 carrier with parkerized bolt (carrier and bolt from Sionics). I'll check with my buddy who has a very similar 18" running a Sionics NP3 BCG. But I never get this with standard finishes on the BCG. It seems like the gas rings are getting dried out.

My theory as of now is that the slicker finish sheds oil faster, but the doesn't make all that much sense to me since the gas rings should be affected the same. What say you?
    If you take the bolt and cam pin out and cycle the carrier back and forth gently with the charging handle, you will probably find any and all resistance disappears, and is not in the carrier bearing surfaces OD dimensions. Sometimes the carrier cam pin can bind a little bit in your upper for various reasons, and it is not the coating, until the mating parts wear in, and it is more noticeable when their is little to no lube, no matter the finish or metal treatment used on the parts.
    Last edited by Biggy; 06-17-18 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Necro-post.

Has anyone actually gotten experience with the DS Arms NTFE BCG?

$110 at Primary Arms is pretty tempting. From what I’ve read searching, the NP3 coating is not done by Robar, while Sionics likely/is. $110 vs $190.

Seriously, I know Sionics is the shizzle and a known, reliable vendor and sponsor of the site. I am absolutely going to buy their products, within the next six weeks. I’m simply pointing out the price difference and asking if anyone has experience with the DS Arms product to see if there is an opportunity to pay $80 less on a similar product.
    Looking at the pictures you dont see any of the machine marks on the Sionics. One, you have to trust the underlying BCG, and two you have to trust the coating. The Sionics is a tier 1 BCG. I do not get the impression that the DSArms is.

Feedback Score
    NP3 is a great coating for this application. Nitride is, too, and is generally way cheaper. Toolcraft nitride BCGs are a great alternative to spending $200 on an NP3 bolt. I have a few and they run like Swiss watches and wipe clean with a dry paper towel.

In 2018, parkerized bolts are for the birds.

"But, muh mil-spec!"

"But muh 60 year old design!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234