Thread: Rock River Arms .223 Varmit 20" stainless bull barrel

Feedback Score

Rock River Arms .223 Varmit 20" stainless bull barrel

Does anyone have any info on this rifle.....good/bad.....accuracy..good/bad...reliable..yes/no It will mainly be used for shooting at 100-200 yards with friends for bragging rights LOL & my budget is around $1100.00 for the rifle,already have a great scope.

Thanks in advance,
    John Reno

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know someone with one and it's accurate and the 2 stage trigger feels nice but it's heavy AF. I don't have a scale but it feels heavier than my 16" Douglas with 1lb TBAC and 2lb Bushnell LRHS/NF Unimount. I think the RRA is limited as a bench or varmint only rifle.

People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks buddy.......oh,this will be used only on the bench.I've heard these rifles are real tack drivers even out to 500 yards with the right load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one that I picked up in trade. With 55gr match loads, it will damn near stack rounds supposing I do my part and for cheap-ish ammo and small groups the Hornady Steel match works quite well, am sure if I was inclined . Have not had much luck with 75gr loads thus far even though the 1/8 barrel should be able to run them well, could just be my barrel though and no indicative of the entire line though. I have other loads in the bin for testing as well, 69gr, 60gr, and others to see if perhaps the couple 75gr loadings just aren't to the gun's liking.

And yes, the rifle weighs a ton. I like pulling it out from time to time, and shouldering it and holding it there when I start to think my other ARs are getting heavy. Breaks me of that real fast. I think mine, unloaded, with a Bunshell 3-9X40 scope, RRA mount, and nothing else weighs in around the 11 pound mark if I remember correctly.

Trigger is nice, but have seen a few issues with the RRA two stage that if I were going to use the rifle for more than a range toy I'd swap it for something else.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Kain;

thanks for the info,it looks like this rifle is kind of hard to get reports on,but the ones I have gotten on other forums seem to agree with you.....55gr & 60gr bullets are darn near 1 holers with Varget & Hornady V-Max.

Feedback Score
    I had a RRA rifle with a heavy 18 inch bull barrel with RRA national match two stage trigger. The trigger was nice for a while, however, it turned into a light mushy single stage after a few thousand rounds. I would not buy one ever again. Also, the heavy 18 inch bull barrel was capable of shooting groups that approached half minute of angle for ten shots with my handloads, and would easily shoot several factory loads under one MOA. The problem was that by about 1600 rounds the barrel would no longer shoot any load under two MOA.

Based on my experience with this one rifle I would suggest your money would be much better spent on a better barrel and a better trigger. Don't waste your time or money on RRA.

Feedback Score
    twm134:

Thanks for the info.I've had several RRA 2 stage triggers on other rifles so I know their short comings.I know a few tricks to make them better & run longer,but my serious rifles all get a JP single stage match trigger & speed hammer.I found out these rifles have a Wilson barrel which explains why the accuracy is some what short lived.Again I know those barrels fairly well,they last about 2500 rounds IF you keep the velocity below 3000 fps & use flat base bullets.Since I do most of my shooting at 100-300 yards that's not a problem for me.If I get the "deal" on this rifle I think I will it might be worth a try.......again,thanks to everyone for the info,it is appreciated.

Best wishes,
    John Reno